Still new to biking...yes this is a rant

Wheelie87

Somerset West...

- Hanger Bike Co: awesome bunch of guys, always quick to help. My go to LBS when buying stuff.

- William's Bike Shop: Went there on PhilipV's reccommendation when I was unable to diagnose a very creaky bike - Daryn sorted it out quickly. Very happy.

- Dirt Customs: New outfit opened by Al Harris - he focuses on bike services. I have not had much done there, but what has been done so far has been done with immaculate attention to detail. Will be my go to for all services from here-on out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset West...

- Hanger Bike Co: awesome bunch of guys, always quick to help. My go to LBS when buying stuff.

- William's Bike Shop: Went there on PhilipV's reccommendation when I was unable to diagnose a very creaky bike - Daryn sorted it out quickly. Very happy.

- Dirt Customs: New outfit opened by Al Harris - he focuses on bike services. I have not had much done there, but what has been done so far has been done with immaculate attention to detail. Will be my go to for all services from here-on out.

Big thumbs up for DIRT CUSTOMS MTB, Al Harris always goes the extra mile. I have finally found that one mechanic that I can trust and I won't get ripped off. I've referred many fellow riders to him and all have raved about the service.

Simply put no nonsense service without the over inflated price tag.

I get half my fun ON my bikes and the other half cleaning or doing my own work.

I have taken it as an opportunity to learn as well as save money as a MTB is always coming up with a new noise or challenge.

Wheel balancing still eludes me but one day.

Just use o'l man Google and Youtube and get twice the fun at less than half the price!

:w00t:

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with bike shops....personally unless it's very very urgent I don't bother with bike shops..buy online and do you own work...cheaper..easier and far more fun...

What he said!

lol, dude i need my mavics back!! laughed so hard for this.

i cant bring myself to tell the wife these stories....i'll give my own game away.....my creativity is limited and im no match for her interrogation skills!

think OP was right should have been charged demo price. drop them man.

:D  :D  :D  :D

Dude this is the same way I buy tools "I need" cause I work around the house all the time you know..... :ph34r:

When she eventually sees the tools and asks when I bought it it's always "A long time ago" don't you remember???

I'll agree the missus has heavy interrogation skills and I'll defo crack but I'll play this game for as long as I can! lmao 

I watched a video or two on "the youtube" so will not put my own bikes through this....

I'll start with my daughters bikes :-) Gear setting 1 0 1 for me this weekend. Or maybe I should wait until after the Junior Cycle tour...

I watched a video or two on "the youtube" so will not put my own bikes through this....

I'll start with my daughters bikes :-) Gear setting 1 0 1 for me this weekend. Or maybe I should wait until after the Junior Cycle tour...

Just please, before you do any tweaking do the follwoing things in this exact order:

1) Check that the derailleur is still properly tightened to the frame. This particular bolt loves to extract itself (especially on SRAM derailleurs).

2) Check that the derailleur hanger isn't bent. This is very often the cause of the issue.

3) If the derailleur is climbing off the back of the big gear, or getting caught between the chainstay and the small gear, and number 1 and 2 above were fine, then you need to adjust your derailleur stops.

4) Fiddle with the barrel adjuster to see if this solves your shifting issue. Usually this helps if you have crappy shifting on pretty much all your gears.

5) if you seem to have good shifting on some gears, but crappy shifting onothers (eg. the top 3 gears are fine, then its starts being crap in the middle). then you may need to adjust the tension screw on the derailleur. This is the one that presses against the hanger.

6) If you have inconsistent shifting, especially if if it is mostly crappy in the direction of smaller gears (e.g. from a 20 tooth to a 16 tooth), then you could have too much friction in your cable housing. This could be a kink in the line, old housing, etc. May need to replace the housing.

If none of this helps, throw away your entire drivetrain and buy SRAM 1x drivetrain. Sorry, I cant help out too much on 2x or 3x drivetrains.

There are probably about 10 thousand other possible issues that could be listed here, but in my experience the sequence above solves most shifting problems.

All bike shops will annoy you off at some point. The better shops are less annoying and if you have them aware of the problem, they will do more to fix it.

My view is that the tires that come with new MTB's are tossed aside in a huge pile somewhere and you fit proper tires. I don't think they should sell these to you without some kind of big discount. I know someone who fits these types of tires as tubeless without too many problems, but personally I don't fit non tubeless as tubeless. Eventually something will break when it shouldn't.

The OP's experience is simply why I avoid the bigger glitzier bike shops unless I need a specific product in a hurry like lube or sealant. Suspension work beyond lower leg servicing goes to Stoke. Recent experience at a concept store:

Me- this hub is less than a year old but is scratchy as anything

Shop: The bearing is worn, some people need new bearings every 3 months (like its the riders fault)

Me: I have hubs that are 5 years old and have never needed R350 services and new bearings.

Shop: Dumfounded expression Oh. 

I pay up - one bearing is changed. Within a ride or two the "serviced" hub is sticky as anything. In between I check another different brand hub of similar age and use. Its perfect. 

Crappy products are the real issue here. The manufacturer sells a hub that is not up to the task and the shops simply take your money fixing something that is unfixable, at least by them. Bike industry rip-offs like this really irritate me.

To be honest this is just a rant about the service delivery in general I have been experiencing the last few years with almost everything. 

Perhaps blocking off the road and burning said tyre in front of the shop will help 

Crappy products are the real issue here. The manufacturer sells a hub that is not up to the task and the shops simply take your money fixing something that is unfixable, at least by them. Bike industry rip-offs like this really irritate me.

I don't mean to be facetious here and am not trying to stir, but what would you prefer happens in this situation?  Some hubs are just crap and eat bearings.  So your choice is to either replace the bearings every few months or buy a new hub and spokes and get it re-laced to your rim - not the cheapest exercise, and not one which more bike shops would recommend.  

Knowing this plonkers pink spaztic bike ... I would have hoped the hub quality would be far better than what has been said here.

Or is it just one of those where the project manager slaps on all the sexy stuff that one looks at on the showroom floor and then cuts costs on those important details that people do not look at.

I don't mean to be facetious here and am not trying to stir, but what would you prefer happens in this situation?  Some hubs are just crap and eat bearings.  So your choice is to either replace the bearings every few months or buy a new hub and spokes and get it re-laced to your rim - not the cheapest exercise, and not one which more bike shops would recommend.  

Knowing this plonkers pink spaztic bike ... I would have hoped the hub quality would be far better than what has been said here.

Or is it just one of those where the project manager slaps on all the sexy stuff that one looks at on the showroom floor and then cuts costs on those important details that people do not look at.

You have just described the Fuel EX 5 ....

Nice alu frame

NICE geometry !

Okay dual suspension

Okay brakes

Okay gears 

So why so cheap ?

maybe why the chain measures no stretch but runs "over" the gears as if it is stretched - after 1 000 km !

maybe why the proprietry design bearing collapses in a 1 000 km ....  NO, TREK does not have a tool to remove the sunken outer race ....  But they DO have new hubs in stock as this happens often ....

replaced it with decent rims that have standard replaceble bearings, and went Eagle GX at the same time .... but wait, now the bike costs the same as other top end dual suspension bikes ...

Sadly no such thing as a "cheap" bike ... the only question is where they used "lesser parts" to make up the price difference ....

i dont understand how this could be viable for the part/component/tyre manufacturer

They would need an entire manufacture line dedicated to the inferior product (i.e. more overheads), then risk their name being associated with poor quality (fewer sales)

I'd love to see this article you guys are referring to.

The main difference is normally that they are non tubeless or super light weight. other than that they are normal tires. Issue is in Europe they don't need the protection that we need .

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with bike shops....personally unless it's very very urgent I don't bother with bike shops..buy online and do you own work...cheaper..easier and far more fun...

^^^ This, I only use a bicycle shop in self defense. Do 90% of the work on my bike myself, unless I am pressed for time or it needs special tools I don't have yet. Do your research and buy your parts online.

But seeing that you are in Stellenbosch, give Flaandria a go. I still much rather drive through to them from Gordonsbay, than deal with most if any of the bike shops in Somerset West

Somerset West...

Al at Dirt Customs is the man. Can highly recommend his work