Indoor trainers

LeonvT

3 minutes ago, MajG said:

some good insights @Matu and knowing the guy I am i wil eventually want to be competing on zwift - but my battle is with R10k i can do other things on my MTB lol.

@El Duderino i do enjoy convenience and no hassle or fuss setup so that defnitly catches my eye.

but also afraid once that i might just get gatvol/lose interest with the indoor trainer etc after 3 months.

Need to do some good bargain hunting or soul searching to understand what best for me - coz R10k is alot of cash for something im not entirely sure of and then R4k dumb trainer is also huge waste.

wonder whats the % of ppl who convert from dumb trainers to smart and what % goes from smart trainers to onl real outdoor MTB riding

That's why find a good 2nd hand deal is important, if you get bored of the experience you can always sell it and absorb a minimal lose.

I usually race every tuesday and thursday night, and do outdoors in the weekend.

With the current weather, I am fully indoor (3 or 4 rides a week) and enjoying it.

Very convenient.

I also lie to myself and do 1 sided maths, but im "saving" gym fees amounting to +-r3000 a year and i am investing in my health and a sport i like, so for me its a win.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I had a Tacx Flow for many years and it's solid performer.

As mentioned there are a few good buys at present, especially that Snap - that looks almost new for R4500...

I am using Fulgaz at present and the routes are also great

1 hour ago, MajG said:

Thread resurrection:

So many indoor trainer threads and left me uncertain 

I want to maintain fitness during winter n times where can't get onto the trails.

I know I won't enjoy this indoor trainer business very much however I need my fitness levels up.

I have a 29er mtb that will be mounted permanently on the trainer.

What's the most efficient smart trainer setup? Think zwift etc will make it more bearable but also not wanting to spend lotsa cash.

What is easiest, cheapest way to get zwifting?

Direct drive smart trainer, I wouldnt look at anything else

I bought a gen 1 Kickr second hand about 4 years ago. I actually am scared to check how many thousands of KM's have been done on it. My wife and I get away with the same size frame so there is an old hardtail bike on it and we adjust the seat height between us. Dirt cheap heavy 10 speed drivetrain on it and really the running costs drop considerably. 

If you are sharing with family/spouse you can add family members to a single rouvy membership as well, makes it also a bit more affordable.

If you on a budget, go the dumb trainer route with a BT/ANT+ speed and cad sensor, nothing wrong with that setup - I used it for years on an old TACX Flow trainer until i went down the rabbit hole of smart trainers.

If you find a used magnetic/electronic trainer like the TACX FLOW then make sure it all works before you pay - If the cable or head units are faulty they cannot be repaired and there be no spares for them

31 minutes ago, BrettS said:

I was in a similar boat to you. 

I managed to pick up a TacX Flow for R2500.
They do come up every now and then at that price.

My mates and I are currently using the Wahoo RGT app which is free but you can also enter events and ride some alternative routes to the 2 free routes.
Zwift is definitely a more social app but depends on whether you are willing to pay.

I think the Tacx flow is the cheapest smart trainer around if budget is the issue and the RGT app is pretty great, you can do workouts and ftp tests etc.

ada30c4a-e92b-4318-bbeb-fb111c529f53.jpg

seems like very good entry point into smart trainers.

What other add ons required for this setup?

sensors

wheel

tablet/pc/android device

RGT app download

36 minutes ago, BrettS said:

I was in a similar boat to you. 

I managed to pick up a TacX Flow for R2500.
They do come up every now and then at that price.

My mates and I are currently using the Wahoo RGT app which is free but you can also enter events and ride some alternative routes to the 2 free routes.
Zwift is definitely a more social app but depends on whether you are willing to pay.

I think the Tacx flow is the cheapest smart trainer around if budget is the issue and the RGT app is pretty great, you can do workouts and ftp tests etc.

ada30c4a-e92b-4318-bbeb-fb111c529f53.jpg

If you decide to pay for a subscription, the Wahoo one is compelling as it offers SYSTM (includes the old Sufferfest) and RGT together. Paid yearly gets a discount too. The training plans on SYSTM are good, but if racing is you thing, Zwift is the answer - then you get to customise your avatar with nice outfits too.

regardless of platform, make sure the hardware and connections are stable - nothing worse than psyching myself up for a workout only to find some gremlins have gotten in. It makes things painful

30 minutes ago, MajG said:

seems like very good entry point into smart trainers.

What other add ons required for this setup?

sensors

wheel

tablet/pc/android device

RGT app download

You can add additional sensors. Power meters, cadence sensors but I don't think it's necessary.

I had some issues with my laptops bluetooth so I opted for the ant+ which then also allowed me to connect an old ant+ HRM. 

The trainer itself picks up cadence and power (how accurate it is I am not sure) it seems pretty accurate to me. Just calibrate it every now and then, it's not a long process. 

Just pop on a trainer tyre.

You can use a tablet, your phone or laptop. The apps are downloadable on all devices.

The Tacx flow adds resistance based on elevation of the route I think it's up to a max of 6 or 7% gradients but you do feel it haha 

Edited by BrettS

If you're a 'cyclist', there is no 'cheap' way to do this as you will add sensors, add a matt, a stand, a rocker plate, a dedicated outfit, fans etc

If you just ride bikes and want to stay fit or get fitter, a gen1 kickr or a snap, do intervals a couple of times a week with the basics and job done.

It all depends if you're a cyclist or if you just ride bikes.

25 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

If you're a 'cyclist', there is no 'cheap' way to do this as you will add sensors, add a matt, a stand, a rocker plate, a dedicated outfit, fans etc

If you just ride bikes and want to stay fit or get fitter, a gen1 kickr or a snap, do intervals a couple of times a week with the basics and job done.

It all depends if you're a cyclist or if you just ride bikes.

I just ride bikes, so need to keep fit

So looking at kikr snap or tacx 👍🏼

Appreciate the hubbers inputs here as this is an unknown territory for me

My Tacx Flow setup

Sensors = Dual Ant+ / BT speed / cad sensor all in one cost about 500 ronds

Ipad with built in BT mounted on handle bar with Tacx Tablet mount cost about 600 ronds for the mount.

I used the Traineroad app as at the time it was the only app that had virtual power function.

I only used the Tacx Flow head unit to set the level which was at 0 based on TR recommendation for that trainer.

Always had issues with BT connection especially the BT heart rate strap

I then migrated to the TR beta app and used my laptop with Ant+ dongle - works a lot better and very stable connection.

Now days you have a host of choices as to which apps to use and they all mostly do virtual power. It depends on how serious you want to get into IDT training.

I now use both Trainerroad and Zwift on a Kickr Core off laptop via Ant+ cast to 55" tv mounted in front of my IDT

Use TR to control the trainer but ride in Zwift at the same time to make IDT work a bit more fun

1 hour ago, MajG said:

R10k is alot of cash for something im not entirely sure of and then R4k dumb trainer is also huge waste.

If you buy used you'll be able to flog it for about the same as you bought it for, the original owner has taken the knock for you.

3 hours ago, MajG said:

Thread resurrection:

So many indoor trainer threads and left me uncertain 

I want to maintain fitness during winter n times where can't get onto the trails.

I know I won't enjoy this indoor trainer business very much however I need my fitness levels up.

I have a 29er mtb that will be mounted permanently on the trainer.

What's the most efficient smart trainer setup? Think zwift etc will make it more bearable but also not wanting to spend lotsa cash.

What is easiest, cheapest way to get zwifting?

The cheapest and easiest way is any trainer you can afford, and will use.

However, if you want bang for your buck, get a structured plan from a coach and follow it. If you’re going to do it, do it right.

I tried the dumb trainer thing (CycleOps Fluid 2) with a HR monitor and some self-inflicted / controlled intervals. When I was up and doing it it was fine, but actually getting out into the garage from the bed had a 20% success rate.

Then tried dumb trainer + sensors on Zwift, but found that it was very inaccurate, to the point where it made the guided workouts meaningless.

Got to borrow a friend's KickR 5 for two weeks and it genuinely transformed the virtual experience. I then started loving Zwift, especially the racing aspect. It got me out of bed, it got me pumped, and I ended up working pretty hard. The other attempts I made paled in comparison to having a good direct drive trainer. I wouldn't go with anything "lower" than a controllable smart trainer right off the bat.

Slightly off topic,

I had to return the KickR though, faced with the decision of forking out R10k+ and an expensive monthly subscription to keep doing that. I realized that actually riding bikes is the reason I ride bikes. To me, as good as it was, I don't really give that much of a **** about how fit I am as long as I'm fit enough that it doesn't hold me back from adventuring or enjoying my riding. I bought a second bike (for fun) and a second set of full winter kit for 1/4 of that and haven't looked back.

Edited by TyronLab