2019 Amashova

Wannabe

Does anyone have any suggestions for training rides that we can do on the Saturday before the race in PMB? I don't know the area too well but I want to do a 20km - 40km ride (with my work team) to loosen up before the big Saturday race.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

07h33 start for me. 

Not bad, considering the shocker of a CTCT I had. 

Now if I can squeeze in under 03:30, I will be happy.

I am not there to push you along so you better pull your finger  ^_^

I have done the Shova 16 times. There is ALWAYS a wind. Mostly head, can't recall been blessed with a tail.

Just remember it's only pain and the hills are mental speedbumps. The first 25km makes the race, head down and go.

Sub 3 is fairly easy to do.

322 out of 4086 did a sub 3 last year. Or 8% of riders. Not that easy...

322 out of 4086 did a sub 3 last year. Or 8% of riders. Not that easy...

the wind was BRUTAL last year, so you cant really use that for stats.

Pevious 3 years had much better conditions. But as said, there is always wind especially coming into Durban.

the wind was BRUTAL last year, so you cant really use that for stats.

Pevious 3 years had much better conditions. But as said, there is always wind especially coming into Durban.

Yep I was riding last year - it sure was brutal! 

I am not there to push you along so you better pull your finger  ^_^

You normally came flying past me so quickly, there was no chance for a push.  :blush:

AL start for me, but I am still undecided as to where I’ll start, and how competitive I will be, given the 3 long days from Jozi2PMB.

What worked for me last year was starting in AL and hanging on relatively long but going at my own pace up the worst of the climbs. By the time BL caught me we were just about to hit those long descents, so I wasn't alone in that wind.

Im starting in AL - looking forward to some brutal attacks :/ lol

Thats going to be fun, but with your current form I'm sure you'll do well.

Thats going to be fun, but with your current form I'm sure you'll do well.

Training hard man, suffering lol, last year shova owned me at 88km (CRAMP CITY) i want revenge.

What worked for me last year was starting in AL and hanging on relatively long but going at my own pace up the worst of the climbs. By the time BL caught me we were just about to hit those long descents, so I wasn't alone in that wind.

I'm trying to choose whether to do as you here or just start with BL and stick with them. My first Shova this year, AL group.

Edited by MarvH

Sad I'm missing this race. Have a fun and safe ride everyone. Look out for the Germiston Wheelers, they're travelling down from Alberton starting next Thursday! 

Does anyone have any suggestions for training rides that we can do on the Saturday before the race in PMB? I don't know the area too well but I want to do a 20km - 40km ride (with my work team) to loosen up before the big Saturday race.

My only suggestion is heading out towards Howick, parking at Piggly and cycling up into the hills and back down, along the Midlands route. Nice views, all climbing heading out, but all downhill when you're coming home.

Then you can have a lovely brekkie at Piggly.