Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

Don't think Janine is racing. Enjoying the ride rather this year.

Dont count out Janine - she's incredible if she's racing - hope Mark keeps up.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These current riders all stop at Rhodes.

RTR - Race to Rhodes

RASA - Race Across South Africa - these bunches only start on the 17th, they follow the same route as RTR to Rhodes, but just keeping going down the rest of the trail after that

Thanks . Used to rely on Johann for info and a drive out towards Groot Sleutelfontein where he liked to " welcome" participants .

Yoh, another super long day for the other half of batch 1.... not being familiar with the route, is it a tough day or did they just struggle?

It is a reasonably difficult day, and for these guys on the back of a 15 hour day 1. Looks like they did not get lost, so just slow going for them. If you know the route well, it should be more like 7-9 hours easily, so an 18 hour day for them was tough going. Kudos for sticking it out and lets hope they go well today.  

Mike Woolnough off this morning. It will be interesting to see if he can get under 48 hrs to Rhodes. The weather will have to play along. He's quicker at the moment than I have ever seen him.

These are the times he will be targeting over the next +/- 44 hours. 

Into Allandale around 13h15 today, then cruising through Centocow mission by 16h30, a quick snack at Ntsikeni near to 21h30, shout hello to Sheila and Charles then off to Masakala for some breakfast, Malek at midday on Friday, some Vuvu chicken and maybe a zamalek before 9pm, and then Rhodes before 07h47 on Saturday to break the record? 

Sometime tonight, he will probably pass Batch1, John, Nico2 and Wade as they make their way to GE or maybe Masakala tonight?  :clap:

Into Allandale around 13h15 today, then cruising through Centocow mission by 16h30, a quick snack at Ntsikeni near to 21h30, shout hello to Sheila and Charles then off to Masakala for some breakfast, Malek at midday on Friday, some Vuvu chicken and maybe a zamalek before 9pm, and then Rhodes before 07h47 on Saturday to break the record? 

Sometime tonight, he will probably pass Batch1, John, Nico2 and Wade as they make their way to GE or maybe Masakala tonight?  :clap:

I think his goal is to get to Rhodes before 6am on Sat. Lehana in the dark!!

What is the weather like your way?

yes, he has to tackle lehanas by night to have a shot at the sub48.

Weather is okish, chilly and cloudy, dry now and wind is breezy, but not too bad. 

1 degree in Queenstown this morning but open skies and looks to be a balmy day. 

At 11am today, it looks like Mike is playing cat and mouse with Axel and Daniel in the Umko vallley..... On day three since the official start of the batches, things are going to get exciting I think  :clap:  

On track so far, Centocow before 16h30 ish  :thumbup: , as the sun nears the horizon...

Spot on Piston Percy :) !! Mike in at Centocow 16h30.....!!

Spot on Piston Percy :) !! Mike in at Centocow 16h30.....!!

the next 12 hours will be interesting.., temp around zero, no rain and a light breeze - lovely riding conditions.

And Mike is storming. I see the Greaves pair left with him from Ntsikeni - I wonder how long they will last. He is a scary animal on the charge.

And Axel is investigating yet uncharted portions of Ntsikeni. :-)

I thought he would have seen the lights by now, but clearly not.

And Axel is investigating yet uncharted portions of Ntsikeni. :-)

I thought he would have seen the lights by now, but clearly not.

Looking for the Ntsikeni Spotted Night Owl :whistling:

Did you guys see Mike is struggling with frozen cables and bottles, leaving him in granny and nothing to drink going into Ntsikeni. 

That is another level of cold!

:eek:  :eek:  :eek: