Does doping exist in SA?

He now owns a bike shop who stock mainly the brand another very well known doper used to ride aswell. Oh and don't forget, his bike shop is supported weekly by PPA as that is where they host their post ride coffees.

Sure, but what I meant was he still got banned, his pro career was over and is still gets hate on the hub (not sure how much he cares about the last bit though)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the best way would be to have life time ban for all doping infringements unless provide all details of purchases and those that assisted with providing the dope. Therefore if one wants to return to the sport they actually have to do something to make the sport cleaner.

Provide doctors name that prescribed the meds, where bought the meds from etc.

Not sure how that would work? Isn't that a reductive approach?

Not all doping infringements are of equal measure, like any other legal case.

Sure, but what I meant was he still got banned, his pro career was over and is still gets hate on the hub (not sure how much he cares about the last bit though)

Because he isn't a 'likeable character' so much of the reaction is based on a sense of vengeance rather than justice.

The court of public opinion is a fickle one.

Maybe the best way would be to have life time ban for all doping infringements unless provide all details of purchases and those that assisted with providing the dope. Therefore if one wants to return to the sport they actually have to do something to make the sport cleaner.

Provide doctors name that prescribed the meds, where bought the meds from etc.

Is it that hard to get the drugs though? Seems the thinking on the hub is there is a sophisticated system run by a Dr Michele Ferrari behind every doping saffa rider while in reality I think its usually amateur hour with stuff you can google and order online... At best some crooked buddy like Shan Wilson to help

He stayed pretty quiet about his 360 life partner Kev Ev, their suppliers and their program though....

I like Davey. He is pretty open about his poor decisions as a younger man.

He is a good father and a really cool guy to chat to. It doesn't excuse his mistakes, but we all have some things in our past that have caused us to be unpopular or disliked by someone or another.

Because he isn't a 'likeable character' so much of the reaction is based on a sense of vengeance rather than justice.

The court of public opinion is a fickle one.

Used to be the Andy Murray of SA mtbing, just not quite as good... 

Is it that hard to get the drugs though? Seems the thinking on the hub is there is a sophisticated system run by a Dr Michele Ferrari behind every doping saffa rider while in reality I think its usually amateur hour with stuff you can google and order online... At best some crooked buddy like Shan Wilson to help

Correct, its not hard to do, does not mean its always legal. One can then investigate the supplier, either acting within dispensing guidelines etc.I know there was some product that was not yet approved for use in SA so had been brought in illegally, then no import duties paid on it and SARS got involved. 

Correct, its not hard to do, does not mean its always legal. One can then investigate the supplier, either acting within dispensing guidelines etc.I know there was some product that was not yet approved for use in SA so had been brought in illegally, then no import duties paid on it and SARS got involved. 

Doesn't everyone just call Shan Wilson?  :mellow:

Not sure how that would work? Isn't that a reductive approach?

Not all doping infringements are of equal measure, like any other legal case.

True, this is probably why doping still ticks over and has not been stomped out, its not easy to police due to the large ranges of issues.

I'm in the harsher punishment cat... been watching this doping sh!tshow for far too long.

Everyone knew Max was doping, Shan was doping, Brandon was doping, suspected Kevin, David etc...
There are probably hundreds of races where these guys took all the prize money home over the years.
I remember someone pointing out poignantly that Ben Melt was actually the Attakwas winner for the one year, despite on the day coming 4th or 5th.

It's insanity, and the kid gloves need to come off if we ever want to see change.

If I was one of those clean athletes always coming 5th over the years and was robbed of all those highlights, prize money, sponsorships - I'd be screaming from the roof tops.

Intentional doping for me should be a lifetime ban... as lovely a person as Lynette is, and as tragic as her circumstances are, there is no excuse for her racing while using PEDS. 

There are two routes to follow... you can sit in the 'everyone is doing it' boat and enjoy the show and keep your kids far away from the sport, or you can make sure that the punishment is harsh so that it serves as a proper real deterrent for athletes - so if by luck they are caught, an example is set that hopefully sends a clear message to athletes considering meddling in the dark arts.

The current deterrents clearly do not work and the scars of doping litter our countries cycling history like cheap confetti. It's terribly sad

I recall David George owned up, didn't make any difference to anything so I guess you might as well go for that excuse when you get caught?

Have far much more respect for David for taking his punishment without the excuses...

We've really had some great excuses over the years!

Just imagine some of the stories we would have heard if there was sufficient testing  :w00t:

Must he be punished forever? It’s a decent bike shop with good service and great coffee. Move on man, his infringements were more than a decade ago.

My Point is PPA still support him! They are a cycling body who promote junior riders, send riders to Europe etc but at the same time they support an ex doper? I'm not saying he should be punished forever no, But a sports body like PPA perhaps should be supporting elsewhere.

As a licenced rider I would happily pay a race entry dope testing levy with my entry

They don't test enough not in competition and not out of competition.

They should sommer start at the beginning.. When you take out a UCI or elite or whatever licence it is you do to race elites a mandatory Doping test should be done (at your own cost) before you even get that licence and are allowed to enter an event and then randomly over your first year as an elite (at your own costs) ... To start with.. . Sommer finished and klaar...

Edited by Gen

True, this is probably why doping still ticks over and has not been stomped out, its not easy to police due to the large ranges of issues.

Sure, but that's true of anything throughout the legal system.

And here's an unpopular reality, doping will never stomped out. We're dealing with human nature, there will always be someone committing an offence/crime.