Eish ... Need some advice

IcemanGP

Good morning everyone.
Firstly it was the Hubbers that got me riding again after a vehicle crushed the back wheel (Big Thank You to Everyone)
And it was a Hubber that graciously got me a ticket for the Juma (I ride this in memory of my son, so another Big Heartfelt Thank You)
So I have been training for this ride, and yesterday strip my baby down to get it all ready for Sunday, and come across this crack where the central pivot point fits for a bottom shock.
Now, I can no longer afford to keep paying for shipping costs (Frame is less than six months old) so I am going to attempt a repair using fibre tape and epoxy wrapped in a figure 8 around the 'wound' (see attached)
Can anyone else give me any more tips for this, I would be most grateful.
Regards
JD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree, don't do it, have it repaired professionally or replace.

I have no other option Dex ... I'm like in between a rock and a hard place. Off the bat repair is like 10 grand ... Heart failure.

I have no other option Dex ... I'm like in between a rock and a hard place. Off the bat repair is like 10 grand ... Heart failure.

Unfortunately 10 grand isn’t even going to cover the ambulance cost to the hospital “if” things go wrong.

While a “hack or bodge” might work, it’s just really not worth it. And I feel you already know you outside sensible parameters here or you would not have created this post. Are you really going to enjoy the ride having this in the back of your mind the whole time?

Hoping you find a good alternative solution. If not and you go ahead, hope your fix holds and you have a good ride.

Yeah I know your frame is 26inch, would be much cheaper and safer to replace the frame. 

insurance claim or get it repaired but id go the insurance route

One has to have an income of great value to enjoy the benefits of insurance ... I have neither.

Yeah I know your frame is 26inch, would be much cheaper and safer to replace the frame. 

If I had bucks yes, .... but I can't expect it. ... This is hard.

It wont be anywhere near as bad as that - find a pro locally and do a proper job - and check for other cracks too.

There are good carbon guys around - tell us where you are based and we will tell you who to talk to

It wont be anywhere near as bad as that - find a pro locally and do a proper job - and check for other cracks too.

There are good carbon guys around - tell us where you are based and we will tell you who to talk to

I'm based in Midrand.

I'm also pressed for time, I have a race on Sunday and this is my only baby.