Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

For me (besides Martin;s race), the ride of RASA2019 is proving to be RG du Toit, he's off alone very late into the Osseberg, he's done it a few months ago in RTW2019, but he's going in there tonight with no moon to speak of and no tracks at all. 

This could get interesting or be a very masterful ride - either way its worth keeping an eye on tonight.

He's been stuck at the first river crossing for two hours since last light. Looks like he is sleeping there crossing that place at night is a dream but its a privilivege for few to pull it off.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracker distances are inaccurate. 

I think at some stage some of them were reset as previously some trackers showed distances much higher than what had been ridden.  I am assuming the RTR trackers changed to RASA riders and the distance accumulated.  

If you click the red line though it shows the route distance of each "day"- not sure that helps work it out but time is more of a factor than distance in this case. 

correct and unfortunately we can't correct (not for lack of trying)

He's been stuck at the first river crossing for two hours since last light. Looks like he is sleeping there crossing that place at night is a dream but its a privilivege for few to pull it off.

Last night it looked like he had a plan to get down to the old camp site an sleep there......this morning it doesn't look too much like there is a plan, more like now trying to establish where he is.

Ouch.

think I need to re-assess my previous comments about admiration for his ride...brave, but now not winning at nav

no compass? going upstream?

very easy to comment from the comfort of my computer

painful to watch

I see Willem is way off course. Looks deliberate, any reason for that?

OK, now Martin is taking the same route, so there must be a reason then.

Edited by M Hickley

Martin Dreyer did a massive push over the past 36hours, in order to try and get through the baviaanskloof "gate" at 6am. he made it, just.

very hard to see how Cambria at 6am can be bettered in years to come.

That's PMB to Rhodes in 2 days - 482km with 11220m ascent

Rhodes to Cambria in 4 days - 926km with 12715m ascent

I guess you could take a few hours off, arrive at Cambria midnight and get a bit of rest.

To be able to make the 1pm gate on 5 days 7 hours, you would need:

a)perfect riding conditions

b)a faster rider

the first one is obviously impossible to control, being winter and all. but the headwinds experienced probably added on a 5/6 hours due to slower riding time and increased efforts.

the second one is a bit of an existential question. Martin is a freak of nature, but is 50 and comes from a paddling not cycling background. There are definitely faster cyclists out there, but to be able to navigate and get the headspace right is a very unique combination. The tourdivide record is under 14days (and that's 4500km admittedly easier terrain). Would be great for FC to be seen as one of the bikepacking tickbox races (because there would be some very quick guys going in the wrong direction rapidly too)

How far is the convoy section - ie: where does it end?

put the tracker on, and stick with terrain - you'll see where the reserve boundary ends near zandvlakte (it's about 50km in total)

So 2 3 and 4 went into Mordor at night and will soon make it out, but not soon enough to catch the morning convoy.

Still proud an jealous of you JT.

Still remember JT asking me nicely over dinner(after having ridden himself to bits to catch me near Kleinpoort) if I could take him on a guided tour through Mordor on his and my first Freedom Challenge. His nav and trails skills have cought up in the mean time with his already strong engine.

Go boy clap it

So 2 3 and 4 went into Mordor at night and will soon make it out, but not soon enough to catch the morning convoy.

Still proud an jealous of you JT.

Still remember JT asking me nicely over dinner(after having ridden himself to bits to catch me near Kleinpoort) if I could take him on a guided tour through Mordor on his and my first Freedom Challenge. His nav and trails skills have cought up in the mean time with his already strong engine.

Go boy clap it

2015? He had us in stitches climbing to Vuvu. "This nav stuff! I can ride fast but now I have to look down all the time ….. " 

Edited by novice forever