Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA, tough crowd this year for comments and support!

Yea wind not looking like much fun, but overcast and cool at least from what I've seen forecast. 

I'll just be glad to finally get this monkey off my back, it been a long 2 years of training and refocusing, so I'm not too concerned about finish times, but just to get it done. 

Good luck everyone, enjoy the taper and travel safe!

Just now, Carmichael said:

jip same want to get it done. What do you think wll happen with the swim with this wind? 2019 they shortened it with 25km/h wind..

Think the swim will be shortened again. As for the bike and run portion, it will be much like 2019. I remember the avg wind was 43km/h with gust up to 65km/h . First time i had to peddle flat out on a downhill to keep moving forward. 

Anyway, best of luck guys. To get to the start line after the past 2 years is an achievement in itself. 

Same with me, have been saying for years I need to do an Ironman, just want to complete it. But the winds prediction looks like it will be an interesting day...

Think we will be ok for a full swim coarse, light SW and SE winds the days before should settle the bay (so I hope). If memory serves me right in 2019, we had 2 days of ESE winds turning the bay into a washing machine. 

Good luck to everyone, and remember to enjoy.

Say howzit if you pass me, # 637 (pass me slowly please so it does not make me look to bad!)

2 hours ago, ScottC-M said:

Think the swim will be shortened again. As for the bike and run portion, it will be much like 2019. I remember the avg wind was 43km/h with gust up to 65km/h . First time i had to peddle flat out on a downhill to keep moving forward. 

Anyway, best of luck guys. To get to the start line after the past 2 years is an achievement in itself. 

"First time iI had to peddle flat out on a downhill to keep moving forward. " - no lies, the wind was very bad in 2019, it broke me on the cycle, went out way to hard and payed for it on the run. I did not think that the swim was that bad but we did have two guys drown. I think people panic and that makes it worse.

My 2 cents if the wind blows take it easy on the bike, especially if you are from JHB, we are not used to cycling in wind like that and compared to the cradle the course is not flat.

Edited by _David_

Anyways... good luck to everyone!

Try not to worry about the weather and other **** that you can't control. Have fun and give it horns.

Screenshot_20211113-132129_Instagram.jpg.bbba1d196f5a47fab199faa5c8a8dfec.jpg

Edited by _David_

All the best folks, wish I could be there…. 

anyone know if it’s being streamed?

Edited by IceCreamMan

Guys better pack your big lungs, 2,4 to 2.6m swell and 13seconds wave lenght... gonna make the swim interesting... 

Best of luck guys. I must admit i have FOMO for Sunday but definitely wouldn't have been able to do the training for the event. In fact iI'm 15kgs heavier than i was for the 2019 event, which was the last time i swam too. 

36 minutes ago, ScottC-M said:

Best of luck guys. I must admit i have FOMO for Sunday but definitely wouldn't have been able to do the training for the event. In fact iI'm 15kgs heavier than i was for the 2019 event, which was the last time i swam too. 

Eeek.... I'm too scared to weigh myself at home. 

Do you have to pay to weight stuff at those truck weighbridge things? Asking for a friend....