Ordered my next (bargain) bike - GP300

Ashchest

Couch pics please.

So I took her out for a quick 36 km ride to get a feel  :thumbup:     And ......Awesome!  

The bike responds so well and felt very good overall and especially when cornering.   I pumped the X-plor tyres to 75 Psi front and back, but think I will drop it a bit to 65 and see how it feels on the next ride tomorrow as it was a bit bumpy on some of the rocky gravel sections and some speed bumps.

The Sram Double Tap and 1 x 11 works so smooth and easy and I am very glad that there is only 1 x chainring in the front.    The Mechanical Tektro Spyre brakes are more than sufficient.  I will increase saddle height by 1 cm and perhaps take the handlebar down a notch.

IMG_20190815_161850-992x744.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Sunday I did my "last Sunday morning 75km road loop" with my dual suspension MTB and I thanked her for the "Road / Gravel" service she gave me, and I also promised that moving forward I will only ride her on proper trails where she was meant to be used.

This morning I took my new GP300 ride on the same loop for a proper feel on the longer ride.  It was a bit windy, but to my surprise I took a full 21 minutes off my previous MTB time with an average speed increase of about 1,4 km / hr.

MTB time was 3hr 22min and GP300 time was 3hr 01min.

I also felt much more comfortable during the entire time and by the end of the ride I felt that I could easily go further and was tempted to ride another 20 km - but decided to rather stop so that I can have a proper comparison on the exact same route.  (I will push it another 20-30km further on next Sunday  :w00t: )

I have forgotten how much work the front and rear suspension on a MTB actually do, although I have ridden it locked out, but the rigid frame on the GP300 does require much more rider input to help deal with the unevenness of some off road / gravel sections -  more on the front than on the rear -  But this is something I have to get used to - or maybe look at a Lauf or Redshift front system in the future to help with more comfort for my hands and arms?

The X-Plor tyres that comes stock with GP300 are very grippy and corners extremely well, But they are not the TL versions.  The Weinmann rims are Tubeless Ready rims, so I will probably have to buy TL tyres if I want to go Tubeless and run lower pressures for more comfort.    I have dropped the pressure from 75Psi to about 60 and although it did provide a bit softer ride, I know that the ability to go down to around 40 will make it even softer.    I will try to drop the X-plor pressures a bit more, perhaps to 50 psi?   But don't want to go too low because the specification on them says min pressure of 55Psi ??

Overall, I am extremely impressed and so happy with the new GP300 ride - it is a whole different experience and it is so nice!  I feel like I am flying even though there is a lot for me to get used to with the new geometry, drop bars, rigidness and all -  but it is awesome!!!   :clap:

So I took her out for a quick 36 km ride to get a feel  :thumbup:     And ......Awesome!  

The bike responds so well and felt very good overall and especially when cornering.   I pumped the X-plor tyres to 75 Psi front and back, but think I will drop it a bit to 65 and see how it feels on the next ride tomorrow as it was a bit bumpy on some of the rocky gravel sections and some speed bumps.

The Sram Double Tap and 1 x 11 works so smooth and easy and I am very glad that there is only 1 x chainring in the front.    The Mechanical Tektro Spyre brakes are more than sufficient.  I will increase saddle height by 1 cm and perhaps take the handlebar down a notch.

Lekker pic. Thanks for sharing. Try rotating the bars forward to get the tops and brake hoods level. Or don't. I find it puts my hands in a more neutral position and is comfier. 

Lekker pic. Thanks for sharing. Try rotating the bars forward to get the tops and brake hoods level. Or don't. I find it puts my hands in a more neutral position and is comfier. 

Thanks, I actually did that since the pic was taken and it is better.   

Great, otherwise you may not have been able to grab the brakes in the drops.

:thumbup: 

I also adjusted the reach of the brakes and shifter.    It has been a very very long time since I rode with drop bars.

Quite an interesting solution mentioned by the OP:

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

Anyone with some experience with these?

Yip. Have one on my gravel bike. I also use that bike for road touring. And I like the stem.

Noticeable dampening of road noise and improved resistance to road fatigue. On gravel, if I ride on the tops on anything apart from corrugations, then my saddle tells me more about the road condition than my hands. A good thing? But on corrugations I still get the stuffing knocked out of me at both ends. I do have quite stiff inserts in the stem so maybe I could soften things up more but I tried that and didn't like the feeling of the bars moving too much when I rode out the saddle. 

As I said, I like it. And on multi-day tours I am noticeably less fatigued in the arms, shoulders and neck.

So Sunday I rode with the pressure at 65 Psi but the ride was still very rigid and bumpy.  Yesterday and today I rode at 45 Psi front and  50 Psi back and it is perfect!  They still roll nicely and fast, but the 50 Psi gives it a very nice plushness and I do not see any chance of pinched flats or other problems at this pressure. 

I assume the 55 Psi low rating on the tires are for bigger people and that my 78 kg weight could probably allow for lower pressures  (with tubes)

So I took her out for a quick 36 km ride to get a feel :thumbup: And ......Awesome!

The bike responds so well and felt very good overall and especially when cornering. I pumped the X-plor tyres to 75 Psi front and back, but think I will drop it a bit to 65 and see how it feels on the next ride tomorrow as it was a bit bumpy on some of the rocky gravel sections and some speed bumps.

The Sram Double Tap and 1 x 11 works so smooth and easy and I am very glad that there is only 1 x chainring in the front. The Mechanical Tektro Spyre brakes are more than sufficient. I will increase saddle height by 1 cm and perhaps take the handlebar down a notch.

Lovely bike that. Great colour as well.

I would definitely rotate those shifters down though. That angle just looks weird and out of place to me.

So on Thursday I picked up a ShockStop suspension stem as an addition to my Gravel bike and to smooth out some of the bumps and make for a more comfortable ride when going for some adventure "go anywhere" rides.

I replaced the stock elastomers for the next level up that is recommended for my weight when I installed the unit.  After installation the first natural step was to press down on the handlebars to feel the effect - my immediate thought was that it felt like my MTB front FOX fork when locked out - giving that short stiff travel on a locked out FOX to still take the edge off minor bumps.

Yesterday I took my GP300 out for a 35 km ride - when I got onto my bike to ride out on the brick driveway ,things immediately felt different - then I remembered the ShockStem.  The stem works very well and it makes the ride very smooth on tar roads - but it is when you hit Gravel at high speeds when the real effect is felt - it does what it says and it is good!   I am glad I made the investment.

The Stem does not remove the large bumps, but it does take the edge off them.   I will test the different available elastomers and on a next ride test the lower options that should give even more suspension than what I currently have on - I think the next lower option will work perfect for me because I felt nothing strange or any compromise when riding even when riding out of the saddle.

During my ride I definitely felt more confidence to hop off and onto the side of the road "MTB style"  to side-step normal traffic and take shortcuts  :thumbup:

Shockstop%201.jpeg

Shockstop%202.jpeg

Edited by Ashchest

• 1 month later...

I now reached 1000 km's on my GP 300 and it has been great!  I cannot fault the bike or components and just love riding it!   The Sram 1 x 11 is awesome.  The Tektro Spyre Mechanical brakes works very well and I feel no desire to have hydraulics in it's place.  

The only "upgrade" I foresee is to put some Tubeless tyres on it but will probably ride another 1 or 2 000 km's before doing so.   It was a learning curve to ride with tubes again after so many years and I did get some punctures, but have learned how to prevent them for now.

I have been playing around with the setup by making minor tweaks and then taking it out for long rides to test and feel and I think I am now close to a near perfect setup and only have a few more adjustments that I want to play with - amazing how much difference 1cm this or that way can make.

I am going to Magalies tomorrow for the weekend to go camping and look forward to explore some of the Gravel roads in the region.

So 100% happy with this purchase and what a bargain!!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I now reached 1000 km's on my GP 300 and it has been great!  I cannot fault the bike or components and just love riding it!   The Sram 1 x 11 is awesome.  The Tektro Spyre Mechanical brakes works very well and I feel no desire to have hydraulics in it's place.  

The only "upgrade" I foresee is to put some Tubeless tyres on it but will probably ride another 1 or 2 000 km's before doing so.   It was a learning curve to ride with tubes again after so many years and I did get some punctures, but have learned how to prevent them for now.

I have been playing around with the setup by making minor tweaks and then taking it out for long rides to test and feel and I think I am now close to a near perfect setup and only have a few more adjustments that I want to play with - amazing how much difference 1cm this or that way can make.

I am going to Magalies tomorrow for the weekend to go camping and look forward to explore some of the Gravel roads in the region.

So 100% happy with this purchase and what a bargain!!   :thumbup:  :thumbup:

awesome to read this - would love to see a pic of the bike with the ShockStop stem fitted etc.

Last night I told my wife about me looking at this bike seriously, the answer I got "I think we might rather be looking at a divorce." [emoji848][emoji2955][emoji3166]

Last night I told my wife about me looking at this bike seriously, the answer I got "I think we might rather be looking at a divorce." [emoji848][emoji2955][emoji3166]

wanted to comment .... :whistling: 

does she read the Hub ?  :P