Best grips for marathon rides?

Butterbean

I have to share something, I walked into Sportman's Warehouse about 2 weeks ago and as always had a browse at the cycling goodies,took a set of these. I have used ESI extra chunky for a few years and had no real issues, I do prefer bigger diameter grips, these new cheap ones is awesome nice and chunky and very comfortable...so just a suggestion....that won't break the bank even if it is just to try out.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/v-grip-foam-lock-grip/4275

these look nice. And cheap enough to try for sure. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To avoid numb hands stay away from flat end grips like ergon one,s and gloves with those thicker pressure point areas .Narrower bars will force you to grip at the end of the bar with your thumb forefinger and middle finger .Make sure your brake lever is also moved outwards so that your hand does not creep back to the inside .This was my solution to chronic numb hand problems .I rode 2019 Epic with no problems like before .I used ESI extra chunky and Scott gloves 

I've been using these lately:

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/v-grip-silicone-lock-grip/4275

I'm really liking them. Threw on a pair of Giant grips on the first day of Kingdom Enduro and my hands were toast by the end of the day. Put these back on and my hands were tops for the other days.

Fabric also does a nice lock-on silicon grip. Haven't tried them, but they sure look the business. 

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/fabric-silicon-lock-on-grip

I'll be trying them next.

DMR death grips or Sensus Swayze lock on. Both get more tacky when you sweat, both last ages and both are soft and soak up any vibration you might have.

1 awkward fall on the silicone grops and they tear.

If you have money, get a set of Rev grips.

Who sells Rev grips in South Africa ?

Just like the other two contact points, grips are personal preference.

I rode my original ergons across the country and everywhere inbetween.

ergon-gp2.jpg

They started to perish, but granted this was after 4/5 years of serious use. apparently they have sorted this out. I've actually kept them with the view of covering with leather.

They are *** expensive, but nowhere close to the cost of a saddle.

They will last Waaaaay longer than any chunky/silicone/whatever so there's a lifetime cost.

I currently have these

specialized-contour-xc-handlebar-grips-b

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/contour-xc-grips/p/155398?color=229209-155398

(but I've cut the ends off got bar ends on them).

Still got 2 sets of those bar end equipped Ergons floating around. Not ideal for trail riding but very comfy for long slogs...

Just like the other two contact points, grips are personal preference.

I rode my original ergons across the country and everywhere inbetween.

ergon-gp2.jpg

They started to perish, but granted this was after 4/5 years of serious use. apparently they have sorted this out. I've actually kept them with the view of covering with leather.

They are *** expensive, but nowhere close to the cost of a saddle.

They will last Waaaaay longer than any chunky/silicone/whatever so there's a lifetime cost.

I currently have these

specialized-contour-xc-handlebar-grips-b

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/contour-xc-grips/p/155398?color=229209-155398

(but I've cut the ends off got bar ends on them).

Got a set of those ergons on my IDT bike - super comfy. The Spaz ones pictured here goes on my bike for longer events - just not ideal for trail riding.

• 4 months later...

I'm having an issue with sore wrists. Been for a bike fitting and it helped but after 3+ hours on the bike my wrists get extremely painful.

Wondering if a set of the Ergon type grip will help?

Who sells Rev grips in South Africa ?

Order from their website. You can mix n match colours and thickness as well.

Courier shipping gets them to you inside a week.

I'm having an issue with sore wrists. Been for a bike fitting and it helped but after 3+ hours on the bike my wrists get extremely painful.

Wondering if a set of the Ergon type grip will help?

Ergon grips only spread the weight ,it does not reduce the weight .If you have a proper riding position already and it happens after 3 hours ,i am sure improving core strength is the answer  

Been running this set of Giant Grips ... cheap as chips at R150 and they have proven to be very comfortable ... the pattern also tends to take the "buzzzzzz" out rather well too.

If the flange is an issue for you, then cut it down.

giant-sole-o-bmx-grips-79928-1.jpg

Ergon grips only spread the weight ,it does not reduce the weight .If you have a proper riding position already and it happens after 3 hours ,i am sure improving core strength is the answer

They stop your wrist from rolling down and then over pressuring the outside of your hand. For longer rides they made a big difference for me as I really battled with wrist pain after 4 hours in the saddle

Been running this set of Giant Grips ... cheap as chips at R150 and they have proven to be very comfortable ... the pattern also tends to take the "buzzzzzz" out rather well too.

If the flange is an issue for you, then cut it down.

giant-sole-o-bmx-grips-79928-1.jpg

I know nothing about marathon grips but I'm all about the flange on the trails! I can't stand riding grips without them, feels like my hands are going to end up in the middle fo the bars. My Deity Enoki's were legendary but got discontinued and I've run out of NOS options. Gotta look like a kids BMX or it's nothing. 

Edited by T-Bob