Midrange vs Expensive shoes

Zorro5614

Hi guys

Just a quick question regarding shoes and the effect they have on your cycling.  I am currently riding midrange shoes (R1800-R2000), Giro Savix (Road) and Giro Cylinder (MTB).  These shoes are very comfortable and there is now issues riding longer distances

Will one be able to feel a difference going to R4000+ shoes with very stiff carbon soles?  Are these soles going to make a noticeable difference to power transfer?  Will one notice stronger pedaling on a Spez shoe for carbon sole with a 13 rating on their index? 

Both my current shoes have Nylon injected soles 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can feel the difference on the road between carbon and Nylon injected soles, I am not sure how much it affects the power though. 

Go for which ever are comfortable. 

I picked up some great carbon sole shoes on the bikehub for the price of cheap shoes.

On the road the carbon shoes are stiffer and more comfortable but on mtb i cant feel the difference.

Yes will definitely be going for the BOA closure system.  So seems a stiffer sole will be better for road cycling and maybe gravel riding?

I use my old Giro shoes on the gravel grinder but missing my Shimano carbon S-phyres.

The minimal flex from the carbon just feels better especially out of the saddle when climbing.

They not easy/comfy to walk in... ;)

As mentioned above, the closing system also makes a big difference.

The BOA dials just makes the shoe "hug" around the shape of your feet much better that velcro.

Best bet, try them on before you buy

Yeah carbon soles are a big difference, as well as how the shoe holds its shape. Last little thing is the closure system, cheaper shoes normally just have velcro, but ratchets or boa dials are far superior and allow quicj adjustment as your foot changes over a ride.

Let’s not forget about laces as well. I have a set with boa’s which I love but I always just seem to go back to my laces pair. And they look better for me that is.

For road shoes carbon soles are great, nice and stiff, for mountainbike the "plastic" soles are much more comfy, specially if you have to walk some gradients, the carbon soles gives me knee pain on the rough mountainbike trials, too many direct hits on the knees. I have weak knees

Let’s not forget about laces as well. I have a set with boa’s which I love but I always just seem to go back to my laces pair. And they look better for me that is.

Will definitely be between BOA and laces

All the nice lace options seem to be Giro, but I also like the BOA options from Shimano and Specialized

I might have a bit of a shoe fetish.........little bit..........

Your more expensive shoes tend to be lighter and less "bulky" ie. on the top and cushioning.  

As with flex......as mentioned, a little bit difference can be felt on the road.

Maybe have a better look at the closure systems rather than the sole.  Love my boas and love the laces (both Giro)

Gotta be comfortable!! I has S Works MTB shoes and they just didn't work for me...never got comfortable.

"Down graded" to the Spez Expert XC shoe. Couldn't feel any difference in putting down power but they were a hell of a lot more comfortable.