Mullet Bikes - Post you Bike

Eddy Gordo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I ride a 650b Slakline converted to 160mm 29" front vs standard 170mm 650B front

Front is still 20mm higher due to bigger wheel. 

Ride 2.4 Maxxis in front and 2.6 Maxxis in rear. 

Works for me, though if bike was standard full 29er I would have stuck with that. 

It does make BB higher than I want and seat angle more slack and reach shorter, which is not great for climbing. But the feel of the 29er front gives me confidence. You do have to ride it more from the front though, head angle is measured as just less than 64deg. 

I did test ride it in this specific configuration before I bought it, may not work with very bike, especially of seat angle is already slack and reach short. But the standard Slakline had decently steep seat angle and sufficient reach. 

So anyone here riding 29" upfront and 27.5" at the back?

Does 27.5" and 26 qualify?

https://youtu.be/fokcaedztic

Don't know if this counts?

This is my B26er trail bike

I had some spare parts lying around.An old 26er fox fork that i just cleaned the seals,fresh oil bath etc

Fits the 650b wheel and hans dampf 2.35 tyre perfectly with good clearance

A noticable improvement.Its as if this bike was meant to be set up like this.

Rails turns destroys downs(atleast where i ride)

Even with the 130mm fork and wheel combo sitting 8mm lower in front than the 26wheel and 150mm original forks. The bike doesnt feel unbalanced front to back.

Have been cleaning a local tech climb with relative ease since converting.

Long story short...not going back to 26f 26r

post-27873-0-84646600-1568742788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Louis for real

• 11 months later...

I know it is an old post, but I am putting together a Giant Trance 27.5 with a Fox Float 29 130mm I have lying around.

This should keep the geo similar to 27.5 @150mm. I will measure the end result to confirm.

I should have pictures and measurements by the weekend. My plan is to build a fun bike to play around with. Should be interesting to see how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done.

Specs so far, Giant trance Advanced 0 with xx1 1x11, Fox 130mm up front.

I currently have a wtb weirwolf on the front, will swap it out to a maxxis aggressor or similar soon.

Will run this for the first time this weekend, Im excited!

post-47486-0-55858200-1600166037_thumb.jpeg

I know it is an old post, but I am putting together a Giant Trance 27.5 with a Fox Float 29 130mm I have lying around.

This should keep the geo similar to 27.5 @150mm. I will measure the end result to confirm.

I should have pictures and measurements by the weekend. My plan is to build a fun bike to play around with. Should be interesting to see how it works.

• 4 months later...

I was riding a section of trail yesterday with some nice speedy twisty turns and was thinking that a slightly smaller rear wheel would flick around easier in those kind of corners. Would like to try a mullet and see how it rides.

I was riding a section of trail yesterday with some nice speedy twisty turns and was thinking that a slightly smaller rear wheel would flick around easier in those kind of corners. Would like to try a mullet and see how it rides.

Only now picked up this thread. Silverback makes the Splash 279 . Ladies specific frame with 29 in front and 27.5 at the rear . Theory is the rider has all the advantages of 29 in front and smaller rear wheel makes it easy for a not so strong lady rider to get going . I sold a few of them and the ladies love them 

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

Lots of details on geo and a ride review.

In short:

Pros: Better cornering (especially tighter corners), better roll over.

Cons: Worse climbing, worse bunny hops.

It would have been better to use a 20mm shorter 29er fork, but then the front travel would have been less than the rear.

I think we'll see more manufacturers release mixed wheel bikes that are designed to run like this instead of conversions that aren't quite ideal.

I think Most guys riding Mullets do it for the fun. Not everyone is a super X country "need all the Geo i can get" rider . :thumbup:

Mullets are cool and they look much better than those skinny 8kg XC machines. Who cares about Geo if you not competing on national / international levels... :clap:

• 10 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 6:33 PM, RomP said:

I think Most guys riding Mullets do it for the fun. Not everyone is a super X country "need all the Geo i can get" rider . :thumbup:

Mullets are cool and they look much better than those skinny 8kg XC machines. Who cares about Geo if you not competing on national / international levels... :clap:

Exactly.

My bike was originally a narrow bar, long stem, 80mm travel, XC 26er.

Now it is a wide bar, short stem, 140mm travel, 650b+ front and 650b rear bike for the mentally unstable. Suits me perfectly.