Gotta love Cape Town drivers

sluiper

Would be a fun thread if it focuses on very obscure near misses on the road.

What exactly are you wanting from this post?

If we shared every tale of bad driving and/or cycling we see, bikehub would crash (no pun intended)...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a fun one last week and Thursday.

Driver is next to and starts swerving in my direction, I expected something to happen as I picked up motion in the area of his hands in my peripheral vision.

So I swerve with him and have to grind up against the pavement, he then starts to slowly swerve into the opposite lane. My first instinct was that he was on his phone.

Caught up to the car and then gesticulated to him "what are you doing, and said wake up", that is when I saw this guy was had both hands off the steering wheel and shoving a Steers burger into his face! So I gesticulated to stop eating.

THIS ALL HAPPENED DIRECTLY OUTSIDE OF A SCHOOL AND OVER A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AREA.

I pull into our village a little down the road ... I look over my shoulder and Mr Shoving a Steer Burger in his Face comes through the boom as a resident. So I turn around to have a chat with him. As I approach I wave him down and he waves back, completely oblivious. Then he realises I was trying to get his attention and he stops. Tell him in a nice and clear way what his car was doing while he was shoving a burger in his face. Anyway, he appologises and I notice next to him are a couple of bags of Steers that he is taking home to his family to eat.

What a Chop.

make up your mind ...  was he eating chops or burgers ....

I was in Cape town and Stellenbosch over the weekend and they are by far the worst drivers i have encountered anywhere .Standard behavior on any of the 80 km/h limited roads around Stellenbosch is to pass either left or right  over the solid and sometimes double solid yellow or white line at warp speed ,at or near a blind height or turn .Slow traffic moving into the fast lane on the highway also seems to be norm 

I

I pull into our village a little down the road ... I look over my shoulder and Mr Shoving a Steer Burger in his Face comes through the boom as a resident. So I turn around to have a chat with him. As I approach I wave him down and he waves back, completely oblivious. Then he realises I was trying to get his attention and he stops. Tell him in a nice and clear way what his car was doing while he was shoving a burger in his face. Anyway, he appologises and I notice next to him are a couple of bags of Steers that he is taking home to his family to eat.

What a Chop.

Look its basically impossible to get the fam takeaways and on the drive home not to sample the goods .

Did a 90km Peninsula  road ride on the weekend. Found the driving pretty good. No aggro despite some slightky strange riding by one of our party and lots of patience and safe driving. My pet peeve is drivers who pass you and then at the next traffic light stop so close to the gutter/pavement you cant coast past them. It is a small minority luckily. 

Look its basically impossible to get the fam takeaways and on the drive home not to sample the goods .

Especially the chips. 

Driver is next to and starts swerving in my direction, I expected something to happen as I picked up motion in the area of his hands in my peripheral vision.

So I swerve with him and have to grind up against the pavement, he then starts to slowly swerve into the opposite lane. My first instinct was that he was on his phone.

Caught up to the car and then gesticulated to him "what are you doing, and said wake up", that is when I saw this guy was had both hands off the steering wheel and shoving a Steers burger into his face! So I gesticulated to stop eating.

THIS ALL HAPPENED DIRECTLY OUTSIDE OF A SCHOOL AND OVER A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AREA.

What a Chop.

This is disturbing on many levels. 

My main question is why is this gentleman not waiting to have supper with his family? I understand a chip or two but a whole burger, or was there another burger for him to have with the family?? 

Either way it's disturbing......

This is disturbing on many levels. 

My main question is why is this gentleman not waiting to have supper with his family? I understand a chip or two but a whole burger, or was there another burger for him to have with the family?? 

Either way it's disturbing......

Have you never had those days where you're so hungry that you get another spare burger for yourself to have before you get home? 

What exactly are you wanting from this post?

If we shared every tale of bad driving and/or cycling we see, bikehub would crash (no pun intended)...

Just a smile, I guess ;) I was laughing at the time at how ridiculous the dog looked. I have closer calls on a daily basis but never considered it might actually just have been dogs trying to learn how to drive.

I actually think the vast majority of drivers are quite polite and give cyclists enough room (YMMV). It's a small minority that gives everyone else a bad name.

Have you never had those days where you're so hungry that you get another spare burger for yourself to have before you get home? 

Chips or something small, but not a burger.... 

I'm not sure if I'm the problem or the problem lies elsewhere..... :lol:

Would be a fun thread if it focuses on very obscure near misses on the road.

So Saturday I'm sailing down Chappies into Hout Bay. Taking it very easy because I'm aware that tour buses are a complete nemesis around the blind corners. Anyway I'm negotiating the last bend and straightening up watching the side road intersection on the left because the Force tells me there's a car there. A second later a Range Rover pops up at the stop street. At the same time a white polo driven by a poppie with moerse sunnies appraoches from the oncoming side and this chick just decides nee vok I'm not waiting for a cyclist so she guns it. 

By now the Pirelli P-zero is fully locked up and i'm fish tailing trying to decide if the Its the Range Rover or the Polo thats going to take me to hospital. Fortunately I had enough capacity to avoid and stop. Poppie just looks at me and floors it so I give chase. She's making a run for it into a blind parking lot. 

She stops and I approach the drovers window. "What the **** were you thinking?"

Boys.....the interior STANK of Cannibis...

So I ask you 'Are you high?!"  No I Just didn;t see you (Blatant lie).

"Must i call your parents?!"

"no please!" tears start welling up in her eyes.

So i give her talking too. You know the usual stuff, driving carries responsibility blah blah blah blah is probably what she heard.

I felt better but there's a very slim chance she'll change her ways.

Although how the heck the parents can't smell dagga in that car.....??!!!!

What a Chop.

Ah! The ol' "stuff my face in the car before the family divides up the loot equally". I do that too. But I do it in the driveway.

So Saturday I'm sailing down Chappies into Hout Bay. Taking it very easy because I'm aware that tour buses are a complete nemesis around the blind corners. Anyway I'm negotiating the last bend and straightening up watching the side road intersection on the left because the Force tells me there's a car there. A second later a Range Rover pops up at the stop street. At the same time a white polo driven by a poppie with moerse sunnies appraoches from the oncoming side and this chick just decides nee vok I'm not waiting for a cyclist so she guns it. 

By now the Pirelli P-zero is fully locked up and i'm fish tailing trying to decide if the Its the Range Rover or the Polo thats going to take me to hospital. Fortunately I had enough capacity to avoid and stop. Poppie just looks at me and floors it so I give chase. She's making a run for it into a blind parking lot. 

She stops and I approach the drovers window. "What the **** were you thinking?"

Boys.....the interior STANK of Cannibis...

So I ask you 'Are you high?!"  No I Just didn;t see you (Blatant lie).

"Must i call your parents?!"

"no please!" tears start welling up in her eyes.

So i give her talking too. You know the usual stuff, driving carries responsibility blah blah blah blah is probably what she heard.

I felt better but there's a very slim chance she'll change her ways.

Although how the heck the parents can't smell dagga in that car.....??!!!!

Hope had a decent sniff  :whistling:

Archived