MTB sizing advice/debate

Bru1991

So Bru the question now is what to do?    1st prize would be to get you comfortable on your existing M Scott (Comfortable both physically, mentally and emotionally   :rolleyes: )

Saddle set backwards if possible, Reverse your stem, Lower Saddle post slightly ???

My thinking is if you managed to ride the bike thus far without extreme discomfort and pain, you could probably still ride it for some time to come without having to buy a new one? 

Hey Ashchest, 

So Set-up is booked, aim here is to make the mini-scott as comfy as possible.

Yes this is the weird thing I have always had the cramped feeling but never any real pain or discomfort the only pain I have sometimes, depending more on torque output is some front knee discomfort. But this is recently and I wonder if my mind has taken the whole bike to small thing and made it into something.

I guess second option would be to maybe look for a larger frame and rebuild, but finances are tight so let's take it one step at a time.

Will do detail write-up on bike fitment results and changes.

Thanks again for all the input.

Edited by Bru1991

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back to the bikeshop with the bike when the guy who sold you the bike is not there.

Tell them you want a new bike and your mate has offered you his secondhand one, but you think it is too small for you.

Ask them their opinion. When they confirm that it is too small, take it from there.

Hey Ashchest, 

So Set-up is booked, aim here is to make the mini-scott as comfy as possible.

Yes this is the weird thing I have always had the cramped feeling but never any real pain or discomfort the only pain I have sometimes, depending more on torque output is some front knee discomfort. But this is recently and I wonder if my mind has taken the whole bike to small thing and made it into something.

I guess second option would be to maybe look for a larger frame and rebuild, but finances are tight so let's take it one step at a time.

Will do detail write-up on bike fitment results and changes.

Thanks again for all the input.

Bru, get this whole "mini Scott" "bike is too small for me" notion out of your head. Its simply not too small for you but clearly set up poorly. Scott would not advise the size range to be up to 1.8m if they didn't mean it.

Does the Scott medium run smaller than other brands? I personally don't think so but everyone thinks the shortest possible stem is the best thing since sliced bread and I disagree with that as well.

Being on the Small / medium cusp myself I always tend to opt for the smaller bike simply because its just more nimble and easier to work through tight singletrack. I see people struggle with bigger longer bikes all the time. If enjoying the downs only and surviving the climbs is how you want to play then there's merit in opting for the bigger size bike. But if you're looking for the balance between the two then the smaller size always trumps the bigger bike.

So let the bike fit guide you and try to quiet the "bike is too small " voices ringing in your head. Life is too short for that sort of negativity.

I reckon you're going to end up with a 80mm stem 6 degree rise, maybe a 10mm layback seat post and a slightly lower saddle height by around 1cm. The higher bar height will allow you more room to move about the bike as well giving you more confidence without impacting your ability to steer the bike on steep climbs.

in the mean time maybe record the current settings in terms of where the saddle is in relation to the bb bar drop, bar to saddle , saddle height, etc and play around a little with the suggestions here. You can always reset before the bike fit

this beeing said....bike shops have been more eagerly trying to flog "bike fits" in recent times in my experience.It's like they have wised up to people being told it is ALWAYS a bike fit issue ...and they know just how to sell stuff to sheeple.

I recently had an experience at one of the spaz bike shops like this. I have med-high foot arches and recently got a new pair of spaz comp mtb shoes. i have been experiencing some tingling/numbness after about 2 hours or so in the saddle in my right foot. I know I usually need some sort of insole support in any of my shoes but i just tried them first to see. So i went there to get a pair of higher insoles and the first thing was - you need a bike fit. :lol:

My new insoles solved my problems for what it's worth. :P

There are a range of people in all industries from total twat to awesome expert - luckily we choose who we deal with.

By and large I find bike shops tend to want you on the best fitting bike for their customer. Sure some want to move stock but mostly they try not to sell unhappiness.

I certainly don't think Bru's Lbs sold him what they have as Scott have had stock of all sizes this year and medium and large are the two most popular sizes.

Not everyone is out to screw the customer

That may be true but whether the advice is intentionally or unintentionally bad, the customer still ends up in pretty much the same place.

The advise is just that, advise from someone in the store who sees far more customers on bikes and also outfits more customers than the average bikehubber. Outfitting a bike is a two way street. Store and client, bikefitter and client. It starts in the shop and is only improved through feedback. Contrary to popuar belief there is no perfect bike fit. The body adapts to many discomforts.

There is an ideal starting point of course but the body can handle a lot of deviation around that

Don’t buy bike on frame size. Buy based on fit to your body. Every manufacturer is different and every range of bikes is different - frame size is a very broad guideline.

To the OP, get a proper bike setup done. Your bike is set up like a 60kg XC pro would race it. That is not good for bike handling or bike fit, unless you’re a 60kg xc pro... You can play with many factors to get a more spacious cockpit. Longer stem, offset seat post, wider bars, would all help. But get it fitted toYOU.

The advise is just that, advise from someone in the store who sees far more customers on bikes and also outfits more customers than the average bikehubber. Outfitting a bike is a two way street. Store and client, bikefitter and client. It starts in the shop and is only improved through feedback. Contrary to popuar belief there is no perfect bike fit. The body adapts to many discomforts.

There is an ideal starting point of course but the body can handle a lot of deviation around that

But none of that changes the accuracy of what I wrote, viz. the intention or absence of intention behind advice doesn't change the outcome for the customer. And it doesn't matter whether the advice was good or bad, the principle remains true.

My personal experience has been that while almost invariably I have thought the advice I received in bike shops to be given in good faith, I have not equally frequently found it to be correct.

Edited by MudLark

Sorry Bru but you look like a circus act on that thing. It looks way too small to me!

Agreed

You can debate till the cows come home but the bike is too small.

I'm always amused that 'bike fitting' discussions end up with get 'professional' setup advice ... IMHO not really rocket science to get a base setup but I guess there's money to be made [emoji57]

Edited by NotSoBigBen

I'm always amused that 'bike fitting' discussions end up with get 'professional' setup advice ... IMHO not really rocket science to get a base setup but I guess there's money to be made [emoji57]

I USED to have the same centiment ...

After two bike-fits at well known shops I paid for a professional bike fit .... Let's just say I have changed my opinion on this topic .....

MAYBE I was just unlucky with both bike shops ... using "rule-of-thumb" settings, ie horizontal seat, ignoring seat size, etc etc ...  But when you experience a real bike fitter taking 30 minutes just to figure out YOUR "setup" (medical history, flexibility, etc) before even looking at the bike, and then methodically going about checking and adjusting the settings to get you and your bike to fit optimally .... well, let's just say I have a new found respect for those that KNOW how to do a proper setup.  Well worth noting that the professional bike fitters include follow up checkups and adjustments ....

And this from somebody that only a year ago shared your opinion on this topic ...