Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

215k on a bike where the big blade is only a 50t. What a waste.

50t is all you need to cruise past the coffee spots.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All these comments...........well.....almost 99% of them.........based on capital value and asset value etc. etc.

I don't buy a bike to try and think "boy.....I am going to make a loss on this.....or.....this is a good investment......"

No.

I buy the bike because I love the brand, the look, the color, shape, characteristics etc. and I know that each time I am going to throw my leg over it, I will smile and enjoy the super machine that it is.  

Those smiles....memories....photos....places I saw.....sunrises....sunsets......cannot be bought or compared with money or asset value or investment value or returns when you will eventually sell it.

I will always make a financial loss when I sell my old bike......but it won't matter.  Because what I got in return is more valuable than money.  

But that's just me. 

10 gazillion eleventy agreed!!!!!

215k on a bike where the big blade is only a 50t. What a waste.

Yup, that's the real crime. Trek also sell their SLR8 super aero bike with dura ace for R129k with a 50 crank so you can spin at 140rpm at 50km/h down Kloof Nek? Confusing

If it was as aero as they claim it should come with a 56 big ring LOL

Edited by Andreas_187

I justify the price of a bike by knowing that if I didn't cycle I would weigh 110kg instead of 70kg!

My wife justifies the price of a bike by knowing she has a peaceful Sunday morning at home while I'm out of the house.

Edited by Andreas_187

I feel like I have created a monster (but in a nice Monsters Inc and not Frankenstein way).

As with most things, the price of something can mostly be attributed to a story that then resonates with people.

Hand-crafted steel from Toleno, lovingly put together by <insert famous riders name here> or aircraft grade aluminium tubing, machine honed, lugged and assembled by a nomadic tribe or super scientific carbon layup in 6 dimensions straight from Area 51 or the like. 

And then we swing a leg over the top bar (unless you ride one of those odd Zipp machines from the 90's), grin like a hooligan and ride off.

I guess the original musing that led to me creating the thread is, are there people out there buying 2nd hand "super-bikes" in the +60K price range or would they rather buy a really, really nice new bike for that price (seeing as if you were wanting a super-bike you might want a new one rather than a previously owned one).

And I guess my other musing is, would I as a complete weekend warrior and hack really be able to tell the difference between say a year or 2 old nice Bianchi and the Pinarello's ridden by Team Ineos this year if I got to ride them?

Ja eish - that's a special kind of eina that !!

it is, but its not limited to bikes, when I was in IT we would advise to buy the best you can afford at the time, if you're always waiting for the latest tech to come out you will never buy, because as soon as one model is released the next one is being "leaked" to the world.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy it.

For years I rode very much entry level steel and ali bikes, they served me well and I could never justify spending even 10k on a bike. Especially as I was hanging with guys on carbon bikes in races.

This year the bug bit,I set a 10k limit and started looking. Decided I did not need Carbon as I could not afford to be getting cracks etc. I needed something robust.

The Giant Contend I landed up with feels like a superbike compared to what I was used to.

All these comments...........well.....almost 99% of them.........based on capital value and asset value etc. etc.

I don't buy a bike to try and think "boy.....I am going to make a loss on this.....or.....this is a good investment......"

No.

I buy the bike because I love the brand, the look, the color, shape, characteristics etc. and I know that each time I am going to throw my leg over it, I will smile and enjoy the super machine that it is.  

Those smiles....memories....photos....places I saw.....sunrises....sunsets......cannot be bought or compared with money or asset value or investment value or returns when you will eventually sell it.

I will always make a financial loss when I sell my old bike......but it won't matter.  Because what I got in return is more valuable than money.  

But that's just me. 

Fully agree. Will ride my bike till it breaks or until it gets expropriated.  Have insurance to cover both events at least.

By the sound of things on the interweb, my bike will soon be 2 generations old. Do I need the sell my bike to get te latest and greatest? No. Still can't even ride my bike to the full potential is has to offer. So  I will just keep enjoying the ride, exploring trails with my mates, and push myself until either the bike, or I (greater chance of that) breaks.

I went from a Silverback Sierra to a Trek 100 AL (which I loved) to a Scott Spark 900 Premium and not because I could but because Scott was just better, better feel, better ride, far superior suspension compared to the Trek (Rockshox Reba and Rockshox RL rear) and overall just better bike and it showed on my first ride out on my Strava times.  

So if people say that more expensive doesn't mean better then they are mistaken or not using the bikes they ride to the max that they can handle.  The Trek was great but I got to the point where it was just not good enough for me and needed to go the next step to fully enjoy what I was doing.  I have upgrade to Carbon rims recently and the difference was immediate, the feel better and my times going down on segments once again so sometimes "IF YOU BUY CORRECTLY" the more expensive bits makes a huge difference.

I bought my dream bike 2nd hand and I will do it again!

I couldn't warrant paying R180k for a new one, so when a used one came onto the hub in my size I bought it, cash.

The guy who bought new took a huge knock, similar to the knock one takes when selling a brand new car a year later, you easily lose 50% of the value.

2 of my mates have also bought used superbikes in the last month, each in excess of R50k. But these bikes new would have cost double that.

My car is a 2013 and its paid off and I have a modest house, but nothing makes me as happy as riding the bike of my dreams. I love the looks the bike gets, I love the conversations it starts when Im riding in a bunch and I love the performance, bells and whistles.

Its all about priorities, so dont just assume that the guy on the flashy bike financed it, maybe he saved and waited for the perfect one to come his way. Or like me, maybe he didnt buy a new car and instead saved his car payments till he could buy the bike of his dreams

I justify the price of a bike by knowing that if I didn't cycle I would weigh 110kg instead of 70kg!

My wife justifies the price of a bike by knowing she has a peaceful Sunday morning at home while I'm out of the house.

I justify the money I spend on cycling knowing that I don't have to spend it on therapy.

Me thinks a Raleigh Rc3000 might be out of place.

To be fair that bike looks a bit out of place, cable shifters and all

To be fair that bike looks a bit out of place, cable shifters and all

carefull now, Di2 is VERY expensive and you will be judged if someone sees it on your bike - you might get labelled as a SHOWOFF or even worse ...... -_-

I justify the money I spend on cycling knowing that I don't have to spend it on therapy.

Give this man a Bells!!! Too true!!!!

meh...i built a ~R50k steel rigid hardtail. The only light thing on it is the Saint groupset and the carbon trail fork.

The wheels are laced with Hope hubs and HEAVY Sun mtx33 rims. bombproof. I have a Cromo Surly klunker handlebar on it that weighs the same as 2 x alu ones. I have 29x2.6 tires on it that weigh 1kg each and don't like rolling at mach1 either. I use tubes with sealant too because who cares what you think.  I have permanently mounted frame bags on it which cary spares and tools for 2 bikes and whatever else i feel like....because backpacks suck. I carry 2 water bottles under said bags. it has a dropper that weighs around 600g. Nice and chubby.

It weighs upwards of 15kg's with the above - RTR. I don't care, and neither should you.

I love the way it looks and rides...and the best part is, it is unique and it is mine and you cant walk into a store and buy one even if you had 100k to swipe immediately because i have the only one.

Because nice things take time and effort.

i'll never pay that money for a 'cookie cutter' bike. I like knowing I have something you cant have unless you took a photo of mine, made a list, sourced all the parts yourself, dealt with UPS, importers and Sars ..and put it together yourself.

..and even then it wouldnt be yours...it would just be a copy of mine :thumbup:  :P

Edited by morneS555