close passes again and again

daveno7

Donald Grant in the MEC for transport and public works in WC

Report directly to the company, not to DG....or name them here....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WC asked for 1.5m, but 1m was  made law. For some reason I can not find when the 1.2m became law, maybe I misread (read what I wanted to read) :-(

Oh i see. So WC bylaw was implemented at 1m, but if the 1.2 is now national law, it'll override the 1m right?

I don't think you misread, I'm confident that I remember finding out about the 1.2m proposal from an article read on the hub! It is here, somewhere

Not to keep banging on about "how great Spain is" but where we live the 1.5m rule here is adhered to religiously. Most cars passing a bike won't even be on your side of the road, they'll cross the center line to give you space.

I don't know whether this is because the drivers have been educated properly, or because the rules are imposed properly by a pretty well respected police force and there ARE consequences for breaking them, or because traffic volume is less and the pace of life a little slower . . .?

Is Donald Grant the owner of the company? Name and shame company please...or at least send it to PPA 

Here's another image after the first one. Not sure PPA would do anything? I don't know if you have to open a case personally. 

post-32108-0-78931800-1546850451_thumb.png

Here's another image after the first one. Not sure PPA would do anything? I don't know if you have to open a case personally. 

Did you report the bad driving to the company ? As per the phone number on the back?

Did you report the bad driving to the company ? As per the phone number on the back?

No, I don't think companies care at all. I've reported bad driving multiple times before and never heard back: Golden Arrow, cab companies, etc. (which is why I contacted the MEC this time).

After seeing this thread I feel kind of bad that I didn't make a case at the time. As someone said earlier in the thread: perhaps some examples need to be made so that people take notice.

That being said, I cycle/commute almost every day and the vast majority of people give you a lot of space and are reasonably patient. In my sample of one (me) I think drivers have become more courteous/aware than 10 years ago.

Oh i see. So WC bylaw was implemented at 1m, but if the 1.2 is now national law, it'll override the 1m right?

I don't think you misread, I'm confident that I remember finding out about the 1.2m proposal from an article read on the hub! It is here, somewhere

The national law is for 1,5m but it has not been passed yet as far as I know.

It will supersede the WC 1m law unless the WC go bigger.

There are plenty of countries that have a 1,5m law.

Going up Constantia Neck from the M3 side and was brushed by a delivery truck. Had video running at the time. I contacted Donald Grant and was told to contact SAPS and lay a charge. I never did it but assume that's the way to go.

Image shows how close the truck was. Anyone who has gone up that road knows how terrifying it is.

Close call! Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I actually got pushed off the road onto the gravel.

And the thing that pissed me off the most was that the oncoming lane was empty so the driver could of easily given space.

The national law is for 1,5m but it has not been passed yet as far as I know.

It will supersede the WC 1m law unless the WC go bigger.

There are plenty of countries that have a 1,5m law.

It is for 1.2m NOT 1.5M

I know everyone is hardegat and "I have a right to be there" but this is why i dont use a tar road unless there is a massive yellow lane. I love my life and family too much and dont want to put them through a public trial of an idiot that thought he was far enough away from me.

I know everyone is hardegat and "I have a right to be there" but this is why i dont use a tar road unless there is a massive yellow lane. I love my life and family too much and dont want to put them through a public trial of an idiot that thought he was far enough away from me.

Isn't this exactly what Porqui referred to, the "victim mentality that ensues"?

It's not even about standing your ground or not, it's about doing something about transgressors. What difference does "I have a right to be here" make if you get struck by a car turning in front of you at an intersection or are you able to circumvent intersections entirely? Dangerous and risky areas can wilfully be avoided, but accidents through uncontrollable recklessness, I don't see how without hanging the bike up forever.

No, I don't think companies care at all. I've reported bad driving multiple times before and never heard back: Golden Arrow, cab companies, etc. (which is why I contacted the MEC this time).

After seeing this thread I feel kind of bad that I didn't make a case at the time. As someone said earlier in the thread: perhaps some examples need to be made so that people take notice.

That being said, I cycle/commute almost every day and the vast majority of people give you a lot of space and are reasonably patient. In my sample of one (me) I think drivers have become more courteous/aware than 10 years ago.

I think some companies do care - I run cameras on my training bike and if I can identify a close pass company/organisation I usually call them and generally get a good response - especially when they see video - I have even had a couple of personalized apology calls from drivers - this is pretty funny when you can hear the MD yelling in the background at him....

I am willing to bet you will get an appropriate response if you share those photos with the company who owns that truck.

It is for 1.2m NOT 1.5M

Has it been gazetted and have you seen it yourself?

Not gazetted not law.

Big problem is that even if it is law now how does the motorist/driver get to know about it. Here in the WC the general motorist is not aware of the 1m law.

I have spoken to transgressors and most are not aware of it. I have spoken to traffic officers even phoned their superiors and most of  them are not aware of it (struth).

What is needed is a concerted effort to get it out there via radio stations like Cape Talk.

Yes I am one of those pain in the butt riders who will stop and inform you of the law (in a nice way) yep have nearly got klapped for it too. Yes I stop at red traffic lights.

Edited by porqui

Not gazetted not law.

Big problem is that even if it is law now how does the motorist/driver get to know about it. Here in the WC the general motorist is not aware of the 1m law.

I have spoken to transgressors and most are not aware of it. I have spoken to traffic officers even phoned their superiors and most of  them are not aware of it (struth).

What is needed is a concerted effort to get it out there via radio stations like Cape Talk.

Yes I am one of those pain in the butt riders who will stop and inform you of the law (in a nice way) yep have nearly got klapped for it too. Yes I stop at red traffic lights.

Apparently not law yet, but the recommendation is 1.2m and not 1.5m

Not gazetted not law.

Thumbsucking here as I can't provide document proof, but isn't/wasn't parts of getting a learner's license for driving to be a responsible driver, always staying fresh and on top of the latest law?

Obviously many people don't, but the point is if it is on paper and lawful, it could be used to support the condemning of offenders.