• Elite Woman (top 6)
  • Vet Woman (top 3)
  • Tandems (men & mixed)

58Km

• U17 Boys (top 3);
  • U17 Girls (top 3);
  • U15 Boys (top 3);
  • U15 Girls (top 3);
  • U11-13 Boys/Girls (dependant on numbers).

There will be lucky draw prizes in every start group, as well as random spot prizes on the day.

There are also two Strava segments that you can compete for prizes.

Go to Event Page

post-1372-0-82832600-1567714507_thumb.png

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an e-bike category, in the 58Km event only. As this distance isn't a seeding event, it makes it easier to let them be.

So no more prize money for tandems?

No prize money, but rather a chance for everyone to win a lucky prize. 

No prize money, but rather a chance for everyone to win a lucky prize. 

Well that is a fail.

Guess I will rather keep my entry fee for that other East Rand 100 race and rather go for a run on this day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that is a fail.

Guess I will rather keep my entry fee for that other East Rand 100 race and rather go for a run on this day.

Agree - FAIL, has always been a very competitive tandem race.

Well that is a fail.

Nah.............rather take ALL the podium prize money away and do something good with it.

Develop cycling or push it into the Athletes that does it for a living.  

The Vets / Tandems etc competes only for bragging rights and the R100 prize money can be used much better in my opinion.

Give them a podium so the bragging can be photographed.  Sure.

Prize money not so much a problem I think.

Just a Friday thought..............

Nah.............rather take ALL the podium prize money away and do something good with it.

Develop cycling or push it into the Athletes that does it for a living.

The Vets / Tandems etc competes only for bragging rights and the R100 prize money can be used much better in my opinion.

Give them a podium so the bragging can be photographed. Sure.

Prize money not so much a problem I think.

Just a Friday thought..............

Your last bit is what will happen - prize money is for licensed categories only, as per the rules of CyclingSA.

The tandem category can still be competitive, but without prize money as reward. The same with AL... podiums but no prize money.

There are other spot prizes, one of which I’m sure will be won by a tandem... Something to do with Strava segments - and no, it’s not only on the uphills.

This is an event for all, and not only for the elite few.

Edit (2019/09/16): before reading this, and moving on... the tandems will be getting prize money. There is a new post further down confirming this.

Edited by Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

Strava Segments have been created, but are still private, which means that every person with a device capable of recording to Strava will be in with a chance to win prizes for “the fastest” times on the segments.

Unlike another race, where we got the idea from, this isn’t just limited to the quickest time by one man and one woman (on an uphill). We will also be awarding prizes to various categories, eg. tandems, age groups, gender, paracyclists, and even the e-bike specific start group.

Make sure your ride is uploaded to Strava BEFORE prize giving, and that you are also present to claim your prize.

Giving back the masses, not only the racing folk.

Your last bit is what will happen - prize money is for licensed categories only, as per the rules of CyclingSA.

The tandem category can still be competitive, but without prize money as reward. The same with AL... podiums but no prize money.

There are other spot prizes, one of which I’m sure will be won by a tandem... Something to do with Strava segments - and no, it’s not only on the uphills.

This is an event for all, and not only for the elite few.

So the fatties like myself will have a chance. 

I would rather do this race than 947.

So the fatties like myself will have a chance. 

I would rather do this race than 947.

but it means you have to be on Strava  :cursing:

but a mate convinced me the other day that I should upload my rides to Strava for record keeping purposes. I then realised that for some reason I registered on Strava in 2013 but never used it

but it means you have to be on Strava  :cursing:

but a mate convinced me the other day that I should upload my rides to Strava for record keeping purposes. I then realised that for some reason I registered on Strava in 2013 but never used it

Love it or hate it, strava is cool.

Unlike another race, where we got the idea from, this isn’t just limited to the quickest time by one man and one woman (on an uphill). We will also be awarding prizes to various categories, eg. tandems, age groups, gender, paracyclists, and even the e-bike specific start group.

Make sure your ride is uploaded to Strava BEFORE prize giving, and that you are also present to claim your prize.

Giving back the masses, not only the racing folk.

Weight based category ?  :ph34r: