Tokai Trails

jimmy hardtail

Popcorn time cos this has FRIDAY written all over it with added 'already had one thread deleted' on the side! 

Nah!

Have you found out who pulled the thread and why?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah!

Nope, just silence on that count. Probably as it was getting a bit spicy and had the potential of escalating. 

there was no quorum so there was no voting.

However the meeting went ahead and it was a positive step forward with a lot of positive energy and emense eeeeeeeer passion in the room!

The key positive is that there are 3 new committee members coming onboard and they will bring in new energy and resources (people behind them, money, expertise). I'm happy to say one of them is a woman. At last there's a move toward diversity.

Some good report back on the security front. Good sales pitch for TokaiMTB membership

That's the gist but lets not steal Deon's thunder.

Everyone left naked, holding hands, singing kumbaja lord kumbaja

No quorum, oh crap. Too few attending?

Now I feel bad, could have made alternative plans I guess.

If tokai is the winner at the end of the day, I'm happy.

Nah!

It wasn't just a thread it was the entire tokai sub-forum of threads.

Nope, just silence on that count. Probably as it was getting a bit spicy and had the potential of escalating. 

It was due to the unfounded accusations being glibly flung around. And there's a good potential that due to the toxicity being shown there and in numerous other threads, that TokaiMTB won't be on le Hub any longer. It's just not conducive to good discussion. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I couldn't help but notice that when you walked through the door you were holding no pie....

So sorry. Actually asked my mom to bake some.

But last night I was running late and completely forgot to pop in.

And my folks are literally footsteps away from my house. 

I'll bring some next time...

The way the constitution is currently written is that in order for a motion to poass, there needs to be a quorum. That in itself isn't a problem, but the requirement of a majority agreement is. Essentially there needs to be a 50% +1 person support for a plan to pass, but if only 66 of the 130 members pitch up to a meeting (66 being 50% plus 1) ALL of them need to vote yea in order for something to pass. If there are fewer than 50% +1 person present, there's not a quorum. This means there'll effectively NEVER be a 50% +1 representation, as you'll never get that number, and if you do, chances of getting 100% agreement for that thing won't happen. 

AFAIK it'll be changing to a 50% +1 of those present at a meeting, and a quorum to a set number. 

It was due to the unfounded accusations being glibly flung around. And there's a good potential that due to the toxicity being shown there and in numerous other threads, that TokaiMTB won't be on le Hub any longer. It's just not conducive to good discussion. 

i don't understand that bit of scorched earth approach: that effectively is saying that most of us who wants to engage with TokaiMTB via a public forum such as bikehub, cannot hold a reasonable contrarian view: we are all just rabid when comes to expressing disagreement and only quarrel and disagree for the sake of it. But that is not the case and why should the rest of us be judged on the behaviour of a few?

Deon and Co have displayed leadership. Part of it is engaging with those less inclined to take up similar mantles,and yes, sometimes or often having to deal with frustrated individuals. Disappearing off the hub is not the solution. Is disappearing from FB next? No responses to TokaiMTB email address after that?

So the new committee members (proposed) will bring a lot to the table, especially a step change upward in governance. That made me very happy to hear. Three guys running it is just not working effectively and they recognize this. There are more donors wanting to come on board but the governance has to be improved.

So all positive and I will renew and give it more time. No I didn’t make myself available as I have too much on my plate and adding more will strain family life to breaking point. As always my email and phone number has been available for advice when needed and it has been used. Not every contribution needs to be visible for bike hub approval

i don't understand that bit of scorched earth approach: that effectively is saying that most of us who wants to engage with TokaiMTB via a public forum such as bikehub, cannot hold a reasonable contrarian view: we are all just rabid when comes to expressing disagreement and only quarrel and disagree for the sake of it. But that is not the case and why should the rest of us be judged on the behaviour of a few?

Deon and Co have displayed leadership. Part of it is engaging with those less inclined to take up similar mantles,and yes, sometimes or often having to deal with frustrated individuals. Disappearing off the hub is not the solution. Is disappearing from FB next? No responses to TokaiMTB email address after that?

There was no scorched Earth approach. The reasons Deon gave me do not align with Fatbastards comment. He said it was pulled simply because it could lead to overly heated emotions arriving at the AGM. 

No unfounded accusations were flung in that thread yet questions were interpreted that way.

The financials as presented are suboptimal and this was acknowledged and will be improved.

No one accused anyone of wrong doing other than writing up financials that are not complete and severely lacking in detail. 

Clearly there was a lot of behind the scene's discussions that turned the heat up and emotions ran high hence the overreactions on bikehub.

Post Meeting there is a positive future if the governance structure and constitutional changes are effected and the communication improves there will be far more tempered emotions. 

I'm focussed on the future .

anyone who wants to remain stuck in the past feel free to do your thing

There was no scorched Earth approach. The reasons Deon gave me do not align with Fatbastards comment. He said it was pulled simply because it could lead to overly heated emotions arriving at the AGM. 

No unfounded accusations were flung in that thread yet questions were interpreted that way.

The financials as presented are suboptimal and this was acknowledged and will be improved.

No one accused anyone of wrong doing other than writing up financials that are not complete and severely lacking in detail. 

Clearly there was a lot of behind the scene's discussions that turned the heat up and emotions ran high hence the overreactions on bikehub.

Post Meeting there is a positive future if the governance structure and constitutional changes are effected and the communication improves there will be far more tempered emotions. 

I'm focussed on the future .

anyone who wants to remain stuck in the past feel free to do your thing

Why not both? There were accusations being flung around by a few people, but unfortunately proving that now that the thread is gone is not possible. As for the reason Deon provided, that's a definite reason for that thread to be pulled, but not the ONLY reason, especially when looking at the whole sub-forum being pulled. I was also chatting with Mark and Lionel pre-meeting, so that's where I got my info from. 

Agreed with everything else, though. The introduction of Lionel, Nicky & Alan will go a long way. 

I think the majority of us can, but there were a few that spoiled the pudding, so to speak. And those that spoil it can be rather vociferous... 

Other avenues (FB / Mail / Insta / website) are still there. 

So for us poor non members, where and when will you guys be letting us know the future plans? And can we please have another build day to finish what we started....

Build days will continue, as soon as the details have been posted elsewhere (or a follow-up post has been made) I'll share here. 

There are a couple things in the pipeline, that the cash injection will help with.

One thing is currently in teh public comment phase, and once that's approved (should be straightforward rubber stamping) then it'll be announced properly. 

Things that are going forward:

Reopening Rinkhals

Reopening My Roots

Reopening DH4

I think Donkey Trail is also going ahead ASAP.