Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

1 hour ago, droo said:

Pedros tyre levers. Thank me later.

Also, possibly technique. Make sure the bead sits in the rim bed all the way round before you massage the last bit on.

Yeah, most likely technique :blush: I can get the tyres on and off by hand without a tube in. I probably didn't have the tube in the best position when I tried to install it.

I have these Crowbar tyre levers which look like they're a copy of the Pedros ones. The tip is thicker than a normal lever, which can make it difficult in some situations, although it may be better for not damaging things.

image.png.a805c8ced495cb4ef1ea7a5a23e0949a.png
I see there's a store that sells the Pedros levers locally. I wish they still sold other Pedros products here. I have some of their cleaning (degreasing) and Silicone Polish and they're excellent.

Edited by MrJacques

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MrJacques said:

Yeah, most likely technique :blush: I can get the tyres on and off by hand without a tube in. I probably didn't have the tube in the best position when I tried to install it.

I have these Crowbar tyre levers which are much stronger, but the lip is a quite thick, which can make it difficult in some situations, although it may be better for not damaging things. Looks like it's a copy of the Pedros ones.

image.png.a805c8ced495cb4ef1ea7a5a23e0949a.png
I see there's a store that sells the Pedros levers locally. I wish they still sold other Pedros products here. I have some of their cleaning (degreasing) and Silicone Polish and they're excellent.

Same same. And yes, Pedro's stuff is great. I have the last of the old stock in a box somewhere, I must actually catalogue and flog it.

Just now, droo said:

Same same. And yes, Pedro's stuff is great. I have the last of the old stock in a box somewhere, I must actually catalogue and flog it.

Nice, let me know if you find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have a contribution. Wheel my bike (Ginat eTrance) out at 5h15 or so for around an hour ride and the chain is off the front sprocket so I hurriedly fiddle about and, after a few impatient tries it is on but the gears are now slipping and/ or changing randomly. I get through the ride but put the bike on a stand and start inspecting. Chain is straight, no hard links. Ah, chain guide has lost some internals - pull that off for home made replacement.  Back cluster is dirty and a bit of play so pull that off for a good cleaning, including the free body. Jockey wheels packed with grass; pull them apart and re-grease.

Re-assemble; still erratic, more in some gears than others so re-check all the limit screws and adjustments. Still troubling.

Pull the chain and check it with a ruler or wear and straightness, all good. FINALLY, counting the links I spot one broken side plate on an internal link; must have been from my morning fiddling, amazed it held out. Shimano CN M6100.

Chain already has two quick links so I suspect a visit to the R1 000 shop for a new chain is the order of the day. BUT, whole day gone and a more careful chain inspection would have saved it.

Is 8100 "better" than the 6100?

21 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Ok, so I have a contribution. Wheel my bike (Ginat eTrance) out at 5h15 or so for around an hour ride and the chain is off the front sprocket so I hurriedly fiddle about and, after a few impatient tries it is on but the gears are now slipping and/ or changing randomly. I get through the ride but put the bike on a stand and start inspecting. Chain is straight, no hard links. Ah, chain guide has lost some internals - pull that off for home made replacement.  Back cluster is dirty and a bit of play so pull that off for a good cleaning, including the free body. Jockey wheels packed with grass; pull them apart and re-grease.

Re-assemble; still erratic, more in some gears than others so re-check all the limit screws and adjustments. Still troubling.

Pull the chain and check it with a ruler or wear and straightness, all good. FINALLY, counting the links I spot one broken side plate on an internal link; must have been from my morning fiddling, amazed it held out. Shimano CN M6100.

Chain already has two quick links so I suspect a visit to the R1 000 shop for a new chain is the order of the day. BUT, whole day gone and a more careful chain inspection would have saved it.

From what I've seen not much , xtr seems to be a step above.

But its not as incremental as sram xx1 bettwr than xo better than gx better than nx

Shimano seems meh up until xtr , atleast on chains themselves 

3 hours ago, mazambaan said:

My LBS swears by the KMC e-bike chains.

6 000 km on the Trance-E.

EDIT - With Shimano TRIPPLE check the number of links .... they love selling the slightly shorter chains.  TOO short for our bikes.

Edited by ChrisF

Sometimes, when your shifting is bad, it's not the cables, casings, worn chain/cassette, hanger alignment ....

It's just that your derailleur pivots need a bit of lube! (Next time will try that first). 

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

EDIT - With Shimano TRIPPLE check the number of links .... they love selling the slightly shorter chains.  TOO short for our bikes.

Less than stated on the box ? 

Usually they sell 116 but also have ebike versions with 138 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Mee Too KMC is the Best Chains 

No Need to buy the Expensive one (Standard is Fine) Same Steel Chain more Chrome.

I've Clocked 16K on a KMC X10 and Changed it because it was OLD Not Worn. 

Edited by dasilvarsa

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Usually they sell 116 but also have ebike versions with 138 

I got home with the 116 link box twice .... :ph34r:

Not really mechanic related.. 

but I’ve learnt that white wheels are not as cool as I thought they would be.. and painting your own wheels sucks big styles and should never be done..🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

What I am excited about is the 28mm tyres.. down from 32mm.. the increase in speed is going to be epic😉🤙🏻🤣.. I’ll be taking all fourways koms like it’s no one’s business.. 🥳🤘🏻

IMG_2121.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Not really mechanic related.. 

but I’ve learnt that white wheels are not as cool as I thought they would be.. and painting your own wheels sucks big styles and should never be done..🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

What I am excited about is the 28mm tyres.. down from 32mm.. the increase in speed is going to be epic😉🤙🏻🤣.. I’ll be taking all fourways koms like it’s no one’s business.. 🥳🤘🏻

IMG_2121.jpeg

and when you realise what a pain they are to clean it will become more apparent why it is not that common... But it does look good. Great for a bike you hang on the wall to look at though

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Thank you but I have just popped for a new XT chain, eish.  I would have done the KMC for sure as I have had them before.