Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Of the 70 that started the year, it looks like only 21 remain. Between the lot of us remaining, we've managed to lose a combined 84kg since the start of January..  :thumbup:

Edit: Sorry Veebee, forgot you said you'll weigh-in later. I jumped the gun a bit, maybe a few other guys also still weighing in tonight..

Edited by JohanDiv

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 70 that started the year, it looks like only 21 remain. Between the lot of us remaining, we've managed to lose a combined 84kg since the start of January..  :thumbup:

Edit: Sorry Veebee, forgot you said you'll weigh-in later. I jumped the gun a bit, maybe a few other guys also still weighing in tonight..

I hope you excluded me, I seem to be gaining, not losing... 

As i said earlier i missed my 1000 km training goal by 90 km last month so am determined to do it this month but the first day we already have rain in the afternoon . Not a good start to april . Ill make up the km's during the public holidays .

Ok back at it, I joined the challenge last year January and straight after that had a disastrous 6 months where I picked up about 10 kg and hardly rode my bike. Never even logged my weight last year. Finally in August realised this cannot continue and got serious again about training and eating properly. From August to December I lost around 13 kg and felt the best I have in years, both on and off the bike.

Then, this year January I decided to join the challenge again and guess what, the wheels came off again. Too many work commitments, etc, etc and I have managed to pick up about 4.5 kg from what I weighted end of December. Luckily decided to fix this sooner than what I did last year so rejoined Weight Watchers last week and managed to loose 1.8kg in the first week back.

Now to just stick to being disciplined and accountable. I have to get down to goal weight this year. 10kg more to go.

I only recently joined the hub and only now saw this thread, is it still possible to join? If yes, do I just add my metrics to the bottom of the list?

I only recently joined the hub and only now saw this thread, is it still possible to join? If yes, do I just add my metrics to the bottom of the list?

Jip, just add to the bottom of the list. Welcome!!

March was a bad month for me. Training hard but eating just as hard !! family commitments ,work functions saw me just pigging out. Up 3kg from February weigh in. Im hoping lots of water retention . Motivated for April . Hopefully we can all get it done this month. Good luck guys .

As i said earlier i missed my 1000 km training goal by 90 km last month so am determined to do it this month but the first day we already have rain in the afternoon . Not a good start to april . Ill make up the km's during the public holidays .

Apologies for thread hijack... :offtopic:

Nice going. I have been setting myself a modest 500km per month target, and have comfortably been making it, but since I started doing that, my groupset and tyres saw their proverbial hole much sooner than I wanted (or afforded).

How are you managing wear and tear?

Apologies for thread hijack... :offtopic:

Nice going. I have been setting myself a modest 500km per month target, and have comfortably been making it, but since I started doing that, my groupset and tyres saw their proverbial hole much sooner than I wanted (or afforded).

How are you managing wear and tear?

I have two bikes and the distance is shared about equally . The Ghost Carbon i ride on the road with slicks and the Silverback aluminium i ride off road . Both  have had new chains and one has had a chan ring replaced . MTB Tyres will give me about another 2000 km , and the slicks will go many more km's . i have only had one puncture in the slicks . I service my own bikes so small things that need sorting are done as they happen .I broke a spoke on Sunday on my slick wheels and replaced it yesterday . 

I have two bikes and the distance is shared about equally . The Ghost Carbon i ride on the road with slicks and the Silverback aluminium i ride off road . Both  have had new chains and one has had a chan ring replaced . MTB Tyres will give me about another 2000 km , and the slicks will go many more km's . i have only had one puncture in the slicks . I service my own bikes so small things that need sorting are done as they happen .I broke a spoke on Sunday on my slick wheels and replaced it yesterday . 

Ah, that makes sense. I may just breath life back into my hard tail for my on-road riding, and leave my dual-sus for the trails.

I just had to replace my 2x11 groupo, and got talked into upgrading to 1x12 NX Eagle...that is a costly exercise I am not keen to have to undergo soon again. My HT has a 3x10 groupset which has about 5000km on, but the bike is still serviceable, and only cost me about R7000 back in 2014, so I am unwilling to spend more on that bike. It will have to do as my go-to "mileage" bike until it won't anymore.

Ah, that makes sense. I may just breath life back into my hard tail for my on-road riding, and leave my dual-sus for the trails.

I just had to replace my 2x11 groupo, and got talked into upgrading to 1x12 NX Eagle...that is a costly exercise I am not keen to have to undergo soon again. My HT has a 3x10 groupset which has about 5000km on, but the bike is still serviceable, and only cost me about R7000 back in 2014, so I am unwilling to spend more on that bike. It will have to do as my go-to "mileage" bike until it won't anymore.

My Ghost is also a 3X10 but dual sus. so its comfortable even locked front and back for road training . With a 42 big ring its easy to stay with roadies until you hit the downhills  :eek: then its tickets. Im an old roadie and know how to sit tight in a bunch and suck a good wheel .

I decided to get back on the bike on this weekend...holy crap...did i get dropped...turned back early and still got caught before i got back to pirates :(  When you see the group you normally ride with disappear over the top of the hill and you are not even half way up the hill...you know its time to pull finger...its just getting the motivation to go again...i certainly felt the extra weight on the hill.

I decided to get back on the bike on this weekend...holy crap...did i get dropped...turned back early and still got caught before i got back to pirates :(  When you see the group you normally ride with disappear over the top of the hill and you are not even half way up the hill...you know its time to pull finger...its just getting the motivation to go again...i certainly felt the extra weight on the hill.

The difference in weight is definitely noticeable when running! I had a very nice run the other day and it has made me think twice about trying to put on (too much) extra muscle (or fat) mass.