Cheap vs expensive MTB hubs

Zorro5614

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read all the posts here.

Wayne's hubs from Rapide are excellent quality, and light also.

Circus Monkey make a damn fine set of hubs too

I am a bit late to the party.

Always have been a huge Novatec fan, ran them on 90% of my bikes up until now. . Believed it to be a good value for money. Spent some time on Formula, Sun Ringle, Dt swiss, and Giant hubs.

Spent the last year on Stans 3.30 and last night popped my Hope Pro4 cherrie. All I can say is that I am a convert. Not sure I will ride any other hub again if I have a choice.

Always lusted over a set of I9's or Chris King, but weee out of my budget still.

I didn't read all the posts, but just in terms of convertibility between axle standards and parts availabliity, build quality, weight and engagement it seems that Hope's are the clear choice if you can get the cash together for them.

snip

I didn't read all the posts, but just in terms of convertibility between axle standards and parts availabliity, build quality, weight and engagement it seems that Hope's are the clear choice if you can get the cash together for them.

Hope also for re-saleability...they don't last that long on the classifieds usually. They are like cocaine to a 80s stock broker. 

CWC sometimes have specials on wheels built with Hope Pro 4 and Stans rims. That is how I bought my one wheelset.

ECC hubs are incredible for the price - highly recommend if buying on a budget

Otherwise, Hope Pro - Steezey  :thumbup:  

Would like to hear your guys feeling about hubs for nice carbon rims

Would you choose some reliable generic hubs like Chosen or Novatec? More middle ground like Hope Pro 4? More expensive like DT Swiss 240? Or crazy expensive like Chris King?

How many Points of engagement is enough? 18, 36, 54, 90 or the crazy 690 of the new I9 Hydra hubs

Chris King on both my bikes.

They wear in, not out.

Quality is out of this world and fairly easy to maintain yourself.

They are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime! until the hub standard sizing changes and CK doesnt supply adapters.

I fixed that for you.

I haven't ridden or opened a set of shimano hubs in ages, but they were using normal ball bearings the last time i did service a set, not sure the latest are using sealed bearings?

so the new M8100 XT hubs still using the old cone and ball bearing system.

At least they're not completely silent like the xtr hub

Archived