Does doping exist in SA?

To @madmarc’s point, does anyone know what she actually took (as in brand name), and what, if any performance benefits it really gave her.

Shame, I feel for her. She has obviously been through one helluva rough time.

Why are you guys more sympathic towards female athletes who are bust.. Huh [emoji848][emoji2955]

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the hearing report;

"19-norandrosterone and 19-noreticholanolone [nandrolone]."

Clinical/doping effects;

https://academic.oup.com/clinchem/article/50/2/355/5639637

"Because of its anabolic properties, nandrolone is used among athletes as a doping agent to accelerate muscle growth; to increase lean body mass, strength, and aggressiveness; and to allow faster recovery between athletic performances (4)(5)(6)."

Seems we were both browsing the same site. My medical knowledge is as good as the number of beers in the fridge; less than ideal.

Seems we were both browsing the same site. My medical knowledge is as good as the number of beers in the fridge; less than ideal.

Have a few bookmarks saved, used to sub edit doping press releases received before publishing them. Mainly because the pressers were woefully anemic in context/detail to be informative.

Nandrolene alongside with testosterone is a relatively common doping substance for sport though.

Translation - she was not messing around

Injections hey?

More than likely, as far as I know it's intramuscular every week or so.

Given her accident though I suppose treatment for injections weren't really uncommon. Which would point to the issue raised by SAIDS requiring a TUE. Especially given the no needles policy.

Why are you guys more sympathic towards female athletes who are bust.. Huh [emoji848][emoji2955]

Far from it. I do however often have empathy surrounding the circumstances of how these situations play out. Case by case for any athlete regardless.

For this one specifically yes I have sympathy as well. The issues regarding PTSD, depression and anxiety are very real and often are brushed aside. It's a topic that touches close to home.

Yes the system is flawed in some respects, and under resourced.

But to be fair the sentence is appropriately in line with the offence. And if anyone bothers to actually read up on the process instead of making a kneejerk forum post, they'll see that.

The entire hearing document is also linked through from the press release, which already summarises the details. This alone is a big improvement in the communication clarity from SAIDS/CSA.

In fact the SAIDS site lists all the hearing documentation and minutes for each sporting code sanction.

As far as this particular sanction goes, I really feel for Lynette Burger.

This is a rough one and the effects of a severe head trauma shouldn't be underestimated, the damage is long term even for the rest of a person's life. Your entire personality can undergo a complete change. The human brain isn't like a broken bone.

This doesn't condone the doping violation nor the extremely shaky defence. There must be accountability as a consequence and going by the hearing document much of this was taken into account.

Reading through the document..wow..

No I didn't do it, okay maybe it was during my treatment a year ago, someone gave it to me without my knowledge, yes I have willing and with consent taken prohibited substances before (but I am not going to tell you when) and then I needed it for mental health..

Yeah that's not good at all, .not exactly forthcoming and that's why the sanction wasn't reduced. The way she conducted herself during the hearing and the whole hearing and the admission of taking prohibited substances before.. Naaaah

Zero sympathy from me..

Edited by Gen

From the hearing report;

"19-norandrosterone and 19-noreticholanolone [nandrolone]."

Clinical/doping effects;

https://academic.oup.com/clinchem/article/50/2/355/5639637

"Because of its anabolic properties, nandrolone is used among athletes as a doping agent to accelerate muscle growth; to increase lean body mass, strength, and aggressiveness; and to allow faster recovery between athletic performances (4)(5)(6)."

Thanks! Can you please post a link to the hearing report?

you know that you get a tax rebate for employing a previous convicted felon?

I did not know that. Learnt something new today! Thank you.

Thanks! Can you please post a link to the hearing report?

Link to the document can be found in the article... I don't know how to share that here[emoji23]

It will also be on SAIDS website.

https://drugfreesport.org.za/cases/

Just click on the drop down on her case outcome and it will pop up for download

Edited by Gen

Link to the document can be found in the article... I don't know how to share that here[emoji23]

It will so be on SAIDS website.

Oh ok, I missed it, thanks!

Lol

Man it opened in pdf by me and wanted me to create a link to share to tapatalk.. Which didn't give me an option to post to a thread okay[emoji23][emoji23]

Lol, Strains of: I never took it, ok maybe they gave it to me in hospital a year before, ok i took it improve my mental health, and i took prohibited substances, with no TUE, but damned if i will say when [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lol, Strains of: I never took it, ok maybe they gave it to me in hospital a year before, ok i took it improve my mental health, and i took prohibited substances, with no TUE, but damned if i will say when [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji1787]

My sympathy for her ends when she says she has a full time job and kids.

She willingly takes PEDS and competes while it isn't her livelihood. There was no need besides her own drive to get back to competition, so PEDS are on her.

Blaming depression and PTSD for cheating is just a sympathy throw of the dice. Neither will make you cheat. There is even an argument that both are probably made worse by the pressures of competition and getting race ready.

Her accident was horrendous and I'm sure she struggles daily, but taking PEDS willingly is cheating. She deserves her sanction.