947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Can someone with allot of time and knowledge of all the past routes, make maps of all the routes that the race has followed over the 23 editions?

If someone beats me to it, great. If not, I’ll try get around to it. I have everything from 2009 in electronic format. Doing 2002 onwards will be easy as I’ve done them all, but 1997-2001 I’ll need some help.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise words.

It doesn’t have to be a race every time, and with the addition of the shorter distance, there is now more of an option for those that feel 90-odd Km is too far given the elevation.

I’ve said never again once before, but that was my own doing. I never got on the bike between one year and the next, yet I expected myself to do better based on previous experience. When I wasn’t racing/riding much (just after the kids arrived), riding the event was more fun than racing it, as I’d stop for coffee along the way, or towed a trailer with beers, or purely rode the distance slower. My point is that it’s the only event with FULL road closure in Gauteng, including riding on a super smooth highway - make the most of the day and enjoy it.

The cramps slowed me down at the end - will definitely have to get something to assist me and reduce the cramps.   All my longer solo workout rides of approximately 100km's usually only include about 1000m of climbing, but the extra few hundred meters of the 947 pushed me above my usual more familiar levels  :blush:

Hydrate more than usual the day before and the morning of.  Also as said, salt tablets.

If someone beats me to it, great. If not, I’ll try get around to it. I have everything from 2009 in electronic format. Doing 2002 onwards will be easy as I’ve done them all, but 1997-2001 I’ll need some help.

let me see what I can dig out, pretty sure ill have '98, '99, 2000. But they're deep in archive so may take me some time.

Speak to Keith, he's done like 20 of them.

Maybe he has some info for you

Mentioned it before but will repeat it again.

Years back there used to be a road race in Edenvale sponsored by coco cola. I found myself in B group front bunch when we caught and as we were passing the Elite women some guy mentioned them been caught by boep pens amateurs, this obviously struck a nerve with them as next thing we saw was a blur as they sped away leaving us to eat their dust.

I think what many dont get is that the ladies group is its own race. They are racing and attacking eachother with all the tactics and cat&mouse stuff that it takes. They dont give a sh!t about being caught by other groups.

At times they will do the catching as their race ebbs and flows.

For those catching the ladies race, give them space to do their thing and get past as quick as possible.

same for any group actually, each group is its own race.

When dropped riders join passing groups, there is nothing more annoying than their interference if they just slot into any gap instead of waiting for the back of the group, and riding there.

I think what many dont get is that the ladies group is its own race. They are racing and attacking eachother with all the tactics and cat&mouse stuff that it takes. They dont give a **** about being caught by other groups.

At times they will do the catching as their race ebbs and flows.

For those catching the ladies race, give them space to do their thing and get past as quick as possible.

same for any group actually, each group is its own race.

When dropped riders join passing groups, there is nothing more annoying than their interference if they just slot into any gap instead of waiting for the back of the group, and riding there.

Apart from the elites and vets, its just a fun ride/race for the rest of us, some people take it way too seriously.

There was some middle aged guy in the D group who rode like a real Ahole, literally pushed riders out of the pace line as he wanted to hold his spot... I was tempted to share a few words with him but thought wth, just let it go as its not worth it.

Nah, Ill go again.

Not often you get to ride JHB car free; even the predawn starts of the E2E still leave you worrying about buses and traffic.

Although the first half is tough if you do enough tempo work and a good measure of vo2max and threshold intervals, get you weight as low as possible, and stay healthy, if you can hold on for the first half, then its game on down the motorway, not to mention Summit road and the 90km/h+ last down hill

all fun

I have the same problem, I also say never again. But I don't believe that I will be lining up in 2020  :eek:. It is like what Max says. To me the amount of climbing is a little excessive - I know the average for Gauteng is 100m of climbing for every 10km and this is after all a race that needs to be harder than the average. 

But, with that being said: If you want to have a lot of climbing and make it challenging then also ensure that there's a balance - some longer recovery sections. I told a friend after the race that on the race I felt like I was only going at two speeds: Moer fast & Moer slow. The wind on the highway did not help either

much appreciated

Can someone with allot of time and knowledge of all the past routes, make maps of all the routes that the race has followed over the 23 editions? 

Doubt you will be able to find that - Garmin and GPS etc. on every bike was not possible back in the day. One was lucky if you had a POLAR (with heart rate monitor)

Garmin in 1989 in Lenexa, Kansas, as "ProNav". ProNav's first product was a GPS unit which sold for US$2,500.

Doubt you will be able to find that - Garmin and GPS etc. on every bike was not possible back in the day. One was lucky if you had a POLAR (with heart rate monitor)

Garmin in 1989 in Lenexa, Kansas, as "ProNav". ProNav's first product was a GPS unit which sold for US$2,500.

Doesn't need to be a recorded file. Guys that remember a certain route can just plot it in strava or Garmin connect.

Edited by JA-Q001

We can maybe make it a sticky post or a new topic, then we can add the changes each year, nice way of keeping record.

What struck me was the Townhouses somewhere on the Route in JHB 4.5-13 mill, must be very exclusive.

I saw that... think the same place had rentals for R30k PM  :eek:

Thanks but no thanks 

The story I heard was that the land was given to a muslim group (I stand under correction so please dont flame me) by one of the early presidents of SA. They are allowed to develop the land but are never allowed to sell it.

It could be completely wrong, I'm just relaying hearsay, but it explains the 99 year lease story.