947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Yes, there are a number of sets of mats at the start. Two that are important.

1. Within Makro as a check that you entered via Makro

2. At the start line to confirm which group you actually started in.

3. At Erling road. This is different to some other races, the clock starts as the first rider within a group crosses the mat on Erling. So the neutral is not part of your time.

i.e. to gain a few extra seconds make sure you are at the front of the group when crossing these mats.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i.e. to gain a few extra seconds make sure you are at the front of the group when crossing these mats.

Everyone in that group is give the same start time if I remember correctly.........

Registration done and dusted in 21 mins from time I turned into the Dome parking area and exiting back on to Northumberland.

Pro tip: If you want to avoid having to go all the way through the Expo, follow the arrows to Queries. There is an exit there.

Everyone in that group is give the same start time if I remember correctly.........

correct, however if you're at the back of the group, your ACTUAL start time will then be a little later than the first guy in the group crossing the mat.

Some groups have a good few hundred people in them, so you could easily loose a minute or 2.

correct, however if you're at the back of the group, your ACTUAL start time will then be a little later than the first guy in the group crossing the mat.

Some groups have a good few hundred people in them, so you could easily loose a minute or 2.

quite right, I read somewhere that there is about 680people in the first few open seeded groups.

Must one go to number collection with a bike rack? Asking for a friend

yes, and remember to have your bike with too. It shows you are a true cyclist not just a weekend warrior.

Also only took me 30 mins for collection, 5 mins tops for the number and 25 mins wandering around the expo.  Got there at 11:45am.  not too busy and there were plenty of staff assisting with the number collection.  Felt the expo was a bit better this year.

The only time that matters is the one when you go over the finish line....

The only time that matters is the one when you go over the finish line....

but if you start your garmin/wahoo/whatever when YOU cross the start mat it could give you a false idea that you have a few minutes extra, it could mean the difference between pushing that little for a sub 4 vs thinking you have time and then the official result puts you at 4:01:23

The first mat verifies which group you’ve started in, and isn’t used as the start time. The start time is the gun time. This is standard for most events timed by Racetec.

For 947, I was in VD last year, and the group wasn’t that big that there was a 2:20 difference between gun time and mat time.

but if you start your garmin/wahoo/whatever when YOU cross the start mat it could give you a false idea that you have a few minutes extra, it could mean the difference between pushing that little for a sub 4 vs thinking you have time and then the official result puts you at 4:01:23

Valid point. So to be on the safe side, start your garmin on the gun and ride to get that sub-# time, and you will actually definitely have a better official time than your garmin shows...

I was wondering if anyone knows how spectators / supporters should approach the event - for example if my wife wants to find 1 or 2 places where she could easily get to and easily spot me and even perhaps pass me a nice ice cold bottle?   Where would 2 ideal places be and will access be easy difficult?

Find my friends on IOS works like a charm here , spectators know where you are and when you are coming up to them.

1) Witkoppen , near the buzz centre and walk in a bit - early so good photo op ;-) 

2) Woodmead is accessible or a few place on M1 - a friendly face here is a great lift 

Good ride :thumbup:

Parking was as per normal - I show my Virgin Active card and the car guards let me in at the Virgin parking.

I collected 12 numbers, of which 6 were delivered unless than a minute - while the others took more than 20 minutes. Had to do a reseeding for a tandem, and prove that they used the wrong event/time. No payment for the reseed, as the combined time for both was below the qualifying time to get into the group.

The expo was okay - currently not in the market for much, so no need to browse much.

Oakley lost out on sales, as there wasn’t anyone at the stand when I got there. I needed replacement rubber parts for my current pair (nose/bridge as well as on the arms). I usually buy two of each, so that if I lose one nose piece of it perishes, like the arm covers, then I have the spare available.

Paid for three pairs of Versus socks, 2 for me, and 2 for my girls (the 4th pair was free).