These dam cyclists!!

Chingy182

The dam is getting the wall lifted to cater for the growing need of the town. When I lived in George (since 1980) the dam was never a problem in terms of water shortages. The first time there was a problem was in 2008, and then already there were calls to increase the wall height to alleviate drought related issues, but as always, the municipality decided to ignore the problem the moment it started raining again in around 2009. I left in 2013. I am glad they have begun lifting the wall at last.

but the damns are not full because the previous regime built them to big  :w00t:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dam is getting the wall lifted to cater for the growing need of the town. When I lived in George (since 1980) the dam was never a problem in terms of water shortages. The first time there was a problem was in 2008, and then already there were calls to increase the wall height to alleviate drought related issues, but as always, the municipality decided to ignore the problem the moment it started raining again in around 2009. I left in 2013. I am glad they have begun lifting the wall at last.

Still, cyclists all mountain users should know better than to go venture in a place they KNOW they don't belong.  I am still not buying the whole thing of him not being close to the wall construction site. If the guy fell either side of the wall, an ambulance could get there without needing a road to be specially built. Either from Stander Street side, or from Saasveld side. The medical rescue crew would in either case not need to walk more than say 50 meters either way.

I am calling BS on the whole "this is being reported incorrectly" story by the "victim".

Would have been easier to just get a helicopter!

Would have been easier to just get a helicopter!

Like they did 3 weeks ago at Hoogekraal when some poor bloke went OTB at the bottom of the Cobra on the infamous rock wall. Helivac came to the rescue.

And I suspect last Sunday again as I came barreling down past Durbanville Hills towards Contermans. The ER24 chopper came past towards Hoogekraal again.

WHILE on the case with the GEORGE TRAILS

Please read the following: 

19 September 2019: Controlled fires planned for Garden Route Dam Area

Please note the George Municipality Fire Department will be conducting controlled burns around the Garden Route Dam as part of fuel reduction and veld fire management activities ON FRIDAY 20 September 2019, as per the attached graphic BLOCK 1 & 2. These activities are weather and wind direction dependent and further updates will be put out tomorrow should there be any amendments.

The George Municipality assures the public of its ongoing commitment to fire safety management and thank the affected public in advance for their patience during the controlled burn activities above their homes.

Issued George Municipality

70562098_3306325319392517_35626603783011

WHILE on the case with the GEORGE TRAILS

Please read the following: 

19 September 2019: Controlled fires planned for Garden Route Dam Area

Please note the George Municipality Fire Department will be conducting controlled burns around the Garden Route Dam as part of fuel reduction and veld fire management activities ON FRIDAY 20 September 2019, as per the attached graphic BLOCK 1 & 2. These activities are weather and wind direction dependent and further updates will be put out tomorrow should there be any amendments.

The George Municipality assures the public of its ongoing commitment to fire safety management and thank the affected public in advance for their patience during the controlled burn activities above their homes.

Issued George Municipality

70562098_3306325319392517_35626603783011

If this gets out of control, the Karoo to Coast folks are going to have a miserable day in the saddle considering the prevailing wind on the day with all the smoke they will be contending with on top of everything else.

If this gets out of control, the Karoo to Coast folks are going to have a miserable day in the saddle considering the prevailing wind on the day with all the smoke they will be contending with on top of everything else.

I'm also nervously keeping an eye on this, flying down to George on the 24th. Will not be fun to come into that runway with low visibility....

I'm also nervously keeping an eye on this, flying down to George on the 24th. Will not be fun to come into that runway with low visibility....

Nah, it should be fine. The prevailing westerly wind should keep Rwy27 clear and visibility good for VFR approach unless conditions deteriorate to ILS. This does not happen too often at George.

Nah, it should be fine. The prevailing westerly wind should keep Rwy27 clear and visibility good for VFR approach unless conditions deteriorate to ILS. This does not happen too often at George.

Rwy 29

Depend who you flying with they can do a gnss app and landing

Rwy 29 Depend who you flying with they can do a gnss app and landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlvy3sTTBk

Thanks fellas, I don't speak pilot but I take it I have nothing to worry about?

That's what they told Hansie as well :ph34r:

Ha ha.

But that was pilot error. Did not follow standard published procedures.

Strange how that never ended up with quite as many wild theories as Gavin Watson or Brett Kebble  :ph34r:

I do remember one or two quite outlandish conspiracy theories around the Hansie incident.

Something to the extent of the bookies sabotaging the plane in an attempt to prevent him from spilling the beans on more of them...

Luckily this was in the pre-Facebook era where rumours and hearsay didn't spread like wild fire

you have just pulled about 10 threads together with one comment... hahaha

but yes, i agree with you.

Strange how that never ended up with quite as many wild theories as Gavin Watson or Brett Kebble  :ph34r: