Indoor trainers

LeonvT

8 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

What's the issue with wheel on trainers?

I would also like to know, I have a wheel on smart trainer, and it works very nicely, I dont use it much because I have gotten very lazyvand dont want to wake up at 4am to do a session, but when I do use it, it works very well, and with the right trainer tyre on it is very quiet and makes no funny dust either

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I would also like to know, I have a wheel on smart trainer, and it works very nicely, I dont use it much because I have gotten very lazyvand dont want to wake up at 4am to do a session, but when I do use it, it works very well, and with the right trainer tyre on it is very quiet and makes no funny dust either

Nothing wrong with wheel on trainers, but I've often seen the bug bite and clients dump the wheel on to go direct drive.

Direct drive trainers are quieter, more accurate, more responsive, no slippage, more resistance, no need for constant calibration (if any), no tyre wear. 

10 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Accuracy

Tire slip under hard efforts

Special tire recommended

For many who dont have a dedicated bike/wheel for the trainer, makes it a mission to change tire before heading out on an outdoor ride

FWIW. I bought the cheapest wheel off trainer I could find just before the entire planet got lobotomized. Elite Zumo. And even tho I can't look at it right now without gagging I still think it's some of the best cycling money I've ever spent. I used it to train for Sani (the one that didn't happen) and I think i was the fittest I've ever been thanks to it. When lockdown happened I continued training as if Sani was going to happen even clocking some 100km rides in my study. Hence the gagging.

I can't comment on a wheel on smart trainer but I did have a wheel on dumb trainer with the blue tire and a wheel off trainer is a MUCH more enjoyable experience. The ride feel is so so so much better. The feel of a wheel on trainer is just horrible compared to a wheel off trainer.

I pretty much bounce between Zwift and Rouvy. I just time my cancellation so that I don't pay for both subscriptions

Edited by Duane_Bosch

3 hours ago, PregoRoll said:

Accuracy

Tire slip under hard efforts

Special tire recommended

For many who dont have a dedicated bike/wheel for the trainer, makes it a mission to change tire before heading out on an outdoor ride

The Snap is rated at 2% 

The slippages - doesn't happen that often - I have only experienced some slippage on steep inclines at high power, can be addressed with your set up though

I have used a normal tyre in the past with no issue - and a dedicated wheel sorts this - I see OP says he has a dedicated bike already

One issue would be the need for calibration though that can be a bit tedious but I guess this can be factored into your work out.

I have found the ride feel on the snap to be alot better than my Tacx flow 

All comes down to cost and what you are prepared to do to make the set up work I guess.

16 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Many have shared their views, for me why i swapped my snap to a core:

• chows your tires
  • you get black tire stuff all over the floor as there is friction between the wheel and the roller
  • noisy
  • constant calibration

And now that i have gone direct drive, I don't think i could go back to a wheel on.

The wheel on's resistance feels forced and too clamping with no "real" flywheel inertia and momentum. Gradients feel more natural and progressive on the direct drive. ERG mode its worlds apart.

Its chalk and cheese.

its like in PC, you can use a 60hz screen for years and it does the job, you dont know better, but once you have/use a 144hz screen you cant go back to a 60hz and you see all the flaws you never realized that were there.

One club member has a Snap, and he can't do a ramp test without tyre slip at the final few steps. Anything up to Threshold level is good enough for a wheel on. I suspect it's his tyre choice.

I have a CycleOps SuperMagneto and have used 2 old Conti Gatorskin for about 250 hours' worth of indoor training. I was able to complete all types of workouts across the PDC; if the tyre pressure was correct.

Here's a summary across the peak powers during the last 3 years (February 2022 onwards is on Kickr Core), which shows the peaks for 5s, 1m, 5m, 20m and 60m, proving that a dumb trainer is not so dumb after all.1034213334_ScreenShot2022-06-22at20_35_35.png.d28eecccf52b04af5fb69391aa529d09.png