Indoor trainers

LeonvT

Hi everyone,

Life happened and now my daily commute to work will be about 3 hours in total resulting in me not being able to do any week day riding and with family time being limited to weekends now I will have very limited time to get out riding.

I now need to find an indoor training option that will allow me to do short high intensity workouts at night so that I can stay fit and strong. When I do get out I want to be able to make the most of it

What are you recommendations for trainers?

I do know about some of the awesome highend trainers out there but I am also on a tight budget.

Are spinning bikes a viable option?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the smart trainers will be good.  You want something that will keep you entertained.  Dumb trainers and spinning bikes will not do that.

There's plenty of apps to train on and info on the forum from other people who have done the same thing.

What Fanie said and there are plenty more.

To answer the spinning bike question, IMHO, NO!!!! They take up space are a mission to move. Unless you have a dedicated man cave that the wife can't complain about then it's a no go.

I have a dumb trainer (if CycleOps don’t mind me calling the Super Magneto “dumb”), and a crank-based power meter (left side only). It has served me well for the last 3 years, and will probably continue into the future.

Trainer - R3k

PM - R4.5k (4iiii)

Advantage is, that I can still use the same PM on the road, resulting in a trainer costing R3k. It does the job, for me.

Disadvantage is that I have to stop to change the resistance... but that’s why I have gears. Just requires learning which gear turns at x-cadence and y-Watts.

I also refuse to spend 1000's on a smart trainer - Here is my setup

Old Steel TREK road bike

Dumb trainer = TACX FLOW

Garmin Spd/Cad sensor

Gen2 Ipad mounted on TACX Ipad handlebar mount

ANT+ 30pin dongle

Garmin HR strap.

Trainer Road annual subscription = 99 USD per year

Spotify app - free version. have selected 4 hrs of training music in the library

I train using virtual power.

I use the TR desktop app to view / monitor progress as well as Stravistix Perfromance Managent Chart

Cheap and effective - I cannot see how a 20K trainer will change or improve my training and performance any better than what i currently use

I imported a Tacx Vortex Smart about two years ago from CRC and if I recall correctly I saved roughly R2500 vs buying locally.

I see CRC are having a sale on the Tacx Vortex again:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/tacx-vortex-smart-trainer/rp-prod125671?mx=a

With a 10% duty and 15% VAT, you're probably looking at just under R5000 landed and you'll have smart trainer that you can use on Zwift, Trainerroad, etc.

Training is fairly simple when training on ERG mode using a smart trainer...you just pedal and try to keep to your targets.

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection:

So many indoor trainer threads and left me uncertain 

I want to maintain fitness during winter n times where can't get onto the trails.

I know I won't enjoy this indoor trainer business very much however I need my fitness levels up.

I have a 29er mtb that will be mounted permanently on the trainer.

What's the most efficient smart trainer setup? Think zwift etc will make it more bearable but also not wanting to spend lotsa cash.

What is easiest, cheapest way to get zwifting?

10 minutes ago, MajG said:

Thread resurrection:

I want to maintain fitness during winter n times where can't get onto the trails.

I know I won't enjoy this indoor trainer business very much however I need my fitness levels up.

What's the most efficient smart trainer setup? Think zwift etc will make it more bearable but also not wanting to spend lotsa cash.

IMHO and from my experience, it depends on what you want from the platform.

I started with a dumb trainer, speed and cadence sensor and cheap 2nd hand wheel on trainer (r1000 for the sensors and +-r700 for the 2nd hand wheel on).

It was OK to get started but it doesnt take advantage of the platforms, no resistance, you can take part in events/races but result might not count for results/Zwift Power, etc. and for me it became boring. In your case you would also need to swap the MTB tyre to a slick. call that r2000 if you shop nicely.

Having said that, if you cant find a good deal on a 2nd hand trainer then this option is not cost effective.

no point in buying a dumb trainer for 2-3k and then you must still buy the sensors, that result in an below average experience that will not grant you access to the proper world of zwift training and racing.

But if you dont care for racing or erg training that will be your cheapest way to get zwifting.

1 step up would be a wheel on start trainer (wahoo kickr snap or the like, +-r6000).

I found myself a 2nd hand snap 2 but I also found the resistance to be "weird" (too clamping). You will be able to get racing (you will need a HRM too) and the experience is far more enjoyable with resistance.

From there a direct mount is the best option, and if I had to do it all over again, i would go straight to a direct mount.

there are some good deals here and if you patient you can find one for +-r10 000.

The resistance and flywheel of direct drives feel more "real" and the sensors became irrelevant in my case as the kickr core transmit power and cadence. also, no tyre wear or black *** all over my floor.

ERG training is great too.

Summary:

if you just want to turn your legs while you see a guy on your screen pedaling, just find a really cheap 2nd hand wheel on trainer, cheap slick and get some sensors. done.

If you think you will get bitten by the indoor bug and want to really train and take part in racing and maybe join a team to do WTRL and other series then bite the bullet and go for a direct drive.

The experience (to me) from a wheel on to a direct drive is worlds apart and worth the price tag

1 hour ago, MajG said:

Thread resurrection:

Get the best direct drive trainer you can afford. The Tacx Flux S is an entry level smart, direct-drive trainer and costs about 10K. It's easy to get started, simple to operate, even for a technophobe like me, and makes Zwift riding and training programmes very simple. Only additional expense will be a cassette for the trainer and a Zwift subscription, as I'm assuming you already have a laptop or iPad. I tried dumb trainers and just found it too inconvenient and gave up quickly. Been using a smart trainer for more than a year now and have not once regretted getting it.

nothing wrong with a good smart wheel on trainer - the Saris comes to mind as well as the Kickr Snap.

The outlay difference between and a direct and wheel on is something you need to decide upon in terms of palatability.

I see a few on the classifieds at present - Cores, Flux and a Snap (for R4500) - which I think is a great deal.

The accuracy of the snap is also quite good at 2% 

Disclaimer - I have a snap and I am very happy with it.

You just need a dedicated trainer wheel and cassette

Make the investment in a Direct Drive Trainer. 

Its something that can last many years if looked after and is a massive help to your fitness as there are no "free Kms"

Have a look at something like the Saris H3, well priced and with class leading specs.

Rouvy AR is a great platform if you want real world routes (Like TdF stages with HD visuals)

Zwift is awesome if you want to race your friends 

21 minutes ago, Matu said:

IMHO and from my experience, it depends on what you want from the platform.

I started with a dumb trainer, speed and cadence sensor and cheap 2nd hand wheel on trainer (r1000 for the sensors and +-r700 for the 2nd hand wheel on).

It was OK to get started but it doesnt take advantage of the platforms, no resistance, you can take part in events/races but result might not count for results/Zwift Power, etc. and for me it became boring. In your case you would also need to swap the MTB tyre to a slick. call that r2000 if you shop nicely.

Having said that, if you cant find a good deal on a 2nd hand trainer then this option is not cost effective.

no point in buying a dumb trainer for 2-3k and then you must still buy the sensors, that result in an below average experience that will not grant you access to the proper world of zwift training and racing.

But if you dont care for racing or erg training that will be your cheapest way to get zwifting.

1 step up would be a wheel on start trainer (wahoo kickr snap or the like, +-r6000).

I found myself a 2nd hand snap 2 but I also found the resistance to be "weird" (too clamping). You will be able to get racing (you will need a HRM too) and the experience is far more enjoyable with resistance.

From there a direct mount is the best option, and if I had to do it all over again, i would go straight to a direct mount.

there are some good deals here and if you patient you can find one for +-r10 000.

The resistance and flywheel of direct drives feel more "real" and the sensors became irrelevant in my case as the kickr core transmit power and cadence. also, no tyre wear or black *** all over my floor.

ERG training is great too.

Summary:

if you just want to turn your legs while you see a guy on your screen pedaling, just find a really cheap 2nd hand wheel on trainer, cheap slick and get some sensors. done.

If you think you will get bitten by the indoor bug and want to really train and take part in racing and maybe join a team to do WTRL and other series then bite the bullet and go for a direct drive.

The experience (to me) from a wheel on to a direct drive is worlds apart and worth the price tag

some good insights @Matu and knowing the guy I am i wil eventually want to be competing on zwift - but my battle is with R10k i can do other things on my MTB lol.

@El Duderino i do enjoy convenience and no hassle or fuss setup so that defnitly catches my eye.

but also afraid once that i might just get gatvol/lose interest with the indoor trainer etc after 3 months.

Need to do some good bargain hunting or soul searching to understand what best for me - coz R10k is alot of cash for something im not entirely sure of and then R4k dumb trainer is also huge waste.

wonder whats the % of ppl who convert from dumb trainers to smart and what % goes from smart trainers to onl real outdoor MTB riding

2 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

nothing wrong with a good smart wheel on trainer - the Saris comes to mind as well as the Kickr Snap.

The outlay difference between and a direct and wheel on is something you need to decide upon in terms of palatability.

I see a few on the classifieds at present - Cores, Flux and a Snap (for R4500) - which I think is a great deal.

The accuracy of the snap is also quite good at 2% 

Disclaimer - I have a snap and I am very happy with it.

You just need a dedicated trainer wheel and cassette

i have a dedicated bike, trainer wheel shouldnt be an issue and will be working out in the garage so noise isnt an issue.

Will do some classifieds hunting but winter also wrong time to buy - as isnt this " peak " IDT season

Couple of direct mount options for R7000 - R9000 in the classifieds currently which look very reasonable.

Direct mount isn't essential but it is nice. 😊

Otherwise a wheels on Tacx Flux or Kickr Snap for R4000-R6000.

I was in a similar boat to you. 

I managed to pick up a TacX Flow for R2500.
They do come up every now and then at that price.

My mates and I are currently using the Wahoo RGT app which is free but you can also enter events and ride some alternative routes to the 2 free routes.
Zwift is definitely a more social app but depends on whether you are willing to pay.

I think the Tacx flow is the cheapest smart trainer around if budget is the issue and the RGT app is pretty great, you can do workouts and ftp tests etc.

ada30c4a-e92b-4318-bbeb-fb111c529f53.jpg