How apartheid killed Johannesburg's cycling culture

Simon Kolin

You call the Ghost busters.....

Funny you should say that the Ghostbusters vehicle was parked as I got off the tube this morning in Canary wharf. Cept it was not upside down.

post-58227-0-37707800-1565776866_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentioning Hitler or comparing apartheid to the Nazi’s is not Godwin’s law.

The law is about the degradation of the conversation to where forum users start calling other users nazis over a long enough time line.

From wiki:

"if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds"

From wiki:

"if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds"

Exactly.

The writer of the article probably work for Bell Portinger (or whomever now tries to cause nonsense across the racial lines) - People are lazy beings, fact! Just watch Wall-E if you want scientific proof  :w00t:

The bottom line is simple: People have less time due to the fast paced lifestyle and therefore opt for a faster mode of transport. It's the same reason why we're no longer using horse carts. 

This article actually supports my Wall-E scientific proof as well: https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/331389/heres-how-many-south-africans-are-overweight-according-to-discovery/?source=newsletter

The writer of the article probably work for Bell Portinger (or whomever now tries to cause nonsense across the racial lines) - People are lazy beings, fact! Just watch Wall-E if you want scientific proof  :w00t:

The bottom line is simple: People have less time due to the fast paced lifestyle and therefore opt for a faster mode of transport. It's the same reason why we're no longer using horse carts. 

This article actually supports my Wall-E scientific proof as well: https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/331389/heres-how-many-south-africans-are-overweight-according-to-discovery/?source=newsletter

And now that we realize what we've done... want the good ol days back

Thanks. 

Nee man, I wasn't agreeing with you, ai tog :)

When Mike Godwin created it in 1990, he was trying to address the issue of people simply comparing someone else to Hitler or Nazis to win an argument on forums, not for when there are actual and relevant comparisons being made. This is from the man himself.

Edited by Patchelicious

The writer of the article probably work for Bell Portinger (or whomever now tries to cause nonsense across the racial lines) - 

When you forcibly move people to live far outside the cities it becomes impractical to commute by bicycle. Don't see why this is so controversial or hard to understand? There are far worse things blamed on apartheid.

Read the article almost 2 months ago, thought it was at most mildly interesting - clearly underestimated the hub's ability to be offended or is it just a slow news day here?

When you forcibly move people to live far outside the cities it becomes impractical to commute by bicycle. Don't see why this is so controversial or hard to understand? There are far worse things blamed on apartheid.

Read the article almost 2 months ago, thought it was at most mildly interesting - clearly underestimated the hub's ability to be offended or is it just a slow news day here?

I think the audience is just gatvol of the continual blame apartheid syndrome. After a while it gets a lil stupid.

It’s a tenuous link between apartheid and demise of commuter cycling at best. The world over saw a reduction in cycling irrespective of race or location as other forms such as cars, buses, trains etc became more common. Recently in western countries there has probably been an increase in cycling imho.

But some will still try beat that old tired worn out drum

Weird article and I can’t really figure out what’s its trying to achieve.

I think commuting took a knock worldwide when cars started becoming more popular/cheaper and suburbs started popping up on the outskirts of cities. I think more people would commute if they had proper facilities (bike parking and showers) at work and they life close enough.

I think the audience is just gatvol of the continual blame apartheid syndrome. After a while it gets a lil stupid.

It’s a tenuous link between apartheid and demise of commuter cycling at best. The world over saw a reduction in cycling irrespective of race or location as other forms such as cars, buses, trains etc became more common. Recently in western countries there has probably been an increase in cycling imho.

But some will still try beat that old tired worn out drum

Did you read the whole article or just the headline? Maybe the headline was too sensationalist for this sensitive audience because the actual article gives a balanced history including covering the points you just wrote in your post

Postwar infrastructure investment enhanced motoring at the expense of alternatives, and Johannesburg undertook significant works: road widening, highway construction, underpasses, overpasses, bridges and off-street parking facilities. Roads became understood as corridors for moving motor vehicles.

While cycling also lost status across the western world from the 1950s, in South Africa a combination of economic growth, high levels of car ownership among white people and deep social divisions meant this process played out earlier, more rapidly and more intensely.

Nee man, I wasn't agreeing with you, ai tog :)

When Mike Godwin created it in 1990, he was trying to address the issue of people simply comparing someone else to Hitler or Nazis to win an argument on forums, not for when there are actual and relevant comparisons being made. This is from the man himself.

I know, I was just being facetious and trying to claim it. But having read more, I agree with you. The wiki definition (and so my understanding) was far too open to interpretation. 

Edited by NickGM

Did you read the whole article or just the headline? Maybe the headline was too sensationalist for this sensitive audience because the actual article gives a balanced history including covering the points you just wrote in your post

Postwar infrastructure investment enhanced motoring at the expense of alternatives, and Johannesburg undertook significant works: road widening, highway construction, underpasses, overpasses, bridges and off-street parking facilities. Roads became understood as corridors for moving motor vehicles.

While cycling also lost status across the western world from the 1950s, in South Africa a combination of economic growth, high levels of car ownership among white people and deep social divisions meant this process played out earlier, more rapidly and more intensely.

Sigh, I read it in its entirety.

Just so tired with the incessant blame apartheid brigade.

What next ?

How apartheid killed the cycling culture indeed. Did you even read the headline? And it did not strike you as odd or sensationalist?

Edited by IceCreamMan

Sigh, I read it in its entirety.

Just so tired with the incessant blame apartheid brigade.

What next ?

Animal Farm