Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Is the theory behind the no swim to keep the distance from other athletes? 

I thought that the swim starts are now in smaller groups?

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the theory behind the no swim to keep the distance from other athletes? 

I thought that the swim starts are now in smaller groups?

Or maybe because no one can swim train?

Went for my fisrt swim in almost 4 months last week...holy crap!So the tire burning might just be a brilliant idea!

Luckily mine is only in march, but also wondering if Nov will happen cannot see it happening, Well if it is a 21 -180-  42 happening i am soooooo f*&^%g glad i moved it to March lol. Want to enter K2C but that also looks slim.. One thing is certain all these events ( IM, K2C, W2W) are all holding on for dear life, to see what is happening, but with the current s*&t storm happening in the covid life i cannot see any events happening this year.

21-180-42, gives me a cold shiver! I spent almost the same time ‘running’ as I did riding last year. I too am seriously doubtful November will happen, but luckily deferred to March. Even March could be in doubt. Meanwhile we focus on Trans Baviaans in Jan??

• 3 weeks later...

How do we even get a straight answer out of Ironman?

I also can't see it happening and if it's a run-swim-run then I'd prefer racing in March 2021.

So am I arranging tires then?  :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this yet? gong ahead? How is the swim training going? ;)

Swim training, what's that? 

I'm going to ask to defer my entry, not sure how successful I'll be with that but I'd like to whole painful exprerience, a run bike run isn't the same as putting your wetsuit on, being nervous as hell, peeing in your wetsuit at least three times before you even take your first swim stroke. 

I'm running a bit not as much as I'd like to. 

How's everyone elses training coming along? 

Well,have the same questions.I was dof enough to defer my 2020 entry to Nov 2020 event.Reason was that I wanted a awsome Dec holiday with kids...fishing etc.But as soon as it got cold and gyms being closed I was regretting my decision.I contacted IM and humbly asked if I can defer my entry to 2021.Their short answe was NO.They will only notify us 45 days out if the event is going to proceed or not.Bottom line, do not want to arrive there bleeding through my naught!So started training....eish.Also doubt it will go ahead,but you never know

Ironman is hilarious.

We have your money

We will do what we want

You will all still love us!

I'm in the same boat ,want to change my entry to 2021

Edited by Shebeen

Jip true, we deferred to March earlier, so now just trying to keep logging some base miles , running 2ice a week mtb twice... And we may not swim so my swimming is no where, swam last in march.. IM is really quiet with other events pulling the plug next to them...

A couple of us deferred our entries to March from the initial November deferral, we all got the same copy past reply from Sharon, telling us not to tell anyone but that they would "allow" it and then they inform you that in doing so you forfeit the possibility of deferring it again should we not be able to participate in March 2021.

Which is all fair and well, BUT if you wait until the Nov race is cancelled due to covid you will automatically be deferred to March 2021 and will still have a deferral option available to you should you not be able to make the March 2021 race (albeit your deferral needs to be done like a long time before race day I think).

So the whole schpeel about "allowing" the deferral even though it is not the norm, to me is a load of baloney, as the main reason they are allowing it, and they make the future deferral clause very clear in their reply, is that it means that by accepting that clause you are basically guaranteeing ironman your March 2021 race fees.  

It is not really a massive thing as I fully intend racing in March and I understand that they are trying to guarantee 2021 income, but just thought I would point out a drawback of doing the deferral.  I do think it is better to defer and focus on more probable race date and start working towards that, rather than doing half baked training to keep thing ticking over in the hopes that November does take place and then trying to cram in some swim training with 6 weeks to go.  3.8km is a long way to swim with limited preparation - well for me anyway.

This is totally my view on this deferral thing and in no way factually accurate in the way Ironman are operating their business planning so feel free to disregard my little rant.  Still cant wait to race again as soon as things calm down and cant wait to hear how the Weymouth race is going to be handled in September.

A couple of us deferred our entries to March from the initial November deferral, we all got the same copy past reply from Sharon, telling us not to tell anyone but that they would "allow" it and then they inform you that in doing so you forfeit the possibility of deferring it again should we not be able to participate in March 2021.

Which is all fair and well, BUT if you wait until the Nov race is cancelled due to covid you will automatically be deferred to March 2021 and will still have a deferral option available to you should you not be able to make the March 2021 race (albeit your deferral needs to be done like a long time before race day I think).

So the whole schpeel about "allowing" the deferral even though it is not the norm, to me is a load of baloney, as the main reason they are allowing it, and they make the future deferral clause very clear in their reply, is that it means that by accepting that clause you are basically guaranteeing ironman your March 2021 race fees.  

It is not really a massive thing as I fully intend racing in March and I understand that they are trying to guarantee 2021 income, but just thought I would point out a drawback of doing the deferral.  I do think it is better to defer and focus on more probable race date and start working towards that, rather than doing half baked training to keep thing ticking over in the hopes that November does take place and then trying to cram in some swim training with 6 weeks to go.  3.8km is a long way to swim with limited preparation - well for me anyway.

This is totally my view on this deferral thing and in no way factually accurate in the way Ironman are operating their business planning so feel free to disregard my little rant.  Still cant wait to race again as soon as things calm down and cant wait to hear how the Weymouth race is going to be handled in September.

I got the same thing with my deferral of Weymouth, after advising because of C19 I could not fly, afford the quarantine time required by the UK government coming from SA, they let me defer to 2021 also saying that it was not the norm but would allow it.  I subsequently queried whether would be possible to defer to Bahrain in December rather and was advised no and that my allocation for Weymouth 2021 has already been done and if for any reason I cannot make it then, I will not be able to defer further, even though the initial deferring was not of my doing but because of logistics of flights, quarantine and C19 pandemic.

I got the same thing with my deferral of Weymouth, after advising because of C19 I could not fly, afford the quarantine time required by the UK government coming from SA, they let me defer to 2021 also saying that it was not the norm but would allow it.  I subsequently queried whether would be possible to defer to Bahrain in December rather and was advised no and that my allocation for Weymouth 2021 has already been done and if for any reason I cannot make it then, I will not be able to defer further, even though the initial deferring was not of my doing but because of logistics of flights, quarantine and C19 pandemic.

That is really a kark one!  I was about to pull the trigger on Weymouth as well, I had accommodation booked (luckily it seems I can get a refund on this) and was only considering it due to the fact that we were planning on being in the UK at the time and it seemed a great chance to do a different event, so I would be peeved to be given a straight deferral to next year with no opportunity to choose a different event that might suit my travel plans better, I mean a trip to the UK isn't exactly on the top of everyone's bucket list destinations.

Edited by lurkerza

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so now W2W made up their mind and pulled the plug, so it is only IM still hanging on? mmmmmm W2W was supposed to be 2 weeks before IM. Come on IM talk to the peeps.