Slx or Sunrace 11-46 11sp cassette?

Ruru

Hi all.

Anybody have experience with both these cassettes on a 11 sp 29er. I have a 42t slx cassette and changed from a 32 to 30t chainring, but I still struggle on some of the steeper hills where I would prefer to be spinning a bit more. I can actually get the 11-46 slx cassette for a bit cheaper than the sunrace mx8. Two possible issues - replacing the 42t with a 46 gives me a better 1st gear but a very hard 2nd, which will be better on the sunrace (40t 2nd gear).

On sunrace the gaps between higher gears are further apart. Is it a hassle as you spend most of your time in those gears? I actually like riding hills and I’m battling with the new bike compared to 2x10. I prefer the simplicity of 1x at this stage (or thats what I keep telling myself). Changing to 2x will be more expensive.

The sunrace I found was little better the jump on the Shimano is quite big.

Currently have a 46t XT cassette on 1 of my bikes. Have to say the XT cassette lasts long never had the sunrace long so can't say how that lasts.

I have the sunrace 11-46 and 11-50. They don’t last as long as the Slx. The 11 tooth wears very quick

11-46 is a jump for the 11-42. Check that your rear derailure cage accommodates the 46T

I have the sunrace 11-46 and 11-50. They don’t last as long as the Slx. The 11 tooth wears very quick

Just buy the 11 tooth separately on Ebay for around R120 and double the life of your cassette.

Just buy the 11 tooth separately on Ebay for around R120 and double the life of your cassette.

I just use a round file to file the teeth a bit deeper. Trail and error. Use a new chain to check the application of the chain onto the ring.

had slx 11-46 on the wifes bike, the big jump in gear range was not great...

went sunrace for that reason and found the gears were not as smooth and the chain dropped a couple of gears with half a back pedal...everything was new btw

i cant remeber what chain i used though, probably shimano so maybe they didn't like each other. so went slx again and dropped to 30t ring as shes not riding as much anymore and that change made the jump a bit less pronounced   

had slx 11-46 on the wifes bike, the big jump in gear range was not great...

went sunrace for that reason and found the gears were not as smooth and the chain dropped a couple of gears with half a back pedal...everything was new btw

i cant remeber what chain i used though, probably shimano so maybe they didn't like each other. so went slx again and dropped to 30t ring as shes not riding as much anymore and that change made the jump a bit less pronounced   

Just making an assumption here so ignore me if not:

i put a full new SLX drivetrain (also 11/46) on the wifes bike a few weeks ago and you can back pedal that thing for days without dropping the chain (though I do spend waaaay to much time getting the L-H-B screws 100% perfect :blush: ) - thats on the SLX 32 front ring/crank too. You did double check that you have the chain the right way around? - assuming you are using a Shimano chain? Shimano chains are directional and need the text on the chain facing outward (drive side). It's super easy to forget if you are used to KMC chains witch are non directional lol. That will cause chain drop/crappy shifting for sure.

I have sunrace 11-50 with a 36 up front (11speed), but the biggest issue for me is the spread at the bottom 11,13,15,17 those are big jumps when you are on the flats, beyond the 17 it does not matter as the jump in cadence is not felt as much. But going from gear to gear on the bottom 3 or for gears bumps my cadence big time and you can never find a sweet spot.

A much better option id going for something like E13 and new freebody. there you get 9,10,11,13. Especially if you are running a 30 up front.

PS. it was a bit of a challenge getting the settings right, but Sh!tmano is not specified for a 50 so ....

Edited by TDFN

E13 may look nice and perhaps it is beter but the price differential puts it out of most people’s range

I know of two bike shops who don't stock e13 cassettes and don't want to fit them anymore. The one mechanic told me straight to give e13 cassettes a skip pass.