Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

R2000 at best, send me your details and I can arrange for the courier once payment is made...............

Too low, remember this is a "pair of forks" so x 2 🙂 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, RiverInTheRoad said:

That drop is very doable, just takes a lot of energy to get enough speed. You will not make it from the Armageddon side unless you do a big bunnyhop to clear the gap.

It would be a non-feature if it had a downhill run-up.

Disclaimer: I only hit it in #Enduro comps  

So Gents, I need some help deciding.. The topic is Tyres!

My main focus is Enduro, I have 2 x wheelsets, one runs lightweights for loger endurance rides, the other my typical Jonkershoek wheelset that I would race on. Bike is 160/150 29 and I don't need the tires to corner for me, If you know what I mean. I kind of know how to corner. 

I've been running MAXXIS DHF 2.5WT-Dual Compound EXO+ front and AGGRESSOR 2.5 EXO Maxx terra on the rear for the last 18 months. They are only starting to degrade on the corner knobs and could be fine for another while IF I ignored the itch in my ass.. I would actually just like to replace the front so get a new sharp tire for the EWC race on the 24th and move the DHF to the rear as It is also EXO+ 

I know the Assegai is the bees knees as far as grip goes, but I'm considering the MaxTerra so Its not too slow rolling. Considering I hardly ever ride in the wet. OR, should I look for a Max Grip DHF ? Has anyone compared the two? 

I'm running the Assegai 2.6 Max Terra 27.5 up front and an Aggressor like yours out back, both with foam inserts. Loving the Aggressor out back after a break on a WTB Trailboss. The Assegai isn't noticeably slow rolling up front but I can't compare it to a DHF which I guess probably is a bit faster. This combo was great in the faster stuff at Jonkershoek  last weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'm running the Assegai 2.6 Max Terra 27.5 up front and an Aggressor like yours out back, both with foam inserts. Loving the Aggressor out back after a break on a WTB Trailboss. The Assegai isn't noticeably slow rolling up front but I can't compare it to a DHF which I guess probably is a bit faster. This combo was great in the faster stuff at Jonkershoek  last weekend. 

Thanks for the feedback. I dont miss grip to much on the DHF, but there are sections where its hard to lean the bike over and sink the sideknobs of the DHF. But really. It probably wont make 15 seconds difference.. 

As you may have seen, I have also changed the bars on my bike and now ride with a far higher rise than before. I felt that this more than the tyres has had a massive effect on how the bike handles steep bermed corners, partly because I am now able to run the fork a bit softer without feeling as if the front is too low. The lack of hand pain and numbness was incredible. The inserts also make a marked difference - even with lower pressure than normal, the Exo Aggressor showed no signs of burping - just good grip and a cool little skid on the exit some times. 

I really enjoyed the dissector 2.4 exo+ maxx terra front and rear on my bike, for me it has enough grip, and relatively low rolling resistance, some guys say it doesnt last well, but I haven't had that experience with it.

Also, Vittoria Mazza front and rear, they have felt amazing up to now, but, I have got a fair amout of punctures with them, all of them I have been able to plug up until Saturday where I got one that isnt even big, but it just wont seal, not even with a 4x4 mushroom plug.

Anyways, I am now going to be trying the Hutchinson Griffus tyres that my bike originally came with again.

I Was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Maxx Terra Assigai 2.5, but I want to check out the Kenda Pinner Pro this weekend. My riding buddy has one up front. It looks like the typical Assigai rip off with better rolling resistance. It will probably have slightly less grip, who knows, I'm sure there's a tradeoff. I'm thinking it may be the height of the actual knobs thats slightly lower, in which case I cant see it having the same performance, but Im guessing here, so let me rather shut up and confirm :)

@Headshot, I'm well jealous of your aggressor performance. I highly rate the tire, It grips fine on everything but very steep stuff when its snotty, but mine definitely deforms& burps when I push it into turns. Its that insert of yours that's making the difference. I wish they were available off the shelf locally.

I'm going to get some Rimpacts. Let me know if you want in. 

I got the Nukeproof ARDs. They're quite reasonably priced at CRC . I started a ride two days ago to find that my front tyre had a very noticeable wobble in it since fitting the front insert. The sight of it was quite off-putting and I have yet to manage to remove the tyre which is damn difficult with the insert in there. Warm soapy water and some patience will be required. 

5 hours ago, Bos said:

I Was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Maxx Terra Assigai 2.5, but I want to check out the Kenda Pinner Pro this weekend. My riding buddy has one up front. It looks like the typical Assigai rip off with better rolling resistance. It will probably have slightly less grip, who knows, I'm sure there's a tradeoff. I'm thinking it may be the height of the actual knobs thats slightly lower, in which case I cant see it having the same performance, but Im guessing here, so let me rather shut up and confirm :)

@Headshot, I'm well jealous of your aggressor performance. I highly rate the tire, It grips fine on everything but very steep stuff when its snotty, but mine definitely deforms& burps when I push it into turns. Its that insert of yours that's making the difference. I wish they were available off the shelf locally.

I'm going to get some Rimpacts. Let me know if you want in. 

Why not some CushCore? They are available locally....

38 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Why not some CushCore? They are available locally....

The Rimpact I'm looking at is less than half the weight and 1000 bucks for 2. (Exc shipping and vat) cushcore is R2750 a set and half a KG. 

Those are my reasons. 

18 minutes ago, Bos said:

The Rimpact I'm looking at is less than half the weight and 1000 bucks for 2. (Exc shipping and vat) cushcore is R2750 a set and half a KG. 

Those are my reasons. 

Not that it makes the price any less, but for weight you could go for the CushCore XC insert. 300gr for the set.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

I really enjoyed the dissector 2.4 exo+ maxx terra front and rear on my bike, for me it has enough grip, and relatively low rolling resistance, some guys say it doesnt last well, but I haven't had that experience with it.

Also, Vittoria Mazza front and rear, they have felt amazing up to now, but, I have got a fair amout of punctures with them, all of them I have been able to plug up until Saturday where I got one that isnt even big, but it just wont seal, not even with a 4x4 mushroom plug.

Anyways, I am now going to be trying the Hutchinson Griffus tyres that my bike originally came with again.

The bike i recently acquired has dhf 2.5 exo+ maxterra on the front and dissector  2.4 exo+ on the rear. Same compound. They are brand new so ill be riding it like this for now.

Regardless, how do you guys rate this combo for mostly hoogekraal,Conties (my valley) 

oh and ill be going into jonkers broduro later this month - blind too🤣. What pressures do you recommend for 85-90kg all in? Im still meek and mild.

8 hours ago, Bos said:

Bos, Assegaai is die kat se snor. Grip in die draaie is iets anders. Vandat ek 'n Assegaai voor op het, kry ek myself gereeld in die moeilikheid, en die Assegaai vra nie vrae nie, dit verander net rigting. En as jy die fiets oor gooi in 'n draai, is daar nie 'n dooie vae kol in die middel nie.

Jy sal nie spyt wees nie.