Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

Hi all,

Every so often when browsing the Classifieds I catch sight of a bike selling for excess of R60K and was just wondering what the market is like for second hand bikes in this category?

Some times I feel like I must be getting really old when I catch my reaction to bikes selling for close on R 100 000 etc. 

Other than Pro and Cat A cyclists who else is buying these bikes and what are the performance gains for an average rider over say a 25 or 30 grand bike?

Just curious.

P

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is definitely a case of diminishing rewards the more you spend on a bike.

A lot of the time it is guys with enough money and a love for cycling who are happy to part with R100k to get what want. I don't think those bikes are purchased purely for the performance gains.

I don't think it's about performance gains. If you own a 30 bar house in Camps Bay and your daily driver is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Why would you ride a 30k Giant TCR?

In many instances I doubt it to be for performance gain, but rather a status symbol.

Like buying a Ferrari or Porsche.

People buy it because they can.

I can't.! :D

Thanks all,

I get that the bikes can be a status symbol (I even know some people who display their bikes on their lounge walls as a form of artwork).

One of my main musings I guess was how likely a sale of one of these bikes is second hand (i.e. a Spez Tarmac going at close to R60K) - which is a beautiful bike.

I don't think it's about performance gains. If you own a 30 bar house in Camps Bay and your daily driver is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo Why would you ride a 30k Giant TCR?

Sounds like a good decision to me.  Spend money on investment and not toys.

or a second hand bike... :ph34r:

In many instances I doubt it to be for performance gain, but rather a status symbol.

Like buying a Ferrari or Porsche.

People buy it because they can.

I can't.! :D

You will be surprised at how many of those drivers really can't and live on high debt...........that risk is their drug and they like to show off

If you can get a million rand Porsche for 500k in good condition bargain same with the bikes. 

If you can get a million rand Porsche for 500k in good condition bargain same with the bikes. 

for sure :thumbup:

Am sure some of these bikes are bought on finance.... the bug of cycling and getting fit has diminished and now the superbike is collecting dust, but still paying for it.  So better to sell it and pay off the finance!

Am sure some of these bikes are bought on finance.... the bug of cycling and getting fit has diminished and now the superbike is collecting dust, but still paying for it.  So better to sell it and pay off the finance!

are you saying these specific superbikes would be in mint condition and a bargain then?

If you have the 500K or equivalent for a bike.

For me it just seems that bikes have ratcheted up in price at an almost unbelievable rate (along with other items to be fair) but when I was say a teenager a fair while ago I could save and get a relatively new bike towards the higher end. Now the higher end seems way out of reach.

But it also seems as though R10 - R15K can still get decent bang for buck.

Which makes me wonder some more who would be buying 2nd hand at say R60 to R70K...

Some mid-week musings.

From what I know is that the more expensive bikes on the hub don't sell easily. It's usually the 15-25k bikes that sell. People who can afford the more expensive bikes would usually just buy them new rather than second hand bikes because why not buy something new when you have the money.

You don't need an expensive bike. Ovcourse you can't ride a skadonk. But if you have an ftp of 200 then a bike that's worth 60k+ is certainly not going to give you any advantages.

Hi all,

Every so often when browsing the Classifieds I catch sight of a bike selling for excess of R60K and was just wondering what the market is like for second hand bikes in this category?

Some times I feel like I must be getting really old when I catch my reaction to bikes selling for close on R 100 000 etc. 

Other than Pro and Cat A cyclists who else is buying these bikes and what are the performance gains for an average rider over say a 25 or 30 grand bike?

Just curious.

P

R100k you say.Have a read here.

https://www.bicycling.co.za/bikes-gear/dream-bikes-argonaut-road-disc/?fbclid=IwAR2x7HtYlx-Xrd991281KZ_wtdjsLOlcYrgOIN86tpIglXFBeHp_9yoYo8o

Archived