Hairy

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8th for Alan in short track , so excited for him 

bright future 

yeah he managed his race very well. No heroics off the front this time around. He just played the waiting game and didn't get caught up in the testosterone fest at the front. It worked well for him and the result is there.

Great racing all round. Wow Chloe Woodruff. Great win and on that brand new Pivot Mach4SL too. Great way to debut a brand new bike (although she has been riding it for a few weeks already).

Avancini looks like he's only interested in Nino. He better start focusing on Mathieu...or he'll always only be 2nd

Anyone doing the XCO Fantasy league also struggling to find Candice and Alan? Don’t think they’re added yet ????

Alan is in there

Candice not, but she was on fire last night, can't miss that yellow bike in the front group

racing was Awesome

Also hoping Van der Poel can take top step on Sunday.

post-58842-0-19704800-1558759057_thumb.png

Afternoon John.

With specific reference to XCO racing, what would the power meter data reveal between what the big dogs like (Nino, vd Poel, and Avancini) are able to push through the cranks vs that of Alan ? And how do riders at that level, with a fair amount less in the "power department" counter that challenge - do they simply have to work on a faster cadence ? (taking skill out the equation as we know that time can always be made on the tech stuff if you have superior skills).  

Apologies for the noob question - hardly a topic (fitness, power, etc) that I have much knowledge of......

Ai Ai Captain

Alans power is right there with the top guys, they are all within range save 2-3%. That 203% at this level is important.

The other 2 variables having to be taken into account this year compared to last is that he has another lap to deal with in a race which is added time at that certain intensity and duration. Additionally add in then that where last year there were 7 top level U23 riders he was competing against where now at Elite level there are another 12-14 Alans he is competing against.

The other side is how many top ranked Elite veterans want a young World Champ coming up to spoil their party? That alone will dictate how races unfold for him.

We spoke last night after the Short Track in terms of strategy for tomorrow, his was little different to mine and that's cause Alan is hungry AF which is awesome but we came to a agreement which if all goes well will be great.

Its all about learning in a new class and he is doing just fine. 

Ai Ai Captain

Alans power is right there with the top guys, they are all within range save 2-3%. That 203% at this level is important.

The other 2 variables having to be taken into account this year compared to last is that he has another lap to deal with in a race which is added time at that certain intensity and duration. Additionally add in then that where last year there were 7 top level U23 riders he was competing against where now at Elite level there are another 12-14 Alans he is competing against.

The other side is how many top ranked Elite veterans want a young World Champ coming up to spoil their party? That alone will dictate how races unfold for him.

We spoke last night after the Short Track in terms of strategy for tomorrow, his was little different to mine and that's cause Alan is hungry AF which is awesome but we came to a agreement which if all goes well will be great.

Its all about learning in a new class and he is doing just fine. 

Thanks for the detailed reply John, much appreciated.

For us mere mortals tend to get caught up in the hype and emotion without understanding the realities and challenges, so info like this helps put things in perspective. We are SO proud of him and it is great to hear his numbers are right up there - well done to him and your guidance / input, Winning Team !

Can't wait for tomorrow, bring it !! 

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/video/AP-1ZBEMSQND2111

Jenny is such a fantastic chick. Dropping the pure racing nature and goals to win for a purpose. It might not get everyone's approval, but hope it works out for her.

Glad to see she is back and that she found a reason to get back. If she is back on form it should make an already very stacked ladies field even more so, and the races even more exciting to watch!

Well after the XCC it feels like even more of a lottery. I think Nino will be pushing hard but the competition has upped their game. Is it that or is Nino just getting slower?

That interview with Jenny was very insightful. Not sure if anyone picked up on the part where she says she didn't feel like living any longer. That's a pretty low place to be and to pick yourself up and get back on it to race at the highest level of the sport takes real strength of character. Win or lose, 1st or last Jenny, you will always have my support.

biggest fan

Well after the XCC it feels like even more of a lottery. I think Nino will be pushing hard but the competition has upped their game. Is it that or is Nino just getting slower?

Good question.

it's hard to stay on top forever but he's still in his prime.

mentally I think he might just be taking his foot off the gas to allow himself space to focus on Tokyo 2020.

Physically he may not be able to peak as many times in a year as he has in the past. Could just be a more Conservative start to the season.

and then there's the grandson of Poullidor....

Edited by DieselnDust

Annika out of Nové Město.

@AnnikaLangvad will not race today. 1f623.png She is “feeling far from 100% fit” and so will sit out today and concentrate on resetting and getting ready for the next rounds.

Edited by kosmonooit