UCI XCO World Cup 2019 Season

Hairy

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Mathieu! Great move and finish. Stunning acceleration.

Well done Alan  :clap: 28th not to be sneezed at. Maybe a little too fast in first lap??

Anyway.....bodes well for the next races. Invaluable experiences gained. I expect big things from him next year (barring injuries or health issues).

Look forward to next races!!

Congrats Mathieu! Great move and finish. Stunning acceleration.

Well done Alan :clap: 28th not to be sneezed at. Maybe a little too fast in first lap??

Anyway.....bodes well for the next races. Invaluable experiences gained. I expect big things from him next year (barring injuries or health issues).

Look forward to next races!!

I agree, it could be too much pressure (from himself or team or RSA) to perform which caused him to push too hard in the beginning. Like Kate said, the best advice is to just trust the process and not try to win all from the start.

I thought Rob and Bart were on the money at the start when they talked about Nino having fast starts to hurt the rest of the field. Many fell by the wayside, Allan Hatherly included. And for 3rd place to come in almost 2 minutes back...Schurter is still owning it together with MvdP.

I agree, it could be too much pressure (from himself or team or RSA) to perform which caused him to push too hard in the beginning. Like Kate said, the best advice is to just trust the process and not try to win all from the start.

Would like to hear JW take on this.

He did say when he spoke to Alan the other day he was super determined to go for it. Maybe a bit to excited starting from Friday XCC already?

Much said here about AH - I think 28th against the world's best, and first year elite, is flippen well going.

Look at some of the names that finished after him, WAY down on him......nee wat, give the boytjie a gap, think we are the ones with the expectations, which perhaps is rather unrealistic for now. 

Steller performance by the young man, who needs to just get through his first year's baptism, and according to me, he is doing so with aplomb.

Much said here about AH - I think 28th against the world's best, and first year elite, is flippen well going.

Look at some of the names that finished after him, WAY down on him......nee wat, give the boytjie a gap, think we are the ones with the expectations, which perhaps is rather unrealistic for now. 

Steller performance by the young man, who needs to just get through his first year's baptism, and according to me, he is doing so with aplomb.

"like" seems like such an understated accolade for this post

Would like to hear JW take on this.

He did say when he spoke to Alan the other day he was super determined to go for it. Maybe a bit to excited starting from Friday XCC already?

Perhaps a bit too much. Just an outsider’s perspective or interpretation. Would be nice to hear from the coach’s perspective ????????

Dude...nobody was criticising Alan. It's called hypothesis. If you saw race he was right up front in beginning around 10th....then dropped to 28th. With the strength of the field possibly not surprising, but then Alan is no slouch either. We also didn't see or hear of a mechanical. We understand this is part of the learning process and the "school fees".

I'm proud of him....and Candice and Mariske. As I'm sure others are too.

Like I said, next year will be the year where there will be more expectations

Agreed. Big step up from U23 to elites. Give the man a season or two and we are going to see big things! And it helps that he is a very likeable and modest guy - easy to get behind and cheer for!

Agreed. Big step up from U23 to elites. Give the man a season or two and we are going to see big things! And it helps that he is a very likeable and modest guy - easy to get behind and cheer for!

And Spaz need a new team?

And Spaz need a new team?

Well Kulhavy has been out of the XCO mix for a while, Langvad looks to be going the same way (I don't think she has what it takes in terms of tech skill on the new courses), and Sam Gaze is Sam Gaze...

In terms of marathon riding they have the dream team, but for XCO they need some new talent. Alan is awesome, but no real ladies talent at the moment - lost out big time with KC...

Wll Nino hasn't been dropped like that for a while ... but was magnanimous in his defeat, it was inevitable.

If you have been watching Mat in action during the last few CX seasons, almost every time he would drop the entire field around about lap 1, This guy is something else. I think I mentioned it here about 5 years ago (lol)