HowardSteele

Bitten on the bike  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you hubbers have been bitten or stung by one of the following critters

• Bee
    • wasp
    • Blind-fly
    • Bee-fly
    • Mozzie
    • Tick
    • Spider
    • Scorpion
    • Snake
    • Dog
    • Other..please leave a account in the comments.

Where did this occurs?

On the Southwell Road heading for Grahamstown ( Makhanda). First and steepest part of the last climb on tar. Bush all round.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got klapped this morning.

Doing about 45 km/h, wind behind me, enjoying the fresh morning and BAMB!!!!, right between the eyes something hits me.

At first I was "its just a bug"

Then it started stinging and looking up out the corner of my eye I could see the little critter flapping in the wind just above my shades.

Grabbed him off but the stinger stayed behind.

With sweat running over the sting the last 5km home was not pleasant.

First thing I did when I walked through the door was get the wife to pull the stinger out.

At NF I occasionally got bitten on the ass by a big fly (assume horse fly?) and it would sting/itch for weeks afterwards.

Thankfully none of the others.

Did anyone ever get chased by the hippo at NF? Would that count?

Add to that is the malaria they carry. There is no words to describe full blown malaria. Small insect, bloody big impact.

Easily my least favourite insect. Closely followed by mozzies. The relentless, high-pitched whine. You know they're there, and then they fly close to your ears and yyou try to get em while you're in that place inbetween wakefulness and slumber. GAH!

Same thing happened to me years ago in the Namaqualand. Miles from home and the bee stung me in the smallest space between the helmet and my glasses. I had nothing to remove the stinger with and scratching it out with a nail was not a good idea. On top of that, I got a flat on the way back home. Those were the days long before tubeless and Stan's. At the end of it my face was twice the size when I got home. 

Doing about 45 km/h, wind behind me, enjoying the fresh morning and BAMB!!!!, right between the eyes something hits me.

Then it started stinging and looking up out the corner of my eye I could see the little critter flapping in the wind just above my shades.

First thing I did when I walked through the door was get the wife to pull the stinger out.

And this morning I’ve had to cancel my ride and head off to the doc.

Overnight my face swelled, can hardly see out my eyes.

I’m not normally allergic but this little bugger must have been on EPO and stung me extra good.

I wonder if the speed helps the sting go in - got one at about 65kmph going down ou kaapse weg last weekend - felt a little ouch on the top of my thigh - looked down to see the bee clinging on and then falling away. Thought he'd left his stinger on top of the lycra but a week later he's still making me remember him.

My daughter keeps bees in the back yard and I've only been stung once in return for all the honey we enjoy from them. Amazing creatures.

One thing to know is that when a bee stings you the pheromones released paint you as a target for the rest of the swarm ....

And this morning I’ve had to cancel my ride and head off to the doc.

Overnight my face swelled, can hardly see out my eyes.

I’m not normally allergic but this little bugger must have been on EPO and stung me extra good.

I managed to get a bee in my mouth, stung the inside of my bottom lip. Asked some passerby to stick his hands into my mouth to pull out the sting :nuke: . He managed to squeeze every last drop of poison into my lip before actually removing it. Latter part of the ride home felt like I had a water balloon attached to the lower half of my face.

post-109075-0-17793900-1571037172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ndlovu

At NF I occasionally got bitten on the ass by a big fly (assume horse fly?) and it would sting/itch for weeks afterwards.

Thankfully none of the others.

Did anyone ever get chased by the hippo at NF? Would that count?

No, but got chased by a Zebra at Koeberg.

I got bitten by a bee on Saturday. I think he didnt like my red socks. He latched onto me like a boerboel on a tresspasser. Itching like a STD today.

post-16512-0-94075900-1571045795_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Vetseun

I managed to get a bee in my mouth, stung the inside of my bottom lip. Asked some passerby to stick his hands into my mouth to pull out the sting :nuke: . He managed to squeeze every last drop of poison into my lip before actually removing it. Latter part of the ride home felt like I had a water balloon attached to the lower half of my face.

Eina!!

I managed to get a bee in my mouth, stung the inside of my bottom lip. 

My lady got stung on her tongue a few months ago. As we're rolling in to Noordhoek off chappies she jumps on the anchors and tells me she's been stung by something. I scraped the sting out. It sounds bizarre but the mouth heals incredibly quickly.

I got done on the scone on Saturday. I'm 90% sure it was a bee but I can't be 100% sure. I felt the critter in my helmet and then BAM! Yanked my helmet off and scratched. My mate couldn't see the sting. I'm pretty sure I scratched it out.

This has to be the best first photo ever Ndlovu and I think you should make it your profile pic.

This has to be the best first photo ever Ndlovu and I think you should make it your profile pic.

agree 100% and he didn't even complain in his first post. Give that man a Bells!!

Hold on - he did crit the passer by who helped him for squeezing all the toxins out the sting - but to be fair at least he didn't bit the hand that .....

agree 100% and he didn't even complain in his first post. Give that man a Bells!!