Accident at Amashova (report from MichH)

NotSoBigBen

Well, slowpoke, amateur and MichH (with her longsuffering hubbie) drove down for the Amashova. Slowpoke started with licenced ladies, amateur at 7:30 and MichH started at 7:51. At the second to last water point, MichH stopped and saw a message on her phone. Slowpoke had been in an accident. Luckily MichH had her hubbie at the ready so was able to send him off to the hospital whilst she finished as fast as possible. Long story short, she'll be OK, but it was a pretty bad one.

Slowpoke was in the middle of a fast bunch of ladies going down the freeway just after Kloof when the group scattered for a pothole in the middle of the road. Someone swerved into slowpoke and she went down hard. Basically it looks like she went right over the handlebars. She was badly concussed, has a bad cut above her left eye and her eye is swollen shut. She's broken her left clavicle and she has some bad bruising on her left hip and knee.

The worst was the concussion. Slowpoke suffered a pretty serious concussion and can't remember too much from the last few days. She's in St Augustines for 48 hours for observation and will be flown back to Jhb on Tuesday.

Anyone wanting to send her well wishes please PM bigben and I will pass them on!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very sad to hear, I fell heavily 2 weeks ago at high speed, know what it feels like. Hope she gets better soon!

I started at 7h30 . At the top of fox hill where we turned left onto another road (the one with bad surface) , there was a bad accident about 5-10km from the turnoff . I only saw a lot of blood and a guys helmet and somebody being loaded into ambulance . Does anybody know what happened there ?

Get well soon slowpoke !

Got the news yesterday from EWEP . Sad news indeed , but she is a strong girl and will be back on the bike in no time !

Hope you get well soon, this is never nice for all involved, rest up and get lots of chocolate (always helps).

Sorry to hear that, I thought I saw SP coming in, it was obviously someone else. All the best and a speedy recovery!

there was a crash in the A bunch as well. Some dumbass dude did not keep his line and crossed another rider and took a few riders down.

Not sure if it was serious as I was near the front of the bunch when it happened.

Sorry to hear about the crash SP.  Hopefully a speedy recovery and back on the bike soon.

Epoh - nice ride you had.  Came in with your bunch (some 18min behind on actual time).  You looked pretty comfortable - couldn't see you at the finish though, had to catch my lift.

Very sorry about the bad luck - We know you were looking forward to a good race and how much you cycling means to you. All the best for your recovery.

Just got back from "Shova. Sorry to hear about SP's accident. Wish her a speedy and full recovery.

My buddy also went down in the C bunch. Luckily not hurt badly, onle scrapes, bruises, bent Bicycle and bruised ego!!