Who's to blame?

Dadbod Racing

Isn’t two abreast allowed in many first world country’s? If so, doesn’t the rule of the road then dictate that you can overtake only when safe to do so by moving over the line to the other lane to overtake the cyclists safely? Dunno, just trying to understand the rules for that particular country if two abreast is allowed and then what the overtaking rules state.

video is from Singapore where cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast. This motorist must have been in a heap of trouble.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/walk-cycle-ride/rules-and-code-of-conduct.html

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would also be interesting to know what the law is regarding the cycle lane. Whether its required to be used like here.

Would also be interesting to know what the law is regarding the cycle lane. Whether its required to be used like here.

if the bicycle is capable of exceeding 25km/hr its considered a motor vehicle and cannot be used on a public cyce path. In Singapore performance cycling is not allowed on cycle paths,

So the rider is breaking the first three rules mentioned in the link.

1) Not riding in an orderly fashion

2) Not keeping left and not yielding to faster traffic

2) Not using a cycle lane where one is provided.

That aside this situation could have been totally avoided if both of them just didn't act like d1cks.

1) the cyclist looked to be riding in an orderly fashion. Nothing eratic. Both hands on the bars (except to punch the mirror)

2) agree he wasn't keeping as left as possible but two abreast is allowed and since they're moving from a stationary start not impeding the bakkie because both are getting up to speed.

3) as I mentioned earlier, yes the law states that a cycle lane has to be used, there is also a speed limit on those cycle lanes of 25km/hr. Singapore police does not fine cyclists riding in the road when a cycle lane is provided if those cyclists are riding faster than 25. I know I've cycled in Singapore many many times. Cycle lanes are shared with runners, mopeds and electric wheelchairs etc. Cyclists exceeding 25 km/hr face a SN$1000 fine for exceeding this and the police enforce this vigorously. I got away with a warning and was told to use the road.

By Singapore standards that driver was being a complete douche bag. They just don't do that sort of thing over there.

The short the vehicle will always be better of than the cyclist. Have a attitude on the roads and risk injury or just move out of the way. Use common sense ride in yellow and cycling lanes where possible you are slower than the vehicles.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

I’m pretty sure the plastic bottle wouldn’t cause any loss of life or limb, but using a vehicle as a deadly weapon against any cyclist is not good.

The short the vehicle will always be better of than the cyclist. Have a attitude on the roads and risk injury or just move out of the way. Use common sense ride in yellow and cycling lanes where possible you are slower than the vehicles.

"Road rage" is VERY real.

It is just not worth it to be part of a situation that could potentially give rise to road rage, not in a car and especially not when you are on two wheels.

Please view this video and discuss....

https://youtu.be/E930Y0mTFQg

Does the cyclist deserve his PK that he got?

Should the driver of the little bakkie type thing give the cyclist another kilometer or two to move out of the way before swerving into him?

Should the bakkie driver have ignored the fact that cyclist guy elbowed his mirror (and how easily did that mirror break) and carried on driving?

Did the cyclists 7 years of bad luck start immediately after breaking that mirror?

The prick on the bike

Broadly speaking and applying rules of self-defense: "A defendant is entitled to use reasonable force to protect himself, others for whom he is responsible and his property...it must be reasonable"

The force applied by the driver in protecting his property is unreasonable in comparison to the force applied by the cyclist initially when breaking the mirror. 

Cyclist was acting like a moron though...

Same as the situation a few weeks ago when the guy turned his car around to ram the cyclists. If you're going to give the finger, swear or break mirrors you should also be ready for the repercussions

The title of the video is interesting.

If this is in Singapore, where is the cyclist from if he is classed as foreign ?

Maybe I am being silly, but he looks 'local' to me...

Should a new thread be started?

Grabbed from my sjcam dash cam.

Casually chatting along, not being bothered by the traffic jam they were causing this morning :thumbdown:

I was in the second car behind them which was driving at about 40km/h and braking. I am assuming the driver was slightly drunk. When the lanes became 2 and I passed, I had to deal with a bunch of tailgaters, trying to come past me. Definately a stressful moment and not cool.