Does doping exist in SA?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always an excuse.

I recall David George owned up, didn't make any difference to anything so I guess you might as well go for that excuse when you get caught?

I recall David George owned up, didn't make any difference to anything 

He now owns a bike shop who stock mainly the brand another very well known doper used to ride aswell. Oh and don't forget, his bike shop is supported weekly by PPA as that is where they host their post ride coffees.

He now owns a bike shop who stock mainly the brand another very well known doper used to ride aswell. Oh and don't forget, his bike shop is supported weekly by PPA as that is where they host their post ride coffees.

Must he be punished forever? It’s a decent bike shop with good service and great coffee. Move on man, his infringements were more than a decade ago.

Davey rode with Lance at Postal Service didn't he? 1999/2000 ish

Makes sense. 

Must he be punished forever? It’s a decent bike shop with good service and great coffee. Move on man, his infringements were more than a decade ago.

Well, the guys here would gladly have Lance imprisoned, or flogged, or shot, so...

I recall David George owned up, didn't make any difference to anything so I guess you might as well go for that excuse when you get caught?

Yes he did, as illustrated above, and the fact that his coming clean (da dam tish) comes up each time, leads me to believe that honesty is revered.

But.... if doesn’t make any difference, rather go for the truth?

lets look on the positive side

they are catching dirty athletes - and the punishment is harsh enough to hopefully scare other would be dopers to stay clean

i say great job and keep up the good work

Not entirely correct, if it wasnt for the tip off she would still be racing. So yes they conducted the test when they were "told" to.

many have been bust, it will not scare off anyone who is doping...

the only positive in this matter was her test result...

lets look on the positive side

they are catching dirty athletes - and the punishment is harsh enough to hopefully scare other would be dopers to stay clean

i say great job and keep up the good work

Ah but is it? Or is it only reactive?

Because on balance it seems people only care about doping when there is a press release and/or headline sanctioning an athlete.

Ideally we would see a robust investigation and criminal prosecution of those supplying the product. As well as punisment for the users.

The reality unfortunately is that SAIDS are under resourced and funded for this. And the SIU have larger priorities, so something like sports doping falls low on the priority scale. Unless there is a more serious crime to hang it onto.

Take the concern on widespread doping abuse in school sports for years, especially rugby. Anabolics is a specific concern for SAIDS. It should warrant a proper criminal investigation.

https://www.news24.com/health24/Fitness/News/SA-schoolboys-taking-steroids-20120721

Also at some point we need to look at ourselves and the culture of how success is measured.

SAIDS expresses deep concern over a multiple steroid test result from a 15-year old school boy

https://drugfreesport.org.za/saids-expresses-deep-concern-over-a-multiple-steroid-test-result-from-a-15-year-old-schoolboy/

1 584 athletes tested during 2018/19 – SAIDS Annual Report published

http://drugfreesport.org.za/1-584-athletes-tested-during-2018-19-saids-annual-report-published/

What about those people's cycling careers he ended due to his doping? That is still on going as they did not get pro contracts, sponsorships, ability to make name for oneself and the benefits that come with that. 

I am just saying its not a one off and once caught ends. 

As mentioned by Danger Dassie, dopers should rat out their suppliers if they actually cared or wanted to be part of the cycling community. If one was actually sorry and want to return to the sport, then need to provide the supplier details and those assisted in the doping.

........ gel capsules......

I beg to differ!!!!  :mellow:

Exactly. When there is enough money to be made or lost the excuses get a lot more complicated and difficult to refute.

The same way it's more difficult to get Markus Jooste behind bars than a petty thief who stole a TV.

Edited by Showtime

Ah but is it? Or is it only reactive?

Because on balance it seems people only care about doping when there is a press release and/or headline sanctioning an athlete.

Ideally we would see a robust investigation and criminal prosecution of those supplying the product. As well as punisment for the users.

The reality unfortunately is that SAIDS are under resourced and funded for this. And the SIU have larger priorities, so something like sports doping falls low on the priority scale. Unless there is a more serious crime to hang it onto.

Take the concern on widespread doping abuse in school sports for years, especially rugby. Anabolics is a specific concern for SAIDS. It should warrant a proper criminal investigation.

https://www.news24.com/health24/Fitness/News/SA-schoolboys-taking-steroids-20120721

Also at some point we need to look at ourselves and the culture of how success is measured.

SAIDS expresses deep concern over a multiple steroid test result from a 15-year old school boy

https://drugfreesport.org.za/saids-expresses-deep-concern-over-a-multiple-steroid-test-result-from-a-15-year-old-schoolboy/

1 584 athletes tested during 2018/19 – SAIDS Annual Report published

http://drugfreesport.org.za/1-584-athletes-tested-during-2018-19-saids-annual-report-published/

Maybe the best way would be to have life time ban for all doping infringements unless provide all details of purchases and those that assisted with providing the dope. Therefore if one wants to return to the sport they actually have to do something to make the sport cleaner.

Provide doctors name that prescribed the meds, where bought the meds from etc.