[Event] Amarider 50 & 100 Miler

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not sure I was riding the same race then[emoji848][emoji23].

I was on a hard tail... So it must be true [emoji6]

Corrugations were pretty tough in places... many sandy sections. Unpleasant nagging headwind on large sections of the second half. Roads in worse condition than last year's smooth ride which inspired me to ride the gravel bike. Would have been a lot more comfortable on mtb. Felt quite sketchy on some of the descents.

Gravel bikes really are the bastard offspring of road and mountain bikes and have inherited the worst characteristics of their parentage ... gotta love em.

That last 30km really is a big challenge.

Gravel bikes really are the bastard offspring of road and mountain bikes and have inherited the worst characteristics of their parentage ... gotta love em.

I'm curious - how well do gravel bikes handle dirt roads with bad corrugation? At what point would do you say "MTB would actually have been better"

Corrugations were pretty tough in places... many sandy sections. Unpleasant nagging headwind on large sections of the second half. Roads in worse condition than last year's smooth ride which inspired me to ride the gravel bike. Would have been a lot more comfortable on mtb. Felt quite sketchy on some of the descents.

That last 30km really is a big challenge.

Too bloody right!!!

I'm curious - how well do gravel bikes handle dirt roads with bad corrugation? At what point would do you say "MTB would actually have been better"

I pondered that at length on Saturday... I'd say that point was reached at about 2851m into the race... the rest of the time was spent cursing. Or collecting ejected bottles

We couldn't keep up with the two that won. No doubt those riders have the skills and strength to go with it but they out climbed us and then completely demolished us on the gravel downhills with their bigger gear ratios.

I did see some of the gravel bikes have a hard time in the sand and when it got really bumpy... would I have wanted one? I dunno... I was quite comfortable on my HT.

We couldn't keep up with the two that won. No doubt those riders have the skills and strength to go with it but they out climbed us and then completely demolished us on the gravel downhills with their bigger gear ratios.

I did see some of the gravel bikes have a hard time in the sand and when it got really bumpy... would I have wanted one? I dunno... I was quite comfortable on my HT.

Should ask our sponsor about getting some gravel bikes!!

You have no idea... there was one section that it was all I could to do hang on... Line choice was out of the question as the vibrations were so bad... That I still have water bottles is a small miracle... Then again, when I tried to get them out of the cage, the wet grit seemed to have wedged them in good and tight...

but also well done on your podium fella!! kudos!

Tx - love the idea of the gravel bike and can just imagine having those gear ratios.. But long distances on some of our terribly corrugated district roads? Sometimes feel like skipping the HT and go straight for the FS

Tx - love the idea of the gravel bike and can just imagine having those gear ratios.. But long distances on some of our terribly corrugated district roads? Sometimes feel like skipping the HT and go straight for the FS

Well Pinnerello marketing department have a bike for you then!! Just does not have disc brakes, and cannot fit 28mm tires. Otherwise, perfect.

Too bloody right!!!

I pondered that at length on Saturday... I'd say that point was reached at about 2851m into the race... the rest of the time was spent cursing. Or collecting ejected bottles

Haha

When I wanted a drink after, the only bad corrugation in my opinion... I realised I lost a bottle. Don't even remember how many times I checked my last bottle over and over again

Not as fast as you [emoji6] but agree about being comfortable. Was very easy looking for the smooth lines

What happened to the buffs like we got last year? I was looking forward to getting a 100miler one to go with my 50miler one. 

Overall a very nice ride, the headwind and rain in the 2nd half made things a bit more interesting, missed my sub-8 by 5mins. Will have to go do it again next year  :whistling: