The Gender Thread

Grease_Monkey

Nice virtue signalling, stretch. If you want others to be more open minded and consider other viewpoints, this isn't exactly the right tactic. Right now, you're effectively saying that you're morally superior to those who want to discuss this as it's beneath you; you're too open minded to consider this a topic for discussion.

Maybe.. But Someone started a thread to have a honest discussion and one of the first posts is a meme essentially making fun of the topic. I have no issue discussing topics such as this . But not when people are only here to make fun and mock

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe.. But Someone started a thread to have a honest discussion and one of the first posts is a meme essentially making fun of the topic. I have no issue discussing topics such as this . But not when people are only here to make fun and mock

Then say that, instead of deriding the rest of the people who want to discuss it as being closed minded. 

You know that there are always going to be jokes & memes about anything pertinent, esp here where the majority of contributors are anonymous (despite "knowing" them) - be the bigger person, and discuss the posts that are relevant to the conversation, or give us your opinion on it / issues within the topic. But your post on the first page was exceptionally defeatist and frankly oozed "moral high ground" and sanctimoniousness. 

first page was exceptionally defeatist and frankly oozed "moral high ground" and sanctimoniousness.

Defeatist... Yes and Because it's gonna be very difficult discussing a topic that 99% of the people discussing it really have no fist hand experience in the topic at hand.. And I say that without trying to sound sanctimonious.

My sister used to be my brother. My parents are fairly conservative. It was a long, at times very difficult process that ended happily and eventually brought us all closer.

I have absolutely no interest in joining 'male vs female' arguments, but if anyone has genuine questions about this specific issue I will be happy to answer them.

What was the driver for your brother?

What was the driver for your brother?

Unhappiness, basically, for a long time, mingled with rage, depression, etc. until thankfully he started seeing a psychologist.

Defeatist... Yes and Because it's gonna be very difficult discussing a topic that 99% of the people discussing it really have no fist hand experience in the topic at hand.. And I say that without trying to sound sanctimonious.

I'm suddenly intrigued by what you have to say about it then. I'm actually being sincere here. No sarcasm intended at all. Please. Enlighten me.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

that's just the kindergarten version

the real story is a bit more complex than that, I suggest an open mind if you're going to follow this one.

I hope the leftist find this bigot and ruin his career!

So then use it as an opportunity to enlighten them.

Gender is a very complex issue in a very small minority of people. For the majority of people its a very simple and binary topic.

I'm suddenly intrigued by what you have to say about it then. I'm actually being sincere here. No sarcasm intended at all. Please. Enlighten me.

I have met someone who transitioned and had a long chat with her. I have also listened to a plethora of moth stories (which is where people stand up and tell stories unaided) by people who have transitioned. Anyway.. This person I spoke to..Her entire life she knew she was in the wrong body.. We can't understand it because we have never been.. But she knew it. It's only a few chromosomes that differentiate us. When she had means she transitioned. Full transition. Hormone replacement treatment, gender reassignment. The works. She is happy and she is a girl. Edited by Stretch

I have met someone who transitioned and had a long chat with her. I have also listened to a plethora of moth stories (which is where people stand up and tell stories unaided) by people who have transitioned. Anyway.. This person I spoke to..Her entire life she new she was in the wrong body.. We can't understand it because we have never been.. But she knew it. It's only a few chromosomes that differentiate us. When she had means she transitioned. Full transition. Hormone replacement treatment, gender reassignment. The works. She is happy and she is a girl.

Thats great to hear. But that's her story.

Im not sure that was what Skollie was asking.

Thats great to hear. But that's her story.

Im not sure that was what Skollie was asking.

He indirectly asked if I have had first hand experience. Yes I have. I have talked and discussed with someone who has undergone a gender transition. My view on it had been enlightened as a result.

Unless anyone here has transitioned, the entire discussion will be premised on 2nd hand information, anecdote, recycled internet opinions and 'gut feel'. 

Unless anyone here has transitioned, the entire discussion will be premised on 2nd hand information, anecdote, recycled internet opinions and 'gut feel'.

Pretty much why I don't share my opinion on a public forum like this. I have my beliefs, opinions, ideas, etc. But... I have zero experience with any of this, and although I think the world has gone crazy, I also know there are many confused people out there, that are struggling with real issues I can't even comprehend (applies to sexuality, gender, and the list goes on). In short I don't think our opinions really matter - what does matter at the end of the day is trying to understand these people and at the very least have empathy for what they are going through - whether you agree with it or not.

When parents force these things on their children (as I believe many are - it's seems to be the newest trend), that's a different story - one I have alot less understanding/conpassion for. And please don't read this as me saying all kids that are going through this is as a result of their parents indoctrination - I just am of the opinion there are some parents doing some crazy stuff for attention.

Anyway, like Odi said, anecdotal at best. And there I go sharing an opinion I said I wouldn't haha.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

This came to mind: 

Liberal Relieved He Never Has To Introspect Again After Assembling All The Correct Opinions

MADISON, WI—Taking a moment to reflect on his hard-won personal accomplishment, area liberal Tom Hudson expressed relief Monday that he would never again have to engage in self-examination after finally assembling all the correct opinions. “It definitely wasn’t easy, but now that I have all the proper perspectives on the world all perfectly arranged inside of my head, I know I’ll never need to question my own thoughts, beliefs, or opinions ever again,” said Hudson, proudly recounting his previous efforts at researching all necessary sociopolitical issues, conducting a rigorous self-exploration to determine which of his behaviors were problematic or harmful, and finally achieving the proper balance of beliefs to ensure once and for all that he is an indisputably good person. “It’s such a huge weight off my shoulders. I never have to consider my place in society or my impact on the issues ever again now that I know exactly how to present myself as one of the good guys. This feels amazing.” Hudson was then immediately and savagely attacked by his fellow liberals, who insist that his current views are nowhere near progressive enough.

https://local.theonion.com/liberal-relieved-he-never-has-to-introspect-again-after-1834720785?utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF

I have met someone who transitioned and had a long chat with her. I have also listened to a plethora of moth stories (which is where people stand up and tell stories unaided) by people who have transitioned. Anyway.. This person I spoke to..Her entire life she knew she was in the wrong body.. We can't understand it because we have never been.. But she knew it. It's only a few chromosomes that differentiate us. When she had means she transitioned. Full transition. Hormone replacement treatment, gender reassignment. The works. She is happy and she is a girl.

This is where I want to sit down with such a person and have a conversation. Except that I'll not be able to put into words the questions I want to ask.

I'd like to understand things like why they thought they were in the wrong body. Maybe even go back in their life to see if there wasnt a trigger or a series of events that lead to that feeling.

And why and how they realised it was a physical body problem rather than a mental problem.