Tokai Trails

jimmy hardtail

Last Sunday when I was on my way down the Roller Coaster (Broken Road), a group of about 20 Crysalis Academy peeps where hiking UP the trail. Full backpacks and camping gear. Got my heart rate going a little quicker than it already was.

Yes, that incident reminded me to post here. I also encountered them on the way down.

When I was there 2 or 3 weeks before, guys had ridden up.

I said to them as they got to the top that it wasn't really a good idea - they were a bit freaked out because they said that they hadn't been to Tokai for a while and had no idea what Broken Road had become. 

This made me think that there was no signage.

And I forgot to check when I got to the bottom.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We rode Broken Road down last Saturday - I checked for signage as the idea of colliding someone coming up the trail is not so lekker! There is no signage that I saw - think this must be addressed.

Like this???... :w00t:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-02-07 at 13.32.53.png

At that time...Mid Jan, there were no signs on the new trail, neither top nor bottom, also encountered a guy pedalling up.....maybe there are signs now?

Naa, didnt see it, just heard about it. Could be those same people. I did however come across a couple at the bottom who wanted to cycle up, on the first day it was open. I explained how fast it is coming down and that its not a good idea. Then they wanted to know how to get there, explained how, and off they went.

As for the signs, sunday afternoon, they were still empty

Not sure where to post this since the original Tokai thread is AWOL

Firstly, I haven't been there since May and am LOVING the updated trails. Kudos to the builders and sponsors

Secondly, Donkey Trail is crazy cool (but I still cant do those 1st three switchbacks)

Thirdly, people riding up the Roller Coaster (Broken Road) are going to cause havoc (if they haven't already). Is there signage discouraging that ?

Looks like officially Broken road is a "both directions" trail (if that is what you are referring to), where Donkey Trail is downhill specific only.

Have a look at Trailforks. Maybe confirm with Deon and co.

post-18173-0-72962200-1581102776_thumb.png

post-18173-0-49335400-1581102830_thumb.png

post-18173-0-99472600-1581102844_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

This is a relief!

(long may it last)

Because this had be nervous:

The City has decided to close the below City facilities from Wednesday, 18 March 2020. We will continuously assess the situation and will inform the public accordingly.

Facilities to close include:

• Art centres
  • Braai and picnic spots
  • Camping sites
  • City sports fields
  • Community halls/Civic centres
  • Swimming pools
  • Museums
  • Nature reserves
  • Recreational hubs
  • Resorts
  • Spray parks
  • Stadia

http://www.capetown.gov.za/Media-and-news/City%20to%20close%20facilities%20to%20contain%20spread%20of%20Covid-19%2c%20encourages%20use%20of%20online%20services%20where%20possible

This is a relief!

(long may it last)

Because this had be nervous:

The City has decided to close the below City facilities from Wednesday, 18 March 2020. We will continuously assess the situation and will inform the public accordingly.

Facilities to close include:

• Art centres
  • Braai and picnic spots
  • Camping sites
  • City sports fields
  • Community halls/Civic centres
  • Swimming pools
  • Museums
  • Nature reserves
  • Recreational hubs
  • Resorts
  • Spray parks
  • Stadia

http://www.capetown.gov.za/Media-and-news/City%20to%20close%20facilities%20to%20contain%20spread%20of%20Covid-19%2c%20encourages%20use%20of%20online%20services%20where%20possible

So does that mean Tokai is open or closed? I need to renew my pass, will head down to the office and find out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, we just moved down here from PTA, I went on one ride just before the lockdown, I would like to do a ride on the Saturday if the lockdown ends on the 16th, if anyone is going as i would like to get to know the trails, felt like i just rode on the fire main roads, I was trying to go up to the mast, i think i got to the bottom like mentioned above rollercoaster by the lines of the trail i knew that this is the trail coming down, i took a wrong turn left just past that and it took me down to the back of the houses at the bottom near the gate.

I would like to ride with more and get to know the trails.

Hope to hear from you guys

Regards Nico 0825288309

Hi everyone, we just moved down here from PTA, I went on one ride just before the lockdown, I would like to do a ride on the Saturday if the lockdown ends on the 16th, if anyone is going as i would like to get to know the trails, felt like i just rode on the fire main roads, I was trying to go up to the mast, i think i got to the bottom like mentioned above rollercoaster by the lines of the trail i knew that this is the trail coming down, i took a wrong turn left just past that and it took me down to the back of the houses at the bottom near the gate.

I would like to ride with more and get to know the trails.

Hope to hear from you guys

Regards Nico 0825288309

https://tokaimtb.co.za/trails/

gooi them some cash if you feel the trails are lekker, your entry fee passes on 0% to the actual trailbuilding

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so riding is back on and Tokai is in my 5km radius... does anyone know they will be opening up the mountain at all in level 4? 

Only one way to find out...let us know when you get back!

Might head up there tomorrow and ask. Have to go to Tokai pharmacy for some aspirin. Not sure there will be anyone there or at the manor to be honest. I also need to renew my permit.

My understanding is that most of the SanParks parks will still be closed. In that case so will Tokai.

I saw MTO say the same they remain closed at level 4

I doubt it. Beaches and Parks remain closed, so I would suggest the same goes for Lions Head, table mountain etc... 

Last thing we need is for a bunch of cyclists being bundled off the mountain in obvious breach of regulations. Another Nic Dlamini incident and all the accompanying outrage outrage and a ban on cycling.

I doubt it. Beaches and Parks remain closed, so I would suggest the same goes for Lions Head, table mountain etc... 

Last thing we need is for a bunch of cyclists being bundled off the mountain in obvious breach of regulations. Another Nic Dlamini incident and all the accompanying outrage outrage and a ban on cycling.

100%. Tokai is easy to manage as it's a case of asking and if it's no, then it's no. Places like Rhodes, Table Mountain and Lions head are a different matter. I've not seen anything that says what the 'cycling' part allows but people are already lining up their missions to Pats, Slab, waffle, slippery etc which is fair as it's in their 5km radius and it's cycling unless told other wise. The Glen is a mess after the fire so I think that isn't a conversation starter. 

I don't know what is and isn't hence the question in the first place but believe me I'm am guessing the Nek to Kirstenbosch and beyond is going to be packed from tomorrow morning beyond belief. I'd also put money on it that a big percentage will be straying outside their 5km during those walks, runs and rides let alone adhering to social distancing. Is that a San Parks route as well? So theoretically should be closed as well? 

100%. Tokai is easy to manage as it's a case of asking and if it's no, then it's no. Places like Rhodes, Table Mountain and Lions head are a different matter. I've not seen anything that says what the 'cycling' part allows but people are already lining up their missions to Pats, Slab, waffle, slippery etc which is fair as it's in their 5km radius and it's cycling unless told other wise. The Glen is a mess after the fire so I think that isn't a conversation starter. 

I don't know what is and isn't hence the question in the first place but believe me I'm am guessing the Nek to Kirstenbosch and beyond is going to be packed from tomorrow morning beyond belief. I'd also put money on it that a big percentage will be straying outside their 5km during those walks, runs and rides let alone adhering to social distancing. Is that a San Parks route as well? So theoretically should be closed as well? 

Well, technically the Mountain is a nature reserve run by TMNP and SANParks. If you need a permit to ride there, it's off limits.

That would include the Nek to Newlands loop, cork tree trail etc...

Definitely Pats track etc.

I doubt that people will adhere to the parks closure though, which is a pity as I can see it being a 'we told you so' point when they ban cycling because people couldn't adhere to the laws.

The beach is 300m from my front door.... It doesn't mean I can go surfing as the beaches are still closed.

I don't see this being any different and unless they open 'parks, not even up for discussion.

Well, technically the Mountain is a nature reserve run by TMNP and SANParks. If you need a permit to ride there, it's off limits.

That would include the Nek to Newlands loop, cork tree trail etc...

Definitely Pats track etc.

I doubt that people will adhere to the parks closure though, which is a pity as I can see it being a 'we told you so' point when they ban cycling because people couldn't adhere to the laws.

The beach is 300m from my front door.... It doesn't mean I can go surfing as the beaches are still closed.

I don't see this being any different and unless they open 'parks, not even up for discussion.

Makes a lot of sense but I have a feeling that the car park is going to be packed tomorrow with alot of peeps frothing for the mountain. Jeez, the beach must be torture. Just saw they opened up Bondi in Aus' with taped off lane for people to run down, surf and come back up. dropping in isn't social distancing so that would make a nice change there!