Me and THE coach

So i have decided to go the coach route.... i just need some hub advice because this is totaly new for me.....i am battling to stay focussed with my training on Trainer Road and decided to spend some money on a coach. I have done an FTP on the 6th of January this year and 6 weeks later after my first training block on TR and there was 0 improvement(i actualy went backwards) also the reason for the coach. Ok so i downloaded all my info onto Garmin connect(for the coach to use)and the coach started sending me some training plans which i then re-creates in TR, all power and time etc related. The majority off the training is very easy with low power. Then i get 2 days where the power is so high that i cannot do the intervals properly and get so stuffed that i dont even finish the training sessions.....when i mentioned that the TSS scores on TR does not correspond with the TSS he calculates on his program it came to light that he used an FTP much higher than the value i have from TR.....so i adjusted my FTP in TR to the value he is using. The TSS is now much the same as whats prescribed by the coach. I have complaint about the high power output and low cadence, but the coach still sends me the program with no changes....how must i go about, must i manually adjust my FTP in TR downwards so that i can complete the intervals at lower and more manageable power. Just not finish the interval training(which is happening and the coach does not question the DNF intervals). At this moment i feel i am fighting a losing battle......and i am paying for it!! The other option is to HTFU and just shut up???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the FTPs/target intensities are not correct I honestly cannot see the use of following the program or using a coach.

You may as well just download a generic program off the net and adjust that.

How long have you been with the new coach? Are you sure its your progran that he sent you?

If the FTPs/target intensities are not correct I honestly cannot see the use of following the program or using a coach.

You may as well just download a generic program off the net and adjust that.

How long have you been with the new coach? Are you sure its your progran that he sent you?

I am using him for 4 weeks now...

Communication is key between athlete and coach.

The person who "introduced" me to the coach told me he is not a big communicator apart from sending out the programs... maybe he wants to build op some info, but what was the reason for me sending him nearly 4years of data? I dont want to sound like a cry baby but i am a bit confused here!!

I also started using a coach that was assigned to me via Sani2c training, to me the start was easy 3 weeks ago but now, some session being 1hr 20 and very tough, next week is basicaly a rest week, week after is quite insane, would do another FTP test end of March.

Send him your current data.

Communicate clearly as to your current limitations.

See how the program is changed .... give it a good go ....

failing which it may be time for a more involved coach.

When my friend trained for two years for the Ironman she had to switch between coaches towards the end of year one.  The coach did a good job of getting her into the tri-sport, but simply could not get her to improve.  Next coach was VERY involved, and the results were excellent

The person who "introduced" me to the coach told me he is not a big communicator apart from sending out the programs... maybe he wants to build op some info, but what was the reason for me sending him nearly 4years of data? I dont want to sound like a cry baby but i am a bit confused here!!

If things don’t improve between you and your coach I can recommend you mine. He is in tune with each athlete’s needs, areas of improvement and he sends feedback on progress every four weeks.

Send him your current data.

Communicate clearly as to your current limitations.

See how the program is changed .... give it a good go ....

failing which it may be time for a more involved coach.

When my friend trained for two years for the Ironman she had to switch between coaches towards the end of year one.  The coach did a good job of getting her into the tri-sport, but simply could not get her to improve.  Next coach was VERY involved, and the results were excellent

He gets my data as soon as i have finished the session. There is no comms if i finish a session or not....NADA!!!

Phone your coach and speak to him of your concerns and issues.

If he does not listen to these concerns, consider another coach especially if you only paying on a month by month basis.

You should always be able to have a conversation with your coach and if they are reluctant to interact with you.... then I would have serious concerns of the quality of coach

Like the others said - communication is the key.

Also - you get what you pay for - if you're giving the coach R500/month then you can't really expect daily feedback and interaction. R5,000/month and I'd expect phone calls after every session.

Like the others said - communication is the key.

Also - you get what you pay for - if you're giving the coach R500/month then you can't really expect daily feedback and interaction. R5,000/month and I'd expect phone calls after every session.

I hear you, i am defnitely not paying R 5000 and it is more than the R 500 bucks per month, for that i at least expect a weekly "update" or just some kind of communication apart from the training plan every week....

Not to derail the OPs discussion, but..

I see the CSA/UCI coaching course presented in 2018 cost R25500 for a 6 day course

Are they crazy?!

In my case my coach actually complained that I don't give him feedback on how my sessions went and as a result didn't know how I am coping.

But what I can say is the intervals is supposed to be fairly hard, especially in the beginning. But it shouldn't be undoable. Talk to your coach but if the situation doesn't improve, I think you need to find someone better.

I hear you, i am defnitely not paying R 5000 and it is more than the R 500 bucks per month, for that i at least expect a weekly "update" or just some kind of communication apart from the training plan every week....

How much you pay and what kind of feedback you signed up for varies dramatically but in general I would be immediately suspicious of a coach that was described to me as "he just sends out programmes and doesn't communicate....

Not to derail the OPs discussion, but..

I see the CSA/UCI coaching course presented in 2018 cost R25500 for a 6 day course

Are they crazy?!

R25k is for the course in Aigle and includes accommodation and food if memory serves - the SA based courses are much cheaper.

The 2019 Aigle based courses are closer to R36k now!