Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

No amount of secret training is going to help you lose weight if your diet is as sh*tty as mine was this last two months!!

Jeez I've been hitting my weekly goals of 10km running, 130km cycling, 2500m vertical gain constantly and I'm still not breaking that 90kg barrier!

It's getting frustrating to say the least, but I just can't seem to find the discipline to just eat right 6 days of the week and cheat 1 day.

Cheat days are now almost 3-4 days a week and way too much drinking beer the last two months.

At least I managed to keep the weight more or less constant within a kg or two over this period.

April will be about more discipline and planning when it comes to what I eat to get me back on track.

The problem is the Cheat day.. just don't budget for a cheat day at all..get a diet you can maintain, keep to it, don't by junk food at all, buy real foods, and if you go out to mates and that try to be strict on your self but you don't have to say no to the cake.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the Cheat day.. just don't budget for a cheat day at all..get a diet you can maintain, keep to it, don't by junk food at all, buy real foods, and if you go out to mates and that try to be strict on your self but you don't have to say no to the cake.

The key word here is Real Food.

Eat yourself thin. Dont diet yourself thin.

To be clear.. by cheat day I don't mean fast food or take aways. A cheat day for me means I can have aartappels, braaibroodjies and garlic bread with my braaivleis, or a pasta meal. Rest of the week is lean meats, eggs, veggies and salads for me. One cheat day a week is what works for me. I have lost 35kg like that and kept it off. Going out with mates and controlling myself not really the issue, but three bachelor weekends and three wedding weekends the past two months made it pretty much impossible to keep it straight.

I've given this bit of advice some thought over the years and can't fathom why you would go hell for leather 6 days and then crush yourself one day with rubbish.

Like both you and Vetseun point out; eat yourself thin through sustainable real foods.

My wife has a rule when buying and it is not always doable, but its her rule and she stocks to it as much as possible - how many stages are what she buys removed from the process of picking?

The rule is the 4th general stage is troublesome -

1. Pick and wash (slaughter and pack)

2. pack

3. Dice/cut and pack

4. additional processing after 3?

That's when the decisions start being implemented. Be between 1 and 3 for the fresh produce, fruit and meats. It has done wonders for me the past few months when coupled with sensible training.

I've given this bit of advice some thought over the years and can't fathom why you would go hell for leather 6 days and then crush yourself one day with rubbish.

Like both you and Vetseun point out; eat yourself thin through sustainable real foods.

My wife has a rule when buying and it is not always doable, but its her rule and she stocks to it as much as possible - how many stages are what she buys removed from the process of picking?

The rule is the 4th general stage is troublesome -

1. Pick and wash (slaughter and pack)

2. pack

3. Dice/cut and pack

4. additional processing after 3?

That's when the decisions start being implemented. Be between 1 and 3 for the fresh produce, fruit and meats. It has done wonders for me the past few months when coupled with sensible training.

I like your thinking.. 

I use a slightly shorter version..

"If i have to read the label to see what's it made from.... it doesn't get bought"

although I follow the Keto/banting diet, which i lost 35kgs on, I do believe its not really which diet you follow but how pure the stuff you do put in your mouth is, I.e the more refine/ processed something is the worse it is for you.

The problem is the Cheat day.. just don't budget for a cheat day at all..

I hit a plateau at 100kg. Once I completely stopped doing the cheat day thing, the weight kept coming off. Down to 93kg as of this am. 

The key word here is Real Food.

Eat yourself thin. Dont diet yourself thin.

Exactly this. You can eat great food without ever feeling deprived (of cheats etc.)

-2.8 kg for March :)

Had a mini binge with pizza and fondue over the long weekend, but overall I'm happy with my progress. I agree with those promoting a more sustainable long term change in eating, rather than a restrictive diet which usually results in a binge or two like I had. The long term approach does take a bit longer andd requires more patience, but the results should also last longer. Keeping a food diary and tracking what you eat helps.

The results from our office challenge:

post-19687-0-35389400-1553867623_thumb.png

Edited by Jacquers

-2.8 kg for March :)

Had a mini binge with pizza and fondue over the long weekend, but overall I'm happy with my progress. I agree with those promoting a more sustainable long term change in eating, rather than a restrictive diet which usually results in a binge or two like I had. The long term approach does take a bit longer andd requires more patience, but the results should also last longer. Keeping a food diary and tracking what you eat helps.

The results from our office challenge:

attachicon.gifBiggest Loser Results (March 2019).png

Well done!!

Yes, tracking calories is the only thing that works for me. Not just tracking what you eat, but also how much. Portion control and snacking between meals was my downfall. When you start counting is when you only realize how much you are actually consuming!

Agree, sustainable healthy eating habit is the way to go. No crash diet will work, you'll loose interest and gain everything back again. And just leave the take aways, junk food and sodas completely. Like we all agreed yesterday, you can have delicious sustainable meals from healthy foods all the time. 

I just really have to focus to get my "cheat days" down to one per week again and not 3-4 days a week like the last two months. By "cheat days" I mean meals that contain pasta, cheese, bread, rice, or potatoes. Ate those foods with my meals too much these last two months so my weight just kept constant, fluctuating 1kg around 91kg.

Only one day a week eating those foods, the rest of the week only foods from Item 1. that Ed-Zulu posted yesterday and I'll start dropping weight again. Basically eggs, chicken, fish or red meat with a million different options of salads and veggies. You can't get bored of that!

I took a break from trolling the classifieds to share. I started the year on 134Kgs, I'm currently on 118, but its hard. It's like going for a ride with 25 2Liter Cokes in a backpack. 1kilo of fat has about 7000calories in it. There is no way I can ride that off and still eat what I like. So now its down to eating smaller eating right and ignoring the sniggers from the tweety bird cyclists as they blast past me in the cradle. I long for the day I can get into an argument with the bike shop over which saddle is lighter.

I took a break from trolling the classifieds to share. I started the year on 134Kgs, I'm currently on 118, but its hard. It's like going for a ride with 25 2Liter Cokes in a backpack. 1kilo of fat has about 7000calories in it. There is no way I can ride that off and still eat what I like. So now its down to eating smaller eating right and ignoring the sniggers from the tweety bird cyclists as they blast past me in the cradle. I long for the day I can get into an argument with the bike shop over which saddle is lighter.

You already lost 32x 500g Rama Margarine bakkies! Well done! Next time when you are in Pick n Pay stack 32 of them together and see how much that actually is! That will surely keep the motivation up to drop even more..

I have a friend that decided to start cycling at the start of the year after seeing what difference it made for me, and now all of a sudden he eats pies for breakfast! He tells me he can now eat whatever he wants because he is exercising now, but he still can't understand why he's not losing any weight haha. 

It's definitely somewhere in the range of 70% diet and 30% exercise if you want to lose weight.

Don't worry about the guys commenting when they cycle past you, those are the average chops you'll ride circles around if you keep on cycling for a year or two. Talking out of personal experience here..

Anybody who sniggers at somebody who is trying to better themselves is an idiot farkhead in my book.

Well done so far. Much respect.

16kg's in almost 3 months? That's no simple feat, Flatdog. Congrats!!! 

if you have read my previous posts and threads...you will know i believe its all in your mind...you get that right and everything else follows ...diets...training etc...today i woke up and realized i am not depressed in fact from from it...my problem is my state of being...i am comfortable at 100 kg...i have achieved more than i set out to achieve a couple years ago...what more do i need to do...i keep using the bump on my head last year as an excuse to take it easy...being one of the many ...crazy but true. 

i get up in the morning and think it is too dangerous to walk...too dangerous to ride on the road...etc etc etc ...i always have an excuse...even to a point that i have one broken spoke on 1  wheel ...i have 2 sets of wheels...so really a lame excuse.

I have never been a big fan of Tony Robbins...never bothered to listen to him or watch his content...however this morning a video popped up in the youtube feed...so i started watching it (I have learnt how to bypass all the ads...the yellow bits)...i watched 2 interviews the attached being one of them...if you are battling to loose weight...it has absolutely nothing to do with diets etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cupNVLP6M

I have been in the same place...had mates laughing at me sitting on the side of the single track almost in tears...had the fat boy chirps...had the "oh my we have to wait for fatty again" ...i had an old bike which didnt look the part ...and i even had a comment " you shouldnt be wearing lycro if you are so fat..you look hideous".

i use to get off the bike and push it up my driveway and just about every hill...since then there is not one hill i walk up and i have since ridden up the steepest hills in Durban...including buttery next to the bird park...from the bottom all the way to the top.

i will never forget a ride i did one sunday morning...right at the back up and down the hills on the bluff...there was a cyclist in really clean smart looking kit...bike was in mint clean condition...i thought what a chop...as we rode my view of him changed...every hill he slowed down and pushed the other big guy up all the hills...i wished it was me he was pushing...what a gentleman...he had the legs to push both of us...and i am sure he would have if he could...it is not always about being the fittest and fastest...i have a lot more respect for that cyclist than the person who was the fastest up the hills that day. 

It is a long hard battle...keep it up...it will be worth it. 

Edited by eccc whippet