What does a 2 year warranty mean?

pmswanepoel

I think people are confused by the term cateye... I have hit those soft plastic pussy cat like cat eyes, not a problem, can do it all day. If you hitting one of those metal ones with 90 degree angles then that would cause this damage. 

If you strike one of those metal cateyes and you get a pinch flat on the side wall, do you send the tyre back? nope.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replacement BMC 29er carbon frame arrives tomorrow. Mine cracked after 5.5 years. The warrantee is 3 years.

Just saying....

Feel free to bend over and accept.

I certainty would not accept a cracked rim from a cateye.

:eek:  did you hit a cat eye with it .......

I weigh 75kg and so well under the weight limit. I contacted the manufacturer and they said this has never happened before. That is what makes me think that perhaps I got a dud. On the face of it, I would expect a wheel to be able to withstand a catseye (sometimes they are unavoidable -as in my situation during a race, I always avoid, purely from a comfort POV,) but I am no expert. Knowing what I know about after sales service and help in SA, I do not expect anything back -they have my money, why would they? Right? ;-)

I won't badmouth or name the brand. But I will not recommend them and wont buy from them again (that includes the other stuff they bring in).

When wheels and South Africans are combined I always ask the question - are you within the weight limit?

South Africans are big and tend to be towards the upper weight limit of european/eastern made wheels.

why is there no upraor ? Eldron has just insulted all South Africans and no one is complaining !

I deeemand a set of wheeeeeeellz

Bought a set of wheels. Won't say which brand. The second time I used them I hit a cat's eye going down past Valverde and the front rim cracked. Well within the warranty period of 2 years. Manufacturer umming and ahing about it. What do you guys and gals think?

if you're going to get a 2 year warranty, get it from the right people

why is there no upraor ? Eldron has just insulted all South Africans and no one is complaining !

I deeemand a set of wheeeeeeellz

Pfffff there is a difference between big and fat you snowflake :-)

Edit: Damnit I hate curiosity. According to the London School of Hygeine & Tropical Medicine we're only the 105th fattest country in the world.

I'm guessing if we inserted "white south africans" into the search it would go up several kilograms!

Edit edit: At 84kg I'm between the fattest and second fattest countries in the world (Tonga and Micronesia).

Have some fun: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/9345086/The-worlds-fattest-countries-how-do-you-compare.html

:eek: , now you calling us big and fat and snowflakes .... 

I now deeeemand a pair of wheeeelz  :whistling: . I am still learning to unicycle ..... being big and fat and snowflake like ....  :clap:  :clap:

I would be included to argue quite alot. I would argue what I would expect the wheels to do in 24 months.

A crack on a brick would be my fault but a cateye, DAM that's part of what I would expect a wheelset to handle.

I would categorise the odd cateye as part of normal use.

IMO Quality is subject to what a reasonable consumer would consider the quality of a product to be durable, safe, free from defects and/or fit for purpose.

I agree with this - hitting the odd cat-eye, part of normal use. Hitting a pothole / kerb / brick / rock, different story.

Remember a defect is not only applicable to manufacturing, also design. If the rim hasn't been designed to withstand normal use, then it is defective.

I suppose the debate is whether or not hitting a cateye is considered "normal use".

When wheels and South Africans are combined I always ask the question - are you within the weight limit?

South Africans are big and tend to be towards the upper weight limit of european/eastern made wheels.

At 95kg, I am that guy  :whistling:

Do car warranties work against potholes, or accidents? Cause surely those are almost a certainty while driving..

No

You still have the responsibility to avoid hazards, and something as unsettling and abrupt as cats eyes are on you... Road bikes take finesse, you can't bulldoze like an mtb... Ever wondered why good roadies are so good at pointing out road hazards?

My one employer and a colleague have their car's rims warrantied against potholes, so how's this example accurate?

Obviously responsibilities apply, but are you seriously going to condemn every person that ever hits a pothole, especially after dark? That's one sure way to alienate the world

crash barriers are part of road construction also try dragging your car down one and go see what toyota has to say

unfortunately OP  warranties cover normal usage not collisions with things you shouldnt drive over

crash replacement warranty is a different story ( and usually carries a percentage cost )

if we are going to go by stupid irrelevant analogies, then we'd be allowed to drive cars upside down because roads are in contact with air so air is road. Come on man.

My question wasn't for sarcastic remarks and trolling. I asked a sincere question then said I'd expect a set of wheels to be at least able to withstand the impact of a road cateye, which is a certainty to happen. Who in their right mind would buy a wheelset that is doomed to break on first minor impact?

A lot has changed since 2018.

Guy hits a pothole and saddle explode - manufacturer at fault.

Guy hits a cateye and rim explode - driver's fault. Next time rather hit a pothole. [emoji3]

My 2c. A bicycle wheel should be able to withstand a small thing like a cat eye. They are small and flat(ish). I say warranty claim.

They will obviously have a different opinion and may not honor the warranty.

There was a similar thread on this when a guy's frame cracked. He hit a cateye, tried to hold balance and his leg hit the top tube causing it to crack.

Maybe you'll find some useful info there

must be crap quality wheels if its cracks over a cateye. You should name and shame, then maybe something will get done. Thats how you gotta roll in SA these days, otherwise people will just take you for a ride.

I weigh 75kg and so well under the weight limit. I contacted the manufacturer and they said this has never happened before. That is what makes me think that perhaps I got a dud. On the face of it, I would expect a wheel to be able to withstand a catseye (sometimes they are unavoidable -as in my situation during a race, I always avoid, purely from a comfort POV,) but I am no expert. Knowing what I know about after sales service and help in SA, I do not expect anything back -they have my money, why would they? Right? ;-)

I won't badmouth or name the brand. But I will not recommend them and wont buy from them again (that includes the other stuff they bring in).

Hmmm, sounds like its every ones favourite local bike accessories sellers. Maybe i am wrong 

However yes, typical service from south african businesses. Also dont forget this comes through from the supplier, making it even more difficult on the retailer. Some suppliers tho definitely give a no questions ask refund or exchange

must be crap quality wheels if its cracks over a cateye. You should name and shame, then maybe something will get done. Thats how you gotta roll in SA these days, otherwise people will just take you for a ride.

Well there's no indication of weight, riding style, tyre inflation the type of cateye and such like. 

So how does one determine the warranty over this much less the quality of the wheels? 

Seems like a deeply rooted sense of entitlement is also the way to roll these days. 

In a situation like this with all the variables it's only right and fair that it's at the manufacturers discretion, maybe the warranty covers upto certain impacts. 

If a wheel can not handle a cat eye every now and then within reason especially with a 75kg rider I would certainly NOT buy that wheel. It is guaranteed that you are going to hit a cat eye somewhere along/on your sojourns. Quite normal.

There are no 90* cat eyes and an armco barrier is not a cateye.

Archived