Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Running makes the weight just fall off you. On a bike you don't feel the extra kg's as much as one does when running.

Always found it to be very effective if I want to drop weight quickly. Back when I actually ran consistently I could eat literally anything and the weight just kept dropping...

Yep, in the years I've been cycling, I never once saw my weight drop from being on the saddle. Got myself a pair of Asics in December 2017, started running with the Mrs at the beginning of 2018, we ran almost every day, and in 10 days I could see a difference in my weight. Picked up a slight knee pain after the 10 days and went to the Chiropractor, who told me to stop running, so I did, and I sold the Asics. I think where I went wrong was I pushed myself too hard in the beginning, instead of starting off slow with the tekkies. Got myself a new pair of trail running tekkies in October last year, and a new pair of road running tekkies in November. I prefer running on a trail than on the road as I find it more interesting, although the best time for us to go trail running is over the weekends.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight / Strength training will help as well as more muscle = increased base metabolic rate. But muscle will add to the scale, so you should actually be measuring cms around the middle and body fat percentage.

Edited by Jacquers

Sources, please.

Start by reading the Lore of Nutrition. In Tim Noakes' case with the HPCSA all they could come up with was a shoddy paper called the Naude review compared to his more than 6000 pages of evidence. I'll get other sources from the book, but it really is worth a read. 

This will put things in perspective:

https://keepfitnesslegal.crossfit.com/2017/01/05/big-food-vs-tim-noakes-the-final-crusade/

Don't want to bash you with low carb high fat, but just give that article a read. Our dietary guidelines are based research sponsored by the sugar association, coca cola and other big food companies. Then decide for yourself. 

I'm in!

Not sure why I didn't see this thread earlier, but its a great idea! not a massive goal to lose 5kg (numbers-wise), but more importantly I want to drop my body fat percentage to below 10%. sitting at 12.5% at the moment (caliper measure). 

Im in.

Maintained 97kg's the whole year last year. NYD weigt was 96kg.

Target weight is 82kg by December. Cutting out beer, bread and prepared meals.

Bought an indoor trainer to supplement my 3 day a week mtb rides.

Good luck to everyone. May you reach your targets

I'm in!

Not sure why I didn't see this thread earlier, but its a great idea! not a massive goal to lose 5kg (numbers-wise), but more importantly I want to drop my body fat percentage to below 10%. sitting at 12.5% at the moment (caliper measure). 

5kg less on the bike makes a difference.

5kg less on the bike makes a difference.

Definitely! I'm already 30 odd kilos down from my heaviest in 2014, but yes can't rationalise spending thousands to save a few hundred grams on the bike when I can lose a couple kgs [emoji23]

Agreed. I have always been of the opinion that you must have to be as light as possible, make sure the wheels and hubs are good quality and the frame must be ridgid and not flex to much.

Spending a lot of money on a bike and like me you are overweight does not make sense.

Difference between an empty water bottle and a full one is 750 gram. Your seating position and wind resistance also makes a huge difference.

I know my 18kg fat is standing between me and being where I want to be on a hill. FACT!

Agreed. I have always been of the opinion that you must have to be as light as possible, make sure the wheels and hubs are good quality and the frame must be ridgid and not flex to much.

Spending a lot of money on a bike and like me you are overweight does not make sense.

Difference between an empty water bottle and a full one is 750 gram. Your seating position and wind resistance also makes a huge difference.

I know my 18kg fat is standing between me and being where I want to be on a hill. FACT!

Agreed.

I always weighed somewhere between 68 and 82 from 2008, when I got my first mtb, and hills were one of my best parts of an event as some of them were challenging. 2014 came, and I was up to 105kg. I was not very active on the bike in 2014, 2015 as well.

I am in as well (again  :whistling:).  Need to loose about 13kg as an initial goal and hopefully 6-10 by the end of March (in time for C2T), would love to loose 17-19kg by the end of October however.  

Did well at the beginning of last year and also cycled a lot, then life got in the way and laziness, basically did a third of my normal rides and gym visits after Baviaans last year, also picked up 7kg from September.  Take-away's was probably the biggest culprit.

I know what I am supposed to do with regards to eating and it is similar to what JohanDiv mentioned yesterday, also went back to the gym this week to work on strength and core.

Edited by PieterJvR

Start by reading the Lore of Nutrition. In Tim Noakes' case with the HPCSA all they could come up with was a shoddy paper called the Naude review compared to his more than 6000 pages of evidence. I'll get other sources from the book, but it really is worth a read. 

This will put things in perspective:

https://keepfitnesslegal.crossfit.com/2017/01/05/big-food-vs-tim-noakes-the-final-crusade/

Don't want to bash you with low carb high fat, but just give that article a read. Our dietary guidelines are based research sponsored by the sugar association, coca cola and other big food companies. Then decide for yourself. 

I'll agree with you that there has historically been issues with setting of national dietary guidelines. Not only in SA, but all over the world. Big pharma, dairy, beef, sugar, etc. etc. hold considerable sway over the committees setting the guidelines and have influenced them into setting guidelines which will get people to eat their crap food. However, there is change afoot. 

Have a look at the Flemish food 'pyramid'

voedingsdriehoek-website.png

The US has removed 'meat' as a mandatory food group and replaced it with 'protein', i.e. people should choose what they want to eat, beans, animal products, and so forth. 

myplate_slider_dairy_1.png

Even Canada is revamping their food guidelines to emphasise more plant foods. 

This shows that there is a shift occurring, with the guidelines now more closely aligning with what so many studies are showing us - as you move along the spectrum and eat more whole plant foods, your health outcomes improve. 

Regarding the Noakes debacle, frankly, I'm not going there. I didn't follow it and I'm not going to wade in now. 

Okay, I certainly don't have the time to read through all her sources, but I did check out those she referenced in regards to #4 . 

She's quite sly. She frequently references studies including participants on low carb diets. However, many of the participants were still eating ~30% carbs, with no reference to overall macro breakdown. Not nowhere near keto levels. None of the studies referenced were comparing keto diets vs other diets. She simply relies on the readers bias to not think critically about it and presume that 'low carb' meant keto.