Gravel bike build from 2013 Momsen AL529 HT

Wettas

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha nice , going to go 2x10 (Sram x7 FD, GXP Crank [39/29] with Shimano XT RD, Cassette[11,36]) 

Decided not to go drop bars, mech brakes and shifters makes the build pricey. Sticking to a flat bar, negative rise stem and ravx stubby bar ends. That will push weight forward and give you two holding positions. 

I ordered this fork, its on a good special now BXT fork

PS. I am trying to keep cost down as much as possible

Thanks for that link, that fork looks great. I'll be looking through there for a straight steerer option. That site is insane, it's just never ending lists of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

BUILD UPDATE:

1. I bought Magura MT6 brakes from the hub, should be perfect after a bleed. 

2. Painted the frame, inspired by a Nike shoe Box. 

3. Still waiting for fork and headset. 

Should finish the build at the end of Feb, so keep an eye on the thread. 

post-105241-0-16951400-1548839681_thumb.jpg

post-105241-0-77191100-1548839697_thumb.jpg

post-105241-0-00554100-1548839715_thumb.jpg

post-105241-0-16209300-1548839733_thumb.jpg

Nice build you have going on!

always loved bikes in that colour range ... proof of two of my previous bikes below :P

BUILD UPDATE:

post-5403-0-71685400-1548840564_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-77645900-1548840634_thumb.jpg

BUILD UPDATE:

Nice paint job.... if i may ask who did it? and Estimated costs?

Lekker build project you've got going  :thumbup:

This is my project that I recently finished. It's my old 26" mtb that I converted to a hybrid road bike.

I Replaced the suspension fork with a rigid carbon fork and fitted a set of 700c wheels with 28c tires.

It rides very lekker but I'm busy researching a couple of options to improve the gear ratio for the top end.

38-11 is not ideal for the road.   

post-62204-0-53645100-1548917932_thumb.jpeg

I have a tapered Niner Carbon TA gravel fork off a RLT Steel which I will swap for a straight steerer fork or sell if anyone is interested.

Nice paint job.... if i may ask who did it? and Estimated costs?

Painted myself, setup cost was a bit higher than expected. Paint, sanding paper, clear coat, primer, decals was around R600. Tip I learned, don't use paint strippers, just sand the frame to get rid of decals and get rid of clear coat, the primer already on the frame is very expensive, durable and you don't want to get rid of it. 

I have a tapered Niner Carbon TA gravel fork off a RLT Steel which I will swap for a straight steerer fork or sell if anyone is interested.

How much do you want for the fork? I am doing another project, going army green and black and not keen on waiting for Aliexpress. 

SBC PROJECT: 

Got a Silverback Sola 2 29er frame, thinking about going an olive green and black decals.  

Thinking about either doing a longer travel 120mm 27.5 (2.4) tyre build or another gravel bike. 

Any ideas/ suggestions, please feel free to share. 

post-105241-0-13081500-1549004611_thumb.jpg

post-105241-0-24176400-1549004628_thumb.jpg

Question.... Are rigid hard tail mtb's now referred to/known as "gravel bikes"?? 

Yeah I know its not technically correct , I think it is called a "monster cross" bike. 

Yeah I know its not technically correct , I think it is called a "monster cross" bike. 

With a flat bar setup it would still just be a rigid hard tail mtb. If you put some drop bars on it then technically yes, it would be called a monster cross. 

Question.... Are rigid hard tail mtb's now referred to/known as "gravel bikes"?? 

interesting observation....  no and no. 

Monster cross is a mountain bike with drop bars and road shifters. with or without suspension (the original gravel grinder). 

Gravel bikes are something between road and MTB. Usually full rigid, although a few companies do make with suspension.  

Build for more speed than MTB on gravel roads.