Noise canceling headphones

Patchelicious

Likewise, my XM3s are my daily office wear headset. For 2-4 hours a day they are great, for 8 hour virtual workshops you can get a bit tired of them, but I reckon that would be true of all options. 

The Sony's dominate my office here, I reckon up to 75% market share.

Now that I have been able to do some flights for work they are also my music headphones for the plane. Although the newer noise-cancelling tech is better, the music quality in my 8 year old Sony MDR1's is far superior (more depth & immersion, richer bass). The downside is that the old tech is heavier and bulkier, and not bluetooth enabled, so its a less versatile system to take on a work trip.

Flights were my other consideration when choosing the over ears. If I went for wireless in-ears it would make it hard/impossible to use them to watch movies on the in-flight entertainment systems.

A prerequisite for my choice was that they hard to be hard-wireable (which both the Sony and Bose are).

I will miss my Bose QC20's. They served me well for about 3yrs. Too many bundled tangles in my pocket got the better of them though. RIP

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good deal that, as they are $270 online from Bose. When they had stock, the refurbished ones were $199.

I concur. The QC 35 IIs are amazing

Can't live without mine. 

Even go to gym with them occasionally when I pomp my mossels.

post-12015-0-72744800-1609002968_thumb.jpg

Cue the haters....

I just took the plunge and got the Apple Airpods Max.   Had the Bose for travel, on recommendation, jumped to the Sonys, and honestly... dont see myself going back to either anytime soon.

If you're in the Apple world, highly recommended.  Just find someone coming out from the US passing through a duty free, and save $65.  ANC + Transparency is literally impossible to describe.  It really is that good.

Cue the haters....

I just took the plunge and got the Apple Airpods Max. Had the Bose for travel, on recommendation, jumped to the Sonys, and honestly... dont see myself going back to either anytime soon.

If you're in the Apple world, highly recommended. Just find someone coming out from the US passing through a duty free, and save $65. ANC + Transparency is literally impossible to describe. It really is that good.

They are incredible.

Cue the haters....

I just took the plunge and got the Apple Airpods Max.   Had the Bose for travel, on recommendation, jumped to the Sonys, and honestly... dont see myself going back to either anytime soon.

If you're in the Apple world, highly recommended.  Just find someone coming out from the US passing through a duty free, and save $65.  ANC + Transparency is literally impossible to describe.  It really is that good.

Hating on Apple has become so main stream that its actually no longer cool and edgy.

Which Bose did/do you have, and how are these better, in your opinion of course?

Cue the haters....

I'm in the Apple ecosystem with my other devices

Not too heavy?

Bit ambivalent about the aesthetics as well.

Cue the haters....

I just took the plunge and got the Apple Airpods Max. Had the Bose for travel, on recommendation, jumped to the Sonys, and honestly... dont see myself going back to either anytime soon.

If you're in the Apple world, highly recommended. Just find someone coming out from the US passing through a duty free, and save $65. ANC + Transparency is literally impossible to describe. It really is that good.

Please make sure you have AppleCare active on them. Because if they anything like AirPods and AirPod Pro’s you will need it. My Pro’s have been replaced twice and now the third left showing same issue once again (cracking in NC or Transparency) and both my sons have had their AirPods replaced due to volume issues in one of the pods..

The Max look and feel better from what I’ve seen (Apple Store Dubai Mall) and are nice to touch and wear. Sound quality didn’t “blow me away” but they were good for sure.

I’m a big Apple fanboy. But for now I’m staying away from anything they brand “AirPod”. Give us an update in 6 months, keen to see how they holding up. And keen to see how you find them traveling as they don’t fold much.

Please make sure you have AppleCare active on them. Because if they anything like AirPods and AirPod Pro’s you will need it. My Pro’s have been replaced twice and now the third left showing same issue once again (cracking in NC or Transparency) and both my sons have had their AirPods replaced due to volume issues in one of the pods..

The Max look and feel better from what I’ve seen (Apple Store Dubai Mall) and are nice to touch and wear. Sound quality didn’t “blow me away” but they were good for sure.

I’m a big Apple fanboy. But for now I’m staying away from anything they brand “AirPod”. Give us an update in 6 months, keen to see how they holding up. And keen to see how you find them traveling as they don’t fold much.

That’s unusual. We’ve half a dozen sets of AirPods and pros around the house, mine still from the early days and, apart from me dropping one down the toilet on a train (long story) we’ve had little trouble. Having said that, AppleCare is a great benefit

Which Bose did/do you have, and how are these better, in your opinion of course?

QC35 updated.     The ANC (lol) and comfort to me personally are miles ahead.   I was worried about weight, but the fit and mesh band are totally comfortable, although my longest wear is maybe 3 hours so far.   

I'm in the Apple ecosystem with my other devices

Not too heavy?

Bit ambivalent about the aesthetics as well.

I'm deeeep into Apple ecosystem, and spent a lot of time building my playlists and podcasts, and between these (dont have other airpods, always had my other brand headphones) and the homepods in my house, the handover is great.  Listen in car, hand over continuing in house, and then onto headphones when girlfriend gets irritated.

Weight I've not noticed yet, and in space grey (wanted navy to match apple watch, LOL, but didn't have) they look better in person.  Only the storage case is a bit naff, but it is what it is.

For those worrying about longevity, I think it'll be good, it's REALLY solid, only thing I can see maybe being an issue if you're greasy is the mesh headband.

That’s unusual. We’ve half a dozen sets of AirPods and pros around the house, mine still from the early days and, apart from me dropping one down the toilet on a train (long story) we’ve had little trouble. Having said that, AppleCare is a great benefit

It’s a known issue on Pro’s assembled before August 2020. Considering my last replacements were in August I’ve probably still got bad “batch”. Will replace again once shops return to post Christmas craziness.

The boys both have the normal AirPods bought at different times. But maybe just unlucky. Have had no other issues across dozens of other Apple kit.

• 5 months later...

a few months later I'm reviving this thread. 

I currently use not so wireless bluetooth earbuds that often get stuck in my helmet, and with the neck warmer/buff it's a bit of a pain, that among many other things (like the fact that they yell at me "BATTERY LOW !" every ******* minute when it's running low) make me fancy something else... I see airpods for 2900, airpods pro for 4200, Sony XM3 for 5000 on takealot...

I wonder what people are using these days, these are all very expensive. I want something comfortable and that doesn't fall off my ears while cycling (apparently the Sony ones tend to fall off). Also a bit of noise cancelling is probably a good idea for most other times, but maybe if you can turn it off while cycling or running on the road it's probably better ?

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

a few months later I'm reviving this thread. 

I currently use not so wireless bluetooth earbuds that often get stuck in my helmet, and with the neck warmer/buff it's a bit of a pain, that among many other things (like the fact that they yell at me "BATTERY LOW !" every ******* minute when it's running low) make me fancy something else... I see airpods for 2900, airpods pro for 4200, Sony XM3 for 5000 on takealot...

I wonder what people are using these days, these are all very expensive. I want something comfortable and that doesn't fall off my ears while cycling (apparently the Sony ones tend to fall off). Also a bit of noise cancelling is probably a good idea for most other times, but maybe if you can turn it off while cycling or running on the road it's probably better ?

I dont like the idea of sweating on a pair of headphones that costs that much. Heck I cant understand why they cost that much to begin with.

Im currently looking through the various options but will most likely go for something less than R1k so that I dont have to be ridiculously careful with them all of the time.

@Jbr I used these for a year for my indoor cycling, as well as a few rides outdoor when doing intervals. Nothing fancy and probably all you need really when doing your exercising. Also, if something might happen to it is not a complete train-smash since you did not pay an arm and leg for it.

My friend has the Airpods Pro and they are quite neat but battery life is not that great and the ANC will only be helpful for indoor rides since you need your spatial awareness.

The XM3 is amazing but again those are for entertainment use and not recommended at all for fitness since have no water-resistant rating. With that being said, I love mine!

spacer.png