GT Mountain Bikes - are they to be laughed at?

I bought a secondhand entry level GT Zaskar as a 'stop gap' bike while I was waiting for parts to arrive from overseas for my dual sus… Eventually got the dual sus repaired and then it was stolen shortly after! Grrr :cursing:  And finances have meant I have been 'stuck' with the GT for the last 2 years... But I really enjoy it... Miss the rear shock on the rough stuff and some of the components (particularly the shocks and brakes) could be better, but that's the components, not the GT...   

And daughter thought the two tone blue and white colour scheme was very cool! :lol:

Hopefully an upgrade will be on the cards later this year, and I'd gladly go with another GT (although it will probably be a Scalpel) and I'll definitely hang on to the Zaskar as a backup!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Zaskar & love it. What turned it into the ride I'll keep for a long time is the SRAM 1x12 upgrade and the dropper post. 

I bought a secondhand entry level GT Zaskar as a 'stop gap' bike while I was waiting for parts to arrive from overseas for my dual sus… Eventually got the dual sus repaired and then it was stolen shortly after! Grrr :cursing:  And finances have meant I have been 'stuck' with the GT for the last 2 years... But I really enjoy it... Miss the rear shock on the rough stuff and some of the components (particularly the shocks and brakes) could be better, but that's the components, not the GT...   

And daughter thought the two tone blue and white colour scheme was very cool! :lol:

Hopefully an upgrade will be on the cards later this year, and I'd gladly go with another GT (although it will probably be a Scalpel) and I'll definitely hang on to the Zaskar as a backup!

Well considering that Cannondale own GT I suppose you can say you are riding a distant cousin of the Scalpel :)

Well considering that Cannondale own GT I suppose you can say you are riding a distant cousin of the Scalpel :)

Lol, funny story - I bought the Zaskar on a Friday, and the same day was very kindly loaned a Scalpel to play with for the weekend...  Entry level Zaskar vs top-end Scalpel :drool: .  It seriously wasn't fair on the Zaskar!  So yeah... very, very distant cousins!!   :lol: I lusted after that Scalpel for weeks afterwards but had to console myself that I only paid about 5% of the Scalpels price tag for the Zaskar! :D   

Lol, funny story - I bought the Zaskar on a Friday, and the same day was very kindly loaned a Scalpel to play with for the weekend...  Entry level Zaskar vs top-end Scalpel :drool: .  It seriously wasn't fair on the Zaskar!  So yeah... very, very distant cousins!!   :lol: I lusted after that Scalpel for weeks afterwards but had to console myself that I only paid about 5% of the Scalpels price tag for the Zaskar! :D   

Two of my riding partners have Scalpels - one a 2018 and the other a 2019 with the new Lefty. I sweat big time trying to keep up with them on my old Flash !!

You are not going to go wrong getting one :) :thumbup:  :thumbup:

GT are owned by Cannondale and between the two of them have an incredible heritage going way back !!

GT and Cannondale are both owned by Dorel Industries. Cannondale does not own GT.

Cannondale Sports Unlimited is made up of Cycling Sports Group, Pacific Cycle Group and the Apparel Footwear Group, which includes Sugoi. The three divisions house a range of brands including Cannondale, Schwinn, Caloi, GT, Mongoose, Sugoi, Charge Bikes, Iron Horse, InSTEP, KidTrax and Guru.  I Agree that Dorel is the owner of Cannondale Sports Unlimited.

Edited by nickc

I will again refer you to the exploits of Chris Akrigg on a Mongoose!

He said he was kidding... Edited by Eugene

He said he was kidding...

I know dude, but can you watch too many Chris Akrigg videos?

My answer would be a hard no.....

Impartiality clearly doesn't become you. Instead of adding credibility to GT, you gone and undermined your own opinion by hating on another brand and for what?

If you want to endorse GT, endorse GT, don't insult other brands in the process, cause you're acting like an elitist and giving GT a bad rep. Swak dude

you know what goes really fast on a Zaskar?

no I'm not talking Martin Maes,

attachicon.gifzaskar.png

Well, to be fair to the Zaskar, anyone who starts out by asking R9k for an old 26er is not likely to be inundated with responses! :lol: