KCNC 12 speed cassette

W@nted

https://youtu.be/9Rxsbquvaf0

Whilst not totally technologically challenged, I have no social media accounts apart from Le Hub so I thought that might be tricky but thanks Meezo, that was so simple

Eina my cog

Try drilling a little less b-tension?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I snapped some of the yellow part of casettes teeth after 45kms,had issues with shifting when it was installed at the bike shop but after shifting to a xx1 chain got that part sorted ,still trying to get the warranty sorted

Hi

I snapped some of the yellow part of casettes teeth after 45kms,had issues with shifting when it was installed at the bike shop but after shifting to a xx1 chain got that part sorted ,still trying to get the warranty sorted

Photos ? :eek:

I tried a brand new XX1 chain - will try with a slightly used one

Generally I never buy the 1st gen of anything but when it comes to bikes all sense flies out the window

I tried a brand new XX1 chain - will try with a slightly used one

Generally I never buy the 1st gen of anything but when it comes to bikes all sense flies out the window

Hi Waynemol

Just check your chainline on the KCNC. Being a 9 instead of a 10 it is more "sensitive" to the angle of the chain so try and get the line a bit closer to the 9 - that might help with the shifting

Oh yes - one NB part....

Please tell us that you installed this as a one-piece cassette and not like the E-Thirteen cassettes that are 2 pieces? In other words you did not remove the 6 Allen-key bolts that hold the 2 pieces together and slid the top part onto the freebody and screwed the bottom part on...?

Edited by Naas

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I called Louis at Knipe Racing after sending him the video of my chain slipping and he suggested trying a slightly used chain. I probably should have asked why but I've learnt that if I just listen to Louis things work. Instead of the brand new one, my LBS used my existing chain (also xx1 gold) This chain has about 1500km of gravel use but shows no wear.

In the shop test the chain is working but I am away for a couple of days and will give it a proper test this weekend.

Still seems odd that I need to do this to make a brand new cassette work

Ok so I called Louis at Knipe Racing after sending him the video of my chain slipping and he suggested trying a slightly used chain. I probably should have asked why but I've learnt that if I just listen to Louis things work. Instead of the brand new one, my LBS used my existing chain (also xx1 gold) This chain has about 1500km of gravel use but shows no wear.

In the shop test the chain is working but I am away for a couple of days and will give it a proper test this weekend.

Still seems odd that I need to do this to make a brand new cassette work

The chain is catching on a tooth from the next cog. If you check the profile of a cog the teeth don't sit in an exactly straight line, some of them are closer to the next cog. Makes it easier to change gears I guess. So file that tooth a little bit, or, use a chain that's worn a bit. If you put your bike on a stand and slowly pedal the chain you'll see it catch a bit. It's definitely not limited to just this cassette, I've had it happen with 11x shimano cassettes.

Managed to make this cassette function properly using an older chain and did two 50km rides this past weekend

Just went to my Lbs and put the XX1 cassette back

Here are my reasons

The 9 was great and gave me massive top end - BUT on my test route I was slower than average but more tired than average.  I put this down to working when I'd usually be cruising or resting.  

Finding the right gear apart from the 9 was awful - the satellite dish at the top is a 52 - so in conjunction with the 9, you get some weird jumps.  I can't imagine ever using that 52, not sure my bike would even move forwards.

It is worth noting that I used this on my gravel bike and my opinion is not based on a lot of technical know how. It may work better for another application, I'm not going to try.  For now Sram remains king of the 12 speed cassette in my world

post-81229-0-64712700-1561981159_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-79281800-1561981181_thumb.jpg

Managed to make this cassette function properly using an older chain and did two 50km rides this past weekend

Just went to my Lbs and put the XX1 cassette back

Here are my reasons

The 9 was great and gave me massive top end - BUT on my test route I was slower than average but more tired than average.  I put this down to working when I'd usually be cruising or resting.  

Finding the right gear apart from the 9 was awful - the satellite dish at the top is a 52 - so in conjunction with the 9, you get some weird jumps.  I can't imagine ever using that 52, not sure my bike would even move forwards.

It is worth noting that I used this on my gravel bike and my opinion is not based on a lot of technical know how. It may work better for another application, I'm not going to try.  For now Sram remains king of the 12 speed cassette in my world

thanks for sharing Wayne. I like to learn from others mistakes :thumbup: