Moving to Port Elizabeth / PE

ACM

Hi hubbers

I might get an opportunity to move from Centurion to PE. Family of 4 (wife, son 16, daughter 14). Interested to here opinions from people with families that have moved from Gauteng to PE. Cost of living. Quality of schools. Quality of life. Etc.

Not so much interested in the cycling angle; I am familiar with cycle down at Crossways, etc. More interested in general living in PE (vs Gauteng).

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastern Cape Schools are great. Grey PE, Framesby, Kingswood and St Andrews an hour away. Saasveld just there.... 

Despite the wind and the unprettiness of PE, it is not the worst place to live.

Top class surf spots from Plett to J-Bay, In land you have the Baviaans area and koue bokkeveld. Addo round the corner.

Cost of living is WAY lower than the big cities and half as much as Cape Town.

Did I mention the surfing?

A friend moved over to PE from Gauteng 2 years ago and he loves it, he has 3 kids. He says quality of life is very good and not much traffic and more time to spend with family and outdoors. I didn’t ask much about cost of living but I guess it would be less as much less traveling to work and back etc. take family down on a holiday and check how things are

Live, ride and Love PE (born EL via London 11yrs). Not stacked for stuff to do for kids indoors but loads of outdoor things for the family to do. And lower chance of being shot or hijacked as an added bonus just saying. And the traffic don't even get me started on that, work in 15mins nightmare ????

Edited by Joaquim Carneiro

My manager moved from JHB to PE about 3 years ago with his wife and 4 kids.

He says he wouldnt go back for anything, loves the quality of life. 

Property is also stupidly cheap in PE, especially compared to EL!

Anything on the general coastal side of a mountain range in SA is better than up north imo. That rat race will kill you if you live there for 50y i'm convinced. Speaking as an ex GP'er that moved to CT. i'll never move back...ill move sideways maybe...or even out before I move back.

The closest guarded secret in South Africa my friend!

The saying goes .....you cry for 5 months because you

were transferred to P.E.......... you cry for 5 years when

they transfer you from PE to somewhere else!

Good luck.

Edited by olffie1

PE is great, but there are speed bumps on every road imaginable!

Oh, and the people suck!

Just kidding about the people! We have family and more friends in PE than we almost have in Joey's. Says a lot.

Friend of mine moved to Colleen Glen and loves it. Very cool area if you like a more rural environment

things to consider if it were me:

it WILL be a very big change of pace. They only relatively recently got Uber for instance lol. retail and hospitality...it is not CT but it is also not GP. There will be less choice.

Your kids age is a consideration imo, are they going to uni after school? What are their interests? Though PE is a functioning city obviously, it is a lot smaller than what you are used to and lacks behind in many of the professional careers when it comes to available work etc. (like for like comparison between ourselves and friends in same industry who have been living there since varsity days)

As already mentioned...you will get alot more for your Ronds there....everything from uber to buying a house (why said friends are reluctant tomove to CT - they wouldnt be able to sustain their lifestyle). So mostly cheaper....except traveling by air.

The plane ticket form PE to CT is stupid expensive. (Supply and demand). It is literally cheaper to drive it....or fly to jhb (but why would you ever want to go there again lol)

Edited by morneS555

Barneys at Hobie Beach for afternoon ales!

I spent 6 years in PE in my student daze. Been back a few times since for work. I'd move back in flash if the work that pays my bills was there.

Great quality of life and easy living.

Ya.. the wind, but you get used to it, and when it doesnt blow and the bay is calm and the sun shines its a pretty cool spot that is hard to beat.

Some great places around to check out and a hop skip and a jump to my other favorite place in SA - The Garden Route!